Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???? for SCCA guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ???? for SCCA guys

from Fast Track 3/20/06 Recommended Rule Changes

"Item 19. Effective 11/1/06: Add new section 11 to section 20 as follows:
11. Head and Neck Restraint
The use of a head and neck restraint device is highly recommended. All head and neck
restraint devices must be certified by the SFI Foundation and bear the SFI 38.1 label."
(February 5-6 minutes, published March FasTrack)

So does the SFI cert. mean that a HANS is the only helmet restraint that will be allowed,but not required, or am I missing something?

Last edited by L98 DRIVER; 03-20-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

That is a 'proposed' rule change, but it has not been approved by the Nat'l Board of Directors.

As proposed, it would exclude from use any 'head & neck support' device that did not have SFI 38.1 certification. Currently, there are 3 different 'head and neck' products that have SFI 38.1 certification.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

my understanding is that it's not required but if you wear one, hans is the only one they'll allow.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Currently, there are 3 different 'head and neck' products that have SFI 38.1 certification.

I only had heard that the Hans was sfi cert. so what are the others?

and If I have a Hans that is older than the sfi. then is it junk?

Last edited by L98 DRIVER; 03-20-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Originally Posted by L98 DRIVER
I only had heard that the Hans was sfi cert. so what are the others??
Hutchins II and R3.

Originally Posted by L98 DRIVER
and If I have a Hans that is older than the sfi. then is it junk?
No. H-D will 'recertify' it.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:46 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

I have sent My "against" vote to the CRB
I think that if we wear a helmet restraint voluntarily, the type, brand,or cert. should not be mandated. Any helmet restraint is better than no device at all. Don't You think?
My RANT is now selected to the off position.

Dave, the crew dog and codriver of the #94 SSC Neon, and
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, SCCA is "Highly recommending" them because they don't want to take hard line requiring these devices to detour any prospective racers from entering their events.

Give me a break, no pun intended, but if you are going to make a "Recommendation" then why in the hell would you post a SFI rating to it seeing that it is only a reccomendation not a rule.

Seriously...
...the only way to go is a HANS device, the others meet the spec and pass the test, but there is no historical data that they will actually work on a human body in an actual accident with humans, as opposed to crash dummys in a test.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

This is what I sent to them tonight...

I'm against this rule change, at least until more units are SFI certified. I have not found enough supporting data to justify a change from what I'm currently using. I feel that an uncertified unit is better than nothing at all.
Respectfully submitted to the CRB
Dave Gird #310582

Item 19. Effective 11/1/06: Add new section 11 to section 20 as follows:
11. Head and Neck Restraint
The use of a head and neck restraint device is highly recommended. All head and neck
restraint devices must be certified by the SFI Foundation and bear the SFI 38.1 label.
(February 5-6 minutes, published March FasTrack)
Old 03-21-2006, 01:03 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Maybe I can shed some light on the certification criteria and the significance in what is going on, at least based on my knowledge.

The SFI 38.1 testing is based on measured neck tension occuring in a simulated 43.5 mph head on crash into a solid barrier using a very specific crash dummy wearing a full faced crash helmet (total head & helmet weight I believe was about 14 lbs). (By the way, that is about the impact that the late Dale Earnhardt had when he suffered his fatal Basalar skull fracture).

Research in past fatal accidents indicate that neck tension exceeding 950 lbs will almost certainly result in mortal injury (death) and would indicate a failing grade for the safety device. A 950 to 750 lb would most likely result in injury, not necessarily fatal and fall into the "Simple Pass level" catagory. Any neck loading below 750 is felt would be a survivable neck loading.

No device (baseline) neck loading were measured at 1190 lbs.
The original Hutchins (& most likely D-cel) had measured 960 lb.
Both the Hutchins II and the R3 were able to attain passing ratings, in the 680 to 700 lb neck loading range.

The HANS Device is the only device that tested with a measured neck loading below 400 lbs (at 370 lbs).

It is felt by several experts that the H II & R3 may not work on an actual person as well as it functions on a test dummy. The reason being that the R3 and the HII both depend on the crash dummies spine and rib cage to be absolutely ridiged (because they are made of metal and are not hinged nor will they articulate or do they yield like a human spine, shoulders, ribs and soft body tissue will). These experts say that the neck loading readings were so close to the "Simple pass level", that they would suspect that any "give" from human tissue or bone structure could cause the neck loading to increase to potentially lethal level.

So in my opinion, with the HANS device having a tested neck load measurement of 370 lbs, offering almost a 100 percent safety margin (below 700), and the others are almost at the limit in a perfect world, then there is only one choice for me.

That is why my company MSI has decided to make a commitmet to educating people (HPDE folks, as well as racers) as to why they should be wearing a HANS device when ever they are on track.

