Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I upgrade from 35mm and 25mm swaybars to T1's 38mm and 27mm??

Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I upgrade from 35mm and 25mm swaybars to T1's 38mm and 27mm??

Was wondering if a 10% increase in sway bar size would make a big difference??

Track times are key so if I get .5-1 second on a 90 second track i would be ready to go.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 PM
BAD FNZ
Heel & Toe

Interested in this too... is there anything thicker than the T1 bars?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

10% more diameter gets you much more than 10% increased stiffness.

Also, as far as weight goes, the T1 sway bars are substantially heavier. This leads me to believe the wall thickness of the tubing is much thicker, too, which will lead to more stiffness.

Maybe someone else has a tangible number that represents the difference in stiffness, but I do not.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:00 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Was wondering if a 10% increase in sway bar size would make a big difference??

Track times are key so if I get .5-1 second on a 90 second track i would be ready to go.

Based on my F-body experience it makes a difference. I am going to go from Z51 sizes to T1 on my FRC.

Falcon has them and the car does know the difference....
Old 03-25-2006, 07:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD FNZ
Interested in this too... is there anything thicker than the T1 bars?
Thicker then T1?

Once you drive with them sometimes you want something between ZO6 and T1, not thicker.
10% thicker is 50% stiffer.( not exact but close) Which may sound good, but that is only a a perfectly flat and smoothy surface.

T1 and 03 Z51 ( same front as ZO6)

I run a full T1 suppension, on the track it is great, no body roll in corners, minimal suppension movement, which you think is good. Not always. You get a gater and your whole car gets bumped and can be tossed around.

I drove my car into town last month to a club metting. Took the wife with my too. I though I was going to loose all my fillings, my body hurt for going over all the normal road bumps and cracks, not too mention the car kept wanting to fall down the road crown to the right.

The T1 or comperable is great for the track, but not for street use.

Now the other challange, GM no longer makes the T1 bars for the C5 rear and the front T1 bars are hard to find. GM is only making the T1 system for the C6. The rear C6 T1 bars do have 3 holes on each end of the bar for adjustments, however, the tail pipe is in the way on the C5.

The upgrade makes a big difference in handeling.
Jake Lantham's web site has those numbers
http://www.jakelatham.com/c5/misc/faq.shtml#2-3

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-25-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Based on my F-body experience it makes a difference. I am going to go from Z51 sizes to T1 on my FRC.

Falcon has them and the car does know the difference....
I've had many people ask about how the T1 bars feel and I must admit, I can't feel the difference. It's very apparent, though, that they are working since all of my lap times at the various tracks have decreased. Rest assured it's not because of my skills, so it has to be because of the T1's. It allows me to get back on the gas quicker after every turn.

At VIR I'm now on the rev limiter (145+) before I brake for turn 1. That means I'm getting out of the Hog Pen complex with more speed. In the past, I'd be ~138.

At Road Atlanta, I'm on the rev limiter at about T.9 on the long back stretch now, and before I would be on the rev limiter just before braking. That means I'm getting off of T.7 faster.

I've got a video editor that allows me to overlay one film clip on to another. Sometime when i get off of my lazy ***, I'm going to do that with some footage at different turns with before T1 bars and after T1 bars. That should be an interesting comparison.

IMHO, the T1 bars will probably show the best return of all the items we buy without a major mod to the car.

Chris, I'm not sure how much difference they will make on your car since you already have the VBP bars, but I'd think there'd be some postive difference.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Yeah, I am thinking the T1 bars will make a nice difference.
Had to much roll in 12 and other places.

Not as bad as stock but still not flat as a board. When I start running the slicks I won't want that much movement is my thought.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Bar stiffness increases by the outside diameter to the 4th power.

I have T1 bars and don't mind them on the street. The suspension is still much softer than my brothers '88 Z51.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I upgrade from 35mm and 25mm swaybars to T1's 38mm and 27mm??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I upgrade from 35mm and 25mm swaybars to T1's 38mm and 27mm??