Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoop on the shake in my car after the MMP T1 race......

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Scoop on the shake in my car after the MMP T1 race......

Seems as though I started the year off with a bang! My missed shift may have caused the early death of my driveshaft and torque tube. Looked like it was already on the way out for some reason but missing the shift and locking the wheels up sealed it's fate. As of right now it looks like there is no damage to the motor from the overrev and no tranny damage. Lets keep our fingers crossed! What a way to start my T1 career!!

Joe
Old 03-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Bob 33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few weeks ago at Summit during my last run of a two-day DE event, I was setting up a pass of race-prepped BMW just after turn 1, but I missed the down-shift, got a little squirilly, and drifted back. Embarrassing! Was I getting aggressive and my skills starting to deteriorate after two days of good shifts? A few turns latter I caught up but once again missed a shift despite a conscious effort to rev enough and do everything correctly. The more I focussed on proper heel and toe techique the worse it got. Automatic processes fall apart when you think about them too much. After the run I realized that I was having trouble down-shifting into 3rd at any speed. My syncho crapped out. The problem was my dying transmission. With the transmission now repaired, I wonder if I will have the same confidence with the auto h&t under track considtions. Joe, will you be confident that your gears will engage at the critical moment? Curious thing about skills and conscious awareness. And ther5e is also the wild card--is the tranny really fixed. Good luck.

Bob 33
Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Pics of the damage can be seen here......

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96044
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Don't worry Joe, I'm taking good care of Rhonda's car.

Mark
Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3X2
Don't worry Joe, I'm taking good care of Rhonda's car.

Mark
You are Tha Man! She says Thank you!

Joe
Old 03-24-2006, 07:52 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Seems as though I started the year off with a bang! My missed shift may have caused the early death of my driveshaft and torque tube. Looked like it was already on the way out for some reason but missing the shift and locking the wheels up sealed it's fate. As of right now it looks like there is no damage to the motor from the overrev and no tranny damage. Lets keep our fingers crossed! What a way to start my T1 career!!

Joe

At least you have started one!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:35 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen the center disc fail before. I had my old 01 Z06 apart after 50k miles and 25 trackdays. The bearings at each end of mine where done but the rubber bushing and center disc was fine. The center disc is there so that the driveshaft will not "whip" inside of the torque tube. This "wipping" was the cause of the earlier (pre Z06) TTs rubber bushings going bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Scoop on the shake in my car after the MMP T1 race......

Quick Reply: Scoop on the shake in my car after the MMP T1 race......