As a side bar, I have also seen some inaccurate numbers posted online that the HANS device had much higher neck loading, but when you see the actual test results from the SFI spec, that I was shown at a meeting also attended by NASCAR officials, it showed the HANS to be superior by almost a factor of two. The only bad PR that I have read on the HANS device, was on one uncertified test that showed one of the shoulder harnesses came off the HANS device and test dummy, so they tried to say that the HANS failed. The net result would have been the same with or without a HANS, if the belt fell off, then a 43mph impact with a wall would probably result in a injury, possibly fatal injury like Dale Earhardt's.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Hi Dave,
At a training seminar that I recently attended, they showed a comparison of 5 different Head and Neck Restraints. You didn't mention which device that you are using but you might be interested in the results that were presented to us.

Any of the current style HANS devices can be issued a SFI sticker retroactively. Just send me an email.

All of the restraints that use fabric straps &/or nets need to be replaced every three years, just like seat belts with a SFI rating. Even the tethers on the HANS device need to be replaced every 3 years. The main body of the HANS device does not need to be replaced unless it shows signs of failure after a large impact or from being exposed to the sun too much.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C5stein
...a commitment to educating people (HPDE folks, as well as racers) as
to why they should be wearing a HANS device when ever they are on
track...
Is my understanding correct that for proper usage, a HANS requires:
  • HANS-specific helmet attachments
  • HANS-specific 4-point(+) harness (w/ chest strap)
  • Suitable seat for a 4-p(+) harness
  • Harness bar
  • Roll bar (due to presence of the 4-p(+) harness
And, of course, the HANS device.

If so, the expense and impact of the mods would certainly thin the
HPDE t-shirt and sneaker crowds. For their own good, not necessarily
a bad thing.

Personally, I wish there was a less demanding alternative solution.

The load testing figures are eye-openers.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
  • HANS-specific helmet attachments
  • HANS-specific 4-point(+) harness (w/ chest strap)
  • Suitable seat for a 4-p(+) harness
  • Harness bar
  • Roll bar (due to presence of the 4-p(+) harness
And, of course, the HANS device..

One out of five ain't bad...but no, the only 'HANS-specific' thing you need is the helmet attachment pieces. You don't need a special harness, beyond a typical 5+pt. race harness, mounted correctly.

None of these safety devices is going to be any help if you're driving in a stock seat, with stock 3pt. belts. All this stuff is a measure of the 'serious factor'. If you're serious about this stuff, or you're racing, you just do it. If you're just a temporary 'tourist' in the HPDE world, then you have to calculate your own risk.

To mount that 5pt. harness correctly, you'll need a suitable seat, etc., but you'll need those things regardless of whether you use a HANS or not. I still haven't seen a 4pt. harness that I'd trust my a$$ to, and if you're serious enough about safety, you should stick to 5 (or more) point harnesses.

Re: harnesses - the certification lifespan for race harnesses that are FIA-certified is 5 years from date of manufacture, and they're readily available and not really any more money than a plain old SFI harness. Exampe: G-Force camlock 5pts....about $130 with FIA tags.

Considering what people spend on their cars, tires, tow vehicles and trailers, this stuff is just chump-change.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
One out of five ain't bad...
I dunno. As I see it, the tourist is looking at at least four of five to
get in the game with a HANS.

My remark about HANS-specific harnesses was prompted by product
information such as this from HMS Motorsports:
"The HANS specific shoulder belts are designed to make HANS use safer and
more comfortable. The belts start as 3" webbing at the cam lock, then after
the length adjuster they are 2" webbing which fits completely on the HANS
yoke. This gives you the optimal force distribution, entirely on the surface
of the HANS. A standard 3" belt will work, however some of the load is not
distributed on the HANS. This also can be a comfort issue with some of the
webbing falling off the HANS.
Valid or marketing bumph? Those of you who are more knowledgeable
will be better able to say.

I bring up the total cost of ownership because until I was
schooled here last autumn, I was unaware of the full picture
regarding infrastructure necessary to add a head and neck
restraint into the safety mix. For someone reading this and
starting with a daily driver that they want to try at the track,
I reckon they'd be looking at upwards of $3K.

Despite participating in organized events of one sort or another
for a while now, I still fall under the 'Tourist' designation above.
I don't think I'm alone in finding myself in the dilemma of owning
a moderately capable performance vehicle that I want to have some
fun in without extensively compromising its streetable nature or
committing to the supporting hardware (trailer, tow vehicle, ...)
required for a dedicated track car.

As daily over-the-road experience shows, the OEM equipment
offers protection to a certain level. But the neck trauma can occur
at much lower impact level in what would otherwise be a survivable
event if the conditions are just right/wrong.

Hence the fore-mentioned wish for head/neck protection suitable for
my 'Tourist' segment.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:09 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Thanks for the input Guys
I know I can always find out the true 411 from the panel of
experts here on the forum
D.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

The safety items you've mentioned are, in a way, mutually exclusive. If you're doing lapping days, and regularly exceeding 100mph, you really should be thinking "seat, harness, rollbar". They are, IMO, much more important than a "head & neck" protection system. It is true that, once you're more firmly anchored to the car, any "hit" will be amplified on those untethered parts of your body...most importantly, your head. But safety systems are 'hierarchical'...they're building blocks, stack one upon the other. You have to consider your risk tolerance, and pick a level at which you're comfortable.

