Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was inevitable apparently!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was inevitable apparently!

Gone to the dark side!

Yes, it's true...no more street vette! Short story is: Vette plays with Vipers at Spring...Vette and driver having much fun and in that special zone at track...Vette develops similar ailment like first brother motor 382...bad reading from DIC, clank, clank, clank, bog, bog, bog, cough, cough! Thanx to #### de ja vu for driver yet again. Alas, no more daily driver for me. Learned my lesson finally, thanx to you know who ...perhaps, an expensive one but better late than never.

So, for those of you that know me, I will be absent for awhile...as I plan on saving for a dedicated track car...yes, I will be joining the likes of RyanO and emf eventually. Currently, researching the project and one thing for sure, I will be staying far away form the LS1/6 oil pump and spend the money for a true dry sump...can't quit now...been bitten and infected...might as well enjoy the ride. Are ya listen'n Hans?
Old 03-23-2006, 03:25 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

. . . and you only had to nuke 3 motors in the process.
Next thing you know, it won't really be the block that they were supposed to have installed. [but I digress]

It's all good -- you've been on the path to the dark side for a while. Now all 'ya gotta do is figure out where you're going to get all the cool stuff from.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:37 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

[QUOTE=emf]. . . and you only had to nuke 3 motors in the process.
Next thing you know, it won't really be the block that they were supposed to have installed. [but I digress]

technically 2, since I used the top end...oh wait, those weren't my heads

should have left the Rippie alone!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emf
. . . and you only had to nuke 3 motors in the process.

It's all good -- you've been on the path to the dark side for a while. Now all 'ya gotta do is figure out where you're going to get all the cool stuff from.
Just thankful that Ed is helping the economy grow at a robust rate.ED-buy a bigger enclosed trailer,bigger hauler truck,$100000 worth of tools and you are set.Scotty White has a fresh C5 Z T1 car for sale.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Thanx Mike but I'm stick'n to the grass roots method...it has a certain charm!

Already started gutting Vette...will have a parts list in a couple of weeks...as you know I love to break it down...it's almost like being at work!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Ed, what config were you running? I saw the times on Viper Days were over 3 minutes.

FYI...
Corvette Fever is doing a 2-part 7 liter LS-1 Darton build for a road racing track car. This issue was the parts and machine work, next month is the assembly and dyno.

Last edited by adamsocb; 03-23-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

bah, sleeved block.

World's shipping the LS7x stuff any day now.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

You've never reported any problems with driving the vette on the street....You've blown 3 motors at the track.....and that's your excuse for converting it to a track car? Are you blaming the blown motors on the rest of the car?????

Fess up....you're suffering from "D.D.D." (displacment deficit disease) from chasing all the Vipers.

Good luck on the project....and don't forget to TIGHTEN ALL THE BOLTS when you put it together
Old 03-24-2006, 09:38 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by emf
bah, sleeved block.

World's shipping the LS7x stuff any day now.
You mean this one:

World Warhawk LS7x

Is this for real?

LS7x 481 C.I. short block, built on the World Warhawk block, for $7500?

The Engine Shop

Last edited by adamsocb; 03-24-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ED--grab the checkbook--

$72,000.00
FOR SALE: Corvette ZO6, ROLEX GT car. Competing in the Grand American Rolex Series. This car will be sold as race ready. Complete with Penske shocks, Speedline wheels, air jacks, fuel safe cell, Brembo brakes, C6 head lights. Spares: complete body work, front nose, L & R front fenders, hood, L & R doors (new), L & R rear fenders , 2 rear bumper covers (1 new), windshield, front and rear suspension, set Penske shocks (newly rebuilt), springs, 2 spare transmissions, rear differential , 2 torque tubes (1 new), 12 Speedline wheels, rains, spare LS6 engine, spare set Brembo front brakes, hats & rotors, Pagent brake pads, hub bearings, spare head lights (new), many other small parts.
Car with above mentioned spares reduced to: $72,000.00.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:37 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

BUY AN ALREADY BUILT CAR!

save yourself!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:09 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

[QUOTE=adamsocb]Ed, what config were you running? I saw the times on Viper Days were over 3 minutes.

