Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from VIR Lodge...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Greetings from VIR Lodge...

Track conditions are going to be a bit chilly, but hopefully dry. I wasn't able to get our normal spot and set up the corral, but we've got several members here in attendance and three of us have corralled our cars aroung Jim's gorgious GT3. Should be a good weekend and I wish more of the regulars were here.

I'm in the A run group, and with the iffy weather conditions, I'm kinda glad I brought the Kumhos instead of slicks!

I'll have footage to post somewhere next week!
Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I will take VIR right now over LRP where I am - It is chilly up here and chance of snow
Old 03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Track conditions are going to be a bit chilly, but hopefully dry. I wasn't able to get our normal spot and set up the corral, but we've got several members here in attendance and three of us have corralled our cars aroung Jim's gorgious GT3. Should be a good weekend and I wish more of the regulars were here.

I'm in the A run group, and with the iffy weather conditions, I'm kinda glad I brought the Kumhos instead of slicks!

I'll have footage to post somewhere next week!
Mike

Mike, I am thinking of pulling off the Kumho's and putting on the Goodyears!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my slicks on the car right now...driving up in the morning, im hoping now snow...they say a chance of snow online
Old 03-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

About to go to bed... I have my kumho's on the car w/ the Hoosiers in tow.

Current forecast says sunny w/ a high of 56 tomorrow and similar for sunday. A little more sprinkling tongiht, then drying out.

Should make for some good fun... I may run the first session w/ my street tires on.

See you all bright and early... trying to get there at 6:30ish.

It's nice staying free w/ my parents... but staying at VIR must be sweet... more sleep, less driving, but more expense.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:58 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

We're staying just top the right of the new construction building on the front row guys.. See you there!

Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 06:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have fun guys. Freefall and I were at Redshifts wifes birthday party last night. my head hurts.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

You guys have a safe day. Spank some Audi Azz and give us reports during the day. We'll be watching.

Go get 'em!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Wasn't the day I had hoped for, and My vette sits broke on the trailer yet again.

I'm pretty much done guys. This car will be gone within a month. I'll fix it, clean it up, and then it's adios.

I don't think I'll be buying another one either... I'm pretty much done.
Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Mike I feel for you man... it really sucks that you put so much effort getting that car ready to go again and they something as random as the clutch master goes... whoever heard of that happening to a HPDE oriented car?

Overall the day was great for me... we lucke dout with the weather and got all our runs in.

1st session was very interesting... running on cold Kumho street tires I couldn't give the car any throttle at all w/o the back end kicking out... just took it easy that session and focused on my line and keeping my eyes up.

2nd session again on street tires, but track was dry now and the Kumho's got some heat into them so I could push the car. However the brakes felt like crap (pulsing) and The H's have too much rear bite for how I was breaking. I'd jump into the brakes and the rear would get squirly. Also, I have the stock shifter back in the car and I kept getting a grind downshifting into 3rd... either my synchros are going (55k on the car) or it was ust poor/hand foot timing b/c I've never tracked the car w/ the stock shifter. Hurst is going back in asap. I had it out to machine it to accept a C6 ****.

3rd session... on Hoosiers... started at 37 psi cold all the way around. Car felt good, but still some grinding on the downshift if I tried too fast, and brakes were "ok". I made sure to do every downshift a bit slower and more diliberate and the grinding stopped.

4th session... car was on point. The brakes pulsing stopped, I realized that w/ the H's I have to ease into them a bit before getting down hard (stopped the unsettling of the car) and I had no grinding at all. I got some great clear track and got to really roll.

Oh and guess what I didn't crack any brake rotors today! on wood that tomorrow goes just as well. It's amazing!

The new 6-pt G-force harness is working well w/ the stock seat, but alas the stock seat still blows. Luckily (or unfortunately) I'm plenty big that it's easy for me to use the door/console to brace myself. I'll probably stick it out w/ the stocker until the day I can afford a truck/trailer stup. I re-confirmed that I fit well in a Corbeau Forza and not at all in a Sparco Evo L.

Going to actually get sleep tonight (2 hrs last night) and hopefully it gets a hair warmer for tomorrow.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 03-25-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope your tranny isn't going like mine did. If you shift like street driving is it OK?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Hope your tranny isn't going like mine did. If you shift like street driving is it OK?
It gives me no issue when normal street driving... feels great. Only when I make downshifts into 3rd quickly.

I've tested it on the highway... if I'm going say 75, then put the clutch in and put it in 3rd it goes in w/o issue... no grind. However I think my foot/hand timing is off w/ the longer vague stock sifter.

The trans is seeping (nothing getting on the floor of my garage) from the front seal now. I had the rear seal fixed last spring. So if it's screwed up I still have a major guard extended warranty and I'll just have it re-built, have the upgraded forks put in, and have it all re-sealed.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a damn good time today. got an exceptional instructor, and it looks like sunny skies for sunday.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

wally what are you driving?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:17 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
wally what are you driving?
only red z06 out there. tearin up D group... WOO....

... (gotta start somewhere )
Old 03-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Ah I gotcha... I know who you are now... Cee ya in an hour.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
only red z06 out there.
Do us red Z06's proud out there, Wally!

Get notified of new replies

To Greetings from VIR Lodge...

Quick Reply: Greetings from VIR Lodge...