Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Suit

Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Racing Suit

It is about time I finally bought a fire retardant race suit. It has been 5 years of wearing long sleeve shirts and jeans. At the speeds I am going, I need more.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the different types of suits used for HPDE, their upsides and downsides. Are there some that don't fit well, maybe too hot, some that breath better than others, and so on.

I know saftey is number #1, but I'm not buying the $1000 race suit for occasional HPDE. How about the G-Force stuff...I hear good things about them? I don't like the idea of a full suit (too hot), but I do like the seperate pants and jacket they sell. I have seen many of these at HPDE's and think it's a nice upgrade for someone stepping up from jeans and a long sleeve cotton t-shirts.

I was looking at this set up...what do you think?

http://www.gforce.com/products/racingsuits/gf105.html

They also make a 505, in a pant/jacket combo. It's more expensive, but has some kind of coolquilt? I could see this being important on a hot day...is it worth the extra$$$

http://www.gforce.com/products/racingsuits/gf505.html

Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Flame Crusher makes a good suit

http://www.flamecrusher.com/flame.html

Made not far from VIR is South Boston VA

I have a Sparko 2 layer. SFI 3.2A/5

Between runs I take it off. Keep a pair of light weight shorts on and a tee-shirt or Cool Suit shirt on. under neath the suit. Take those off to air out and change between runs.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I like the pant/jacket combo, because I can take off the jacket and leave the pants on while working on the car and hanging around. I don't want to be getting in and out of a suit 5 times a day...
Old 03-24-2006, 03:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
..... Take those off to air out and change between runs.

Very important when you ride with students or TimZO6
Old 03-24-2006, 03:25 PM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Sparco 2 layer for me. Great sale on saferacer.com on the Fashion 5.
The fit is great I think because they come in European sizes, not just SM, MED, and LRG.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

what's the difference between European sizes?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:57 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

www.westcoperformance.com
Old 03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Custom Suit at Westcoperformance

Just received my 2-layer custom Nomex suit from Westcoperformance. I'm very pleased. I was able to customize the style and colors on line and then I took their form to my tailor for measurements. You can also customize cuffs, epaulets, etc., etc.

Total cost, including shipping, was under $350 with some add-ons. It will take 3-4 weeks from the time they receive your measurements form.

http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/index.html
Old 03-24-2006, 05:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your are looking for protection one piece. Look on the Simpson web site it shows you how long each rating last. One layer is not long at all. Safety truck would not even be near you in time.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Old 03-24-2006, 06:19 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

My wife bought me a G-force featherwieght/lightwieght multilayer for last Christmas - it has worked out great....

Legal without the extra layer of underwear....
Old 03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Gasser
Instructor

I have a sparco 3 layer suit and you get what you pay for in comfort and breathability. Protection is very good. Get a coolsuit if you are worried about the heat. They work great and you won't want to get out of your car at the end of the session. Its like A/C in your pants

Another good thing about a good suit is the shoulder handles so in an accident, the corner workers can pull you out by these if you are unconscious and the car is either leaking fuel or on fire.

Get a suit and be safe. Don't want to burn up having fun with our toys. Funny, people will spend 1000 on tires for two to three weekends but won't spring for a 1000 suit that will last quite a while and possibly save their life someday.

A good set of driving shoes makes a world of differance as well IMO. These should also be made of a fire retardant material. Get the socks as well and those of us with beards need a balaclava if you want to take protection seriously.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

SFI Foundation Specs Assure Quality Driver Suits

by Jennifer M. Faye

Years ago, drivers fearlessly climbed into their racecars wearing only cotton T-shirts and jeans. These days, most of us are more informed about driver safety and the importance of being protected from head-to-toe in any racing event. The ability of someone to emerge from a burning car virtually unscathed is a direct result of this recent increase in personal safety awareness.

Of course, racing is inherently risky but the chance of injury can be reduced if you take the time to protect yourself properly. Personal safety is a system of the driver suit, accessories, and helmet. The hub of this system is the driver suit.

There are many things that influence what kind of suit you get such as sanctioning body rules, track requirements, the type and speed of your car, etc. How do you put these factors together to ensure you buy the suit that is right for you? Some drivers look for a manufacturer's name they know or trust. Other people may be new to the sport and not as familiar with the products available.

No matter how much you already know (or don't know) about driver suits, you always have a standard that will guide you in your choice of a well-made garment. That standard is the SFI Foundation Specification 3.2A for Driver Suits. You have probably noticed the black and white SFI patch on many drivers' left shoulders at various tracks, from drag strips to dirt ovals. The patch demonstrates that the manufacturer certifies the suit to meet or exceed the SFI specification.

What does this mean to the consumer? It means that there is a way to differentiate the quality-assured products from the untested products. A driver suit that is certified to meet the SFI spec has been laboratory tested and has passed the requirements of that test. Before getting into the details of the testing procedures, it is necessary to understand what the SFI Foundation is and what it does.

SFI is a non-profit organization established to issue and administer standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment. This includes parts like clutch assemblies and fuel cells as well as personal driver safety items.

The standards/specifications are created via a committee process. The technical committees are comprised of individuals from all facets of the industry. Through their expertise and research, a spec is drafted and then offered to all interested parties in the form of a public hearing. Once revised to the committee's satisfaction, the spec is presented to the SFI Board of Directors for approval. If approved, the spec is published and made available to the public. Sanctioning bodies all over the world include SFI specs in their rulebooks and use them as minimum requirements.

The driver suit spec 3.2A tests a garment's fire retardant capabilites. The spec contains a rating system based on the garment's capability to provide Thermal Protective Performance (TPP) in the presence of both direct flame and radiant heat. The purpose of the TPP is to measure the length of time the person wearing the garment can be exposed to a heat source before incurring a second degree, or skin blistering, burn.

