Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heat cycling

I just picked up a new set of tires . Sumitomo 275X17 and 315 X 17. The place I bought from couldn't give me information on how to heat cycle (for autoX and track use) i e-mailed sumitomo - but so far no answer. Anyone care to offer some wisdom and guidance?

Carl Johansson
Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Mount and balance the tires on a set of wheels.

Mount tire/wheel combo on a car.

Run the tires untill they get up to 180-190dF* for at least 5 minutes but do not slide the car around while doing this. One long-ish session will suffice or two shorter sessions. Don't let the tires get above 190dF and try to get them this hot while driving at 70%-80% so you are not using all of the slip angle capabilities of the tires.

Dismount tire/wheels and let them sit (on their sides) for at least 24 hours out of direct sunlight.

Presto--heat cycled.
[*] probe tipped pyrometer works wonders here.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:10 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
I just picked up a new set of tires . Sumitomo 275X17 and 315 X 17. The place I bought from couldn't give me information on how to heat cycle (for autoX and track use) i e-mailed sumitomo - but so far no answer. Anyone care to offer some wisdom and guidance?

Carl Johansson

I have a set of Sumitomos in those exact sizes myself. After heat cycling as discussed above the tires will get progressively harder and slippery at the track - it was about 3-4 days for me. They are a good tire but my experience is they harden pretty fast. I have lots of tread on the tires but not much grip. They do make an excellent street tire for the money.

My work hardened ones do seem to hydroplane fairly easy now - but so does my old set of F1s.....
Old 03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Thanks for the info - can I get a little clarification here.

When I take em off the car after they have been heated - I leave em mounted on the wheels - right?

Also - I have an autoX scheduled for next weekend - with a track days the following weekend - can I use the new tires at the Auto X without heat cycling them? I can't imagine being able to build up enough heat in 5 runs to get to 190 degrees

as for the brand, I kind of figured they were not the optimum choice - I was really after the AFT wheels - and the combo package wasn't much more that the rims alone - so I figured - what the heck. i assume i will be replacing them fairly soon.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:49 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
Thanks for the info - can I get a little clarification here.

When I take em off the car after they have been heated - I leave em mounted on the wheels - right?

Also - I have an autoX scheduled for next weekend - with a track days the following weekend - can I use the new tires at the Auto X without heat cycling them? I can't imagine being able to build up enough heat in 5 runs to get to 190 degrees

as for the brand, I kind of figured they were not the optimum choice - I was really after the AFT wheels - and the combo package wasn't much more that the rims alone - so I figured - what the heck. i assume i will be replacing them fairly soon.

Thanks for the help guys!
YOu leave them on the rims

With these tires, to be honest, driving them on the street, then autox with track days following will be fine. I doubt you would notice the difference in the "final wear" or initial grip.

You will not get these tires to temp at an AutoX in my experience.

They are a great tire for the money.....

Get notified of new replies

To heat cycling

Quick Reply: heat cycling