Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Default Helmet recommendation?

Hi all,

I'm signed up for at least 10 track days this year, and badly need to get a helmet. Wondering what everbody recommends...I'd like it to be light, get decent airflow, and give me a good size viewport.

Do you suggest full face or open face? Full face would seem to be the way to go, I'd think? If so, I need some sort of tinted screen, or the helmet has to allow space for sunglasses.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

I wear the g-force hybrid with glasses/sunglasses (can't wear contacts) and it works well for me. I'll try to find a link.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I wear a Bell Mag-4 open-face helmet. I can put this helmet on without removing my glasses. I can also change to my sunglasses with it on.

In any event make sure it's a SA2005 rated helmet. Also try the Simpson LX or G-Force GF750; like the Mag-4, both have Nomex interior lining.

If at all possible, try on a few helmets by manufacturer. The sizes between the various brands are not always equal. My Bell helmet is a size 7 3/8 and the Simpson helmet in the same size was way too tight. You can go to the websites to find sizing charts.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I have a Bell Sport 3

I used an open face for a long time, but getting hit in the chops with track turds got a little old There's plenty of room for sun glasses and my helmet comm gear in the Sport 3.

If possible, you really should try one on before buying. Different helmets/brands fit differently.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

I'm using a Bell M2 ...it's a has a wider opening for wearers of sunglasses etc. Definately try a helmet on before buying, I sent my first helmet back because it was too small ...cost me shippin and restocking fees ...
Good Luck
Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 PM
MightyZR-1
Instructor

Default Full Face for Track!

I prefer a Full Face helmet for track events. Helpful in the event of an unexpected ride in the rough off the track.

The Open Face helmet is fine for autocross because less airborn debris is flying around.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 PM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MightyZR-1
I prefer a Full Face helmet for track events. Helpful in the event of an unexpected ride in the rough off the track.

The Open Face helmet is fine for autocross because less airborn debris is flying around.

I favor the Simpson line of helmets. The Super Voyager is a nice helmet that has vents that allow air flow, changeable shields, and doesn’t impede your view. A good helmet isn't cheap, but hopefully you'll never need to find out.

Helmet:
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...showFeatures=1

Shields:
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...t_shields.aspx
Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

I just picked this helmet up after trying on 5 models they had and liked this one the best called The Super Bandit Helmet

Old 03-24-2006, 11:20 AM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet recommendation?

Quick Reply: Helmet recommendation?