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
My remark about HANS-specific harnesses was prompted by product information such as this from HMS Motorsports:

"A standard 3" belt will work, however some of the load is not
distributed on the HANS. This also can be a comfort issue with some of the webbing falling off the HANS"

Valid or marketing bumph? Those of you who are more knowledgeable
will be better able to say.
The HANS device doesn't require anything more than a standard 3" harness. You can opt for a more high-tech harness with 2" shoulder straps, but (in my opinion) they exist as an answer to a problem that may not exist. Joe at HMS is a nice guy, but sometimes the marketing-gene inside him takes over and he just can't help himself.

I've crashed-tested my HANS four times. Quite hard hits, too. Two of those hits tore entire suspension corners off the car (open cockpit sports racer guy...they tear up easy, but they fix easy, too). Never had belts slip off the HANS, even on oblique hits.

Don't be offended by my "tourist" label. It's one thing to go to 1-2 HPDE's a year...a little different to go racing 10-20 weekends a year. As this thread started off by asking an "SCCA" question, I figured it was 'race-related'.

While racing and HPDE have different danger levels, IMO (again...aren't I a pretentious yob ?) HPDE organizers don't spend enough time discussing the dangers of the track with their participants. I refer to this as the "Disney-fication of racetracks". Classroom instruction is usually how to "go fast", but very little is about what to do when things go very bad. I spent a bunch of years as the Chief Instructor-weenie for several different HPDE & race licensing schools, and I always included a session I politely entitled "Crisis Management". If your HPDE group doesn't do this, find a different HPDE group.

It's dangerous out there. It's not freakin Disneyland.

Better stop now...starting to sound like my parents.

Last edited by Don Keefhardt; 03-21-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

I'll start at the top and work down at the risk of being redundant, but IMHO this stuff is important.
You asked:

HANS-specific helmet attachments
HANS-specific 4-point(+) harness (w/ chest strap)
Suitable seat for a 4-p(+) harness
Harness bar
Roll bar (due to presence of the 4-p(+) harness
And, of course, the HANS device.

1) As far as the helmet, any SA 2000 or newer helmet will do, full face or open face.
2) 4 point harness won't cut it unless you like your lower ribs broken, internals scrambled & the wind knocked out of you in the event of a heavy impact. You need the sub strap(s) to stabilize the lap belt as the shoulder harnesses are being loaded durring the impact.
3) yes a harness bar is required to mount the shoulder belts at or close to the correct height. Which is 1 - 2" below your seated shoulder height.
4) Yes a suitable seat that allows the shoulder belts to be mounted no further than 3 inches apart is required for the HANS to work best (but a stock C5 sport seat will work with a 6 point harness in this case).

And yes you are looking at about $3k for all this stuff, but I figure my life and well being is worth that.

I stand corrected that FIA belts are good for 5 years, not the three years that the SFI rated belt's life.

high-tech harness with 2" shoulder straps, but (in my opinion) they exist as an answer to a problem that may not exist
I will paraphrase both Jim Downing and Dr. Bob Hubbard regarding belts... ..."The HANS device was designed specifically for the use of 3" wide belts PERIOD." "All of the developement of the HANS as well as all of the certification testing was done with 3" belts, as that is the most common width belt in use in racing". They went on to say something to the effect of ... "if some one wants to say that their belt is "HANS Friendly" and we don't think that their product reduces the effectivness of our device, we don't say anything, but let it be known to everyone that this device does not take special width belts and that it is intended to be used with 3" wide belts".

Because we believe in this product and that $3k is a reasonable expenditure in your health and well being, I am putting together a Demo (rental) package this year for the C5 & C6s that will include, a harness bar, racing seat and mount, 6 point belts, HANS device and helmet. for HPDE guys to try out. I'm trying to figure out exactly how to accomplish this and make it a value to you guys in my area.

My guess is that once you try out these items, and realize who much better your track experience is, you will most likely purchase your own over time and I will apply a portion of your Demo fees toward the purchase of your own equipment.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

C5stein
I'd like to applaud the rental package initiative. I hope a way
can be found to have it become a reality.

Thank you for the remarks about shoulder strap compatibility for
a HANS device.

About the 4-point harness. Recently Cisitalia remarked that the
Schroth Rallye Cross harness is the only one believed to be in
accordance with FMVSS 209. For the person with a dual-purpose
vehicle, non-approved belts may present an issue.

Don Keefhardt
I'm not offended, Tourist is an apt description - beats 'Wannabe'.

Appreciate the insights

L98 DRIVER
My initial contribution was intended outline the bigger picture and
express a wish for development of a device suitable for those of
us who want to play safely but are not willing or able to invest
in professional grade gear, the supporting infrastructure or the vehicle
changes this entails.

Get notified of new replies

To ???? for SCCA guys

Quick Reply: ???? for SCCA guys