The TPP rating is the product of exposure heat flux and exposure time. The TPP results can be converted to the time before a second degree burn occurs. The higher the garment rating, the more time before a second degree burn. Here are the SFI ratings with the corresponding TPP values and times to a second degree burn:

I took out the TTP ratings below as it seemed less confusing but here is the link for the TTP value http://www.sfifoundation.com/driversuit.html

SFI Rating TPP Value Time to 2nd Degree Burn
3.2A/1 3 Seconds
3.2A/3 7 Seconds
3.2A/5 10 Seconds
3.2A/10 19 Seconds
3.2A/15 30 Seconds
3.2A/20 40 Seconds

Another test included in the spec is the after-flame test. When a direct flame is applied the fabric and them removed, the time it takes the material to self-extinguish is measured. This is called after-flame time and it must be 2.0 seconds or less for the layer of fabric to pass. Cuff material is also subjected to this test.

The flammability test evaluates single layers of fabric only. The individual layers of a multiple-layer suit are tested for after-flame time separately.

The TPP test can be used to evaluate multiple-layer configurations as well as single-layer fabrics. The samples used in testing are assembled with the identical fabrics and layer order as an actual driver suit.

Other tests required by Spec 3.2A include thread heat resistance, zipper heat resistance, and multiple layer thermal shrinkage resistance.

A common misunderstanding about SFI ratings is that they represent the number of fabric layers in the garment. It is actually possible for driver suits with various numbers of layers to have the same performance rating. This is due to the wide range of materials used by manufacturers today.

The radiant heat portion of the spec is significant because the majority of racer burns are caused by heat transfer rather than direct flame. Insulation is the best way to prevent this kind of burn. Using multiple layers of fabric helps keep the heat source away from the skin longer because each layer creates air gaps that have to heat up. The extra seconds gained with each layer are precious to a driver trying to escape from a burning car.

Another way to obtain extra air gaps is to wear racing underwear. Nomex underwear should be worn with every type of driver suit, especially single layer suits because it will double the protection time (+3 seconds). The 3.2A rating does not include underwear. It is certified through SFI Spec 3.3 for Driver Accessories and undergoes the same TPP and flammability tests as the driver suit outerwear.

A garment's insulation capability is also affected by the fit of the suit. A suit worn too tight will compress the air gaps and allow heat to reach the skin faster.

There are other things you can do besides finding a correct fit to optimize the protection performance of your driver suit. For maintaining the quality of your suit, it is absolutely essential to read the care tag on the garment and closely follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Avoid wearing your suit while working on the car. Not only would you be ruining an expensive piece of equipment, but you would essentially be inviting a fire to burn you. Grease, fuel, oil, and even cleaning fluids can soak into the fabric and support the flames of a fire, causing high heat. Fluids soaked into a suit also produce steam when exposed to heat and cause liquid vaporization burns.

If you are ever involved in a fire, discard your suit and get a new one. Even the smallest singe is a weak spot in the material and can cause a problem if exposed to fire again. Proper maintenance of a driver suit will help extend its useful life and provide you with years of protection.

Auto racing is the fastest, most exciting sport in the world and with speed comes danger. Drivers put themselves at risk every time they climb into their racing machines. Fortunately, there is a program in the form of the SFI Foundation to help guide drivers in choosing quality protective equipment.

[Back to the Articles Menu

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-24-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Flame Crusher makes a good suit

http://www.flamecrusher.com/flame.html

Made not far from VIR is South Boston VA

I have a Sparko 2 layer. SFI 3.2A/5

Between runs I take it off. Keep a pair of light weight shorts on and a tee-shirt or Cool Suit shirt on. under neath the suit. Take those off to air out and change between runs.

SFI 3.2A/5 10 seconds to ignition I better go see what my Sparco is rated it was near 1,000 bucks hope it's good.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Good info for all. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Rolex24
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I just got my first Vette, 02 Z06, for the express purpose getting on the track with it...HDPE not competitive racing, at least not yet. I'm just ordering my harness bar, harnesses, Cobra seats and Helmet from MSI now so I can be ready for some upcoming events. I'm also getting some gloves and shoes from Speedware. I'm contemplating a Suit, my wife is actually encouraging it as she wants me to be as safe as possible.

My question is, when I show up at an event will I be looked down upon as a poser or racer wanna be if I'm decked out in all the gear? Especially since I'm inexperienced. I mean, I'm really a "don't give a crap what others think" kinda guy but I don't want to have a tough time getting "in" with the "regulars" either. You know, first impressions and all. What do you guys think?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Rolex24
My question is, when I show up at an event will I be looked down upon as a poser or racer wanna be if I'm decked out in all the gear? Especially since I'm inexperienced. I mean, I'm really a "don't give a crap what others think" kinda guy but I don't want to have a tough time getting "in" with the "regulars" either. You know, first impressions and all. What do you guys think?
no one looks down at safety.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Suit

Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
no one looks down at safety.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I bought the 505 G-Force from racerwholesale

http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalo...products_id=89

I was surprised by how good the quailty was considering it was less expensive then the rest.

I saw the lesser rating one and it looked cheesy compared to this one. I will take some pics over the weekend for you to see.

bob
Old 03-25-2006, 04:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rolex24
Guys, I just got my first Vette, 02 Z06, for the express purpose getting on the track with it...HDPE not competitive racing, at least not yet. I'm just ordering my harness bar, harnesses, Cobra seats and Helmet from MSI now so I can be ready for some upcoming events. I'm also getting some gloves and shoes from Speedware. I'm contemplating a Suit, my wife is actually encouraging it as she wants me to be as safe as possible.

Hold your hand over the burner on the stove. Then tell me if you are worried about posing as anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing Suit