They were running the 3.8...My VRL,s weren't up to temp and with traffic I pulled 3:08's...not too shabby for first time...very tech track but was nice to have 5a/5b back!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:12 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryan0
BUY AN ALREADY BUILT CAR!

save yourself!
That's no fun...where's the journey!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:20 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure Ryan's tired of the journey. I haven't yet, but then again I show up to track events and work on OTHER PEOPLE'S cars . . . so I'm just disturbed.

Charles -- That'd be it. A couple extra $$$s w/ the direction that I'm going [and, I've got a funny feeling the way Ed's going] but still VERY reasonable. Think a reliable 700+ crank HP out of a motor for less than a LS7 crate motor.

now, all they need to do is start SHIPPING parts . . . and I'll feel better.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by emf
I'm pretty sure Ryan's tired of the journey. I haven't yet, but then again I show up to track events and work on OTHER PEOPLE'S cars . . . so I'm just disturbed.

Charles -- That'd be it. A couple extra $$$s w/ the direction that I'm going [and, I've got a funny feeling the way Ed's going] but still VERY reasonable. Think a reliable 700+ crank HP out of a motor for less than a LS7 crate motor.

now, all they need to do is start SHIPPING parts . . . and I'll feel better.
How is the World Products/Bill Mitchell rep? I hate to be the first to try a brand new product. I will let you and Ed be the testers.

I see that price is for Eagle (Chinese?) rotating assembly. Are you thinking something US (Lunati etc.) for the crank and rods?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:59 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Heh . . . I'm pretty sure it's going to be a race between Ed and I, at this point.

Rep was . . . . ok. They're set up for dealer distribution, which is OK -- my primary concern is to ID their shipping schedule. From there, heck . . I could order from Jegs.
I noticed the crank -- that's where I was alluding that some of the extra cost was to come from . . . I'm still putting the shopping list together, but my biggest headache at this point is finding good replacement LS7 rockers. offset intake is what's killing me, since I'm looking for shaft-mount. Need to call Katech and Jesel, but haven't had time.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:05 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Gone to the dark side!

Yes, it's true...no more street vette! Short story is: Vette plays with Vipers at Spring...Vette and driver having much fun and in that special zone at track...Vette develops similar ailment like first brother motor 382...bad reading from DIC, clank, clank, clank, bog, bog, bog, cough, cough! Thanx to #### de ja vu for driver yet again. Alas, no more daily driver for me. Learned my lesson finally, thanx to you know who ...perhaps, an expensive one but better late than never.

So, for those of you that know me, I will be absent for awhile...as I plan on saving for a dedicated track car...yes, I will be joining the likes of RyanO and emf eventually. Currently, researching the project and one thing for sure, I will be staying far away form the LS1/6 oil pump and spend the money for a true dry sump...can't quit now...been bitten and infected...might as well enjoy the ride. Are ya listen'n Hans?
I didnt hear your LS1/6 oil pump story. Care to quickly catch me up to speed?

Get notified of new replies

To It was inevitable apparently!

Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
I didnt hear your LS1/6 oil pump story. Care to quickly catch me up to speed?

Ed loves getting into the details, but I'll summarize . . . . LS1 oilpump leaves a little to be desired. Every motor problem he's had has been a result of oil starvation & ability of the pump to keep pressure.

granted, both have largely been the result of a less than . . . . well, COMPETENT shop working on the car . . . . but, I digress. I guess they really can only be blamed for having the crank bolt back out a ton of times, and not key'g the crank when they said they did.

Damn. Who'd of thunk I was so bitter.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Holly Cow ****........

Sorry to hear this. Looks like I got my ride in race group just in time

Looking forward to another ride.. in your race version .... but then again you won't have a passenger seat will ya

DH
Old 03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by emf
Ed loves getting into the details, but I'll summarize . . . . LS1 oilpump leaves a little to be desired. Every motor problem he's had has been a result of oil starvation & ability of the pump to keep pressure.

granted, both have largely been the result of a less than . . . . well, COMPETENT shop working on the car . . . . but, I digress. I guess they really can only be blamed for having the crank bolt back out a ton of times, and not key'g the crank when they said they did.

Damn. Who'd of thunk I was so bitter.
So the LS1 oil pump has a history of problems keeping oil pressure?

Quick Reply: It was inevitable apparently!