Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my balls at Road Atlanta last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lost my ***** at Road Atlanta last weekend

In every track guys life there comes a time for equipment dysfunction - while it can be age dependent it can, and does, happen at anytime. In the scheme of things mine was pretty minor last weekend - I lost the ball bearings out of the rails for my Corbeau seat - it literally made for a rocking time at the track. Compared to Toby breaking the crank in his Mercedes, Tim breaking a windshield and having the left front hub fail in his ZO6 and Tony kissing the concrete in Turn 12 in his 1998 Trans Am - life was pretty good. Toby helped me pull the seat and look for my loose ***** in the interior - the amount of assistance people give and receive at the track always impresses me - it takes a true friend to dive in and help you find your *****. I whittled a stick to jam in the seat rail but it did not survive the g's (or possibly it was the load) at turn 5 - so I wobbled but did not fall down.

All told the NASA event at Road Atlanta was a great time. The prep of getting the alternate tow vehicle wired, the '99 Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC) prepped and the vehicles loaded was getting routine since it is the third weekend in a row. Getting there on Friday was brutal for Jake and I though - due to school we did not leave till 1600. There was an accident on I-20 that held us up for most of an hour, the mapquest directions through Athens for Road Atlanta are - uh, inaccurate - and when we got to the paddock at Road Atlanta I thought the carnival was in town. The paddock was packed with all shapes and sizes at 1930 on a Friday evening. We eventually found a laydown spot and got registered. About 2200 we managed to get into the Local Cracker Barrel for late supper/early breakfast.

On Saturday I lucked out with Todd in an '02 ZO6 as one of my students (met him at VIR in Dec) and my other student was also a fun guy in an RX8. I was able to get them teched and myself out on the track for the first session in HPDE4/Time Trials group. The first session was an eye opener since I was not that familiar with Road Atlanta, open passing everywhere and I was shaking down a relatively new car for me. I did not block anybody, passed a few cars, got passed by more and learned the track. Luckily, I came up to speed - so to speak - fairly quickly. I went out with my students, rode with Tim for a session, took my students out in my car and had more fun then can possibly be legal. Riding with Tim is something he ought to charge money for - the running commentary is worth it. He showed me some "aggressive line" options and how to pick people off in a safe manner. Todd as a hard charging combat veteran had no issues with the track, traffic or riding with me. I showed him how close you can come to the edge in a Vette in Turn 1 (all part of my instructional plan, honest) and he was pretty nonchalant about it - we rode around talking about HALO jumping, field living, how most folks never had a really bad day "at work" plus worked in a little bit about turn ins, exit points, braking points, shift points and run off options. Robert, my RX8 student, who is a Purple Heart Marine veteran thought my whole purpose in life was to kill him on the track. It seemed he had reservations about riding with me - I guess my talk about me pumping the brakes four times at every brake point was not abnormal plus when he heard a rattle and saw me leaning towards him it was just my loose seat rail did not help much. I messed up once and got a little loose in Turn 5 and Robert was bracing for impact. When I never lifted and accelerated out of it I thought he had forgotten how to breathe. After that I never saw anyone wedge themselves so tight in the passenger side of a Corvette. Tim has some video of the event - I am sure you can hear him laughing at me on the tape. Robert actually did relax a little so I could show him some details he could use in the RX8 to get around the track better. During the day I was able to chase down and pass several ZO6s, a Phoenix prepped ZO6, at least one Turbo 911, Cobras, Mustangs, Camaros, BMWs, Porsches and had a ZR1 Corvette dive into the pits so my 120,000 mile beater would not pass him. I did notice a few go by me at times also. I was able to meet up with several folks from the forums I had not met yet and it always a good time to put a person with the words I have read. Jake worked the Turn 10 flag station all weekend, and according to him, he had a blast. One more work weekend and he has a free event coming. Jake will probably run the track in August with NASA. I know he enjoyed Saturday night.....Playmates, pubs, halter tops what is not to like? . Jody and Tony both got mugs and hugs for their Time Trial efforts.

Sunday was more of the same with me showing the track to several folks and taking Tim for a ride in the FRC (turnabout is fair play, right?). Tim and I had a great session - other than getting loose and a little sideways in Turn 7 we had a good time chasing folks down. He, once again, provided me some great tips and insights from his experience at Road Atlanta. The lunch time touring lap was bogus - they wanted $20 bucks for people to run touring laps. Jake, as a corner worker, decided it was not worth $20 bucks to him for "slow laps".

I was on unknown heat cycle Hoosiers and Kumhos (I even ran them mixed on Sunday), had unknown pads mostly wore down from CMP last weekend, and suspension I have yet to touch. Considering the unknowns and the fact I was at the wheel the car ran extremely well. I had to back off almost every session at some point to keep the oil temp at 285 or less but otherwise the car performed flawlessly. The Suburban makes a pretty good low buck substitute for a RV - beats the tent at CMP last weekend. The F-250 is a better tow vehicle though. The facilities at Road Atlanta are also very nice for the paddock campers.

The track was great, the event was fun, it was mostly safe - the guys (also volunteers - bless them) pushing the cars out on the track from the pit could use a bit more training, the weather was great and the people were fun to hang with. I will be doing Roebling, Rockingham and Road Atlanta (again) this year with NASA so that should speak for itself. Looking forward to Roebling in April with Seat-Time.

Be safe out there.

Last edited by varkwso; 03-20-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Awesome write-up as usual!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Thanks - it is amazing how many folks you get to hang with event after event after event.....
Old 03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Thanks - it is amazing how many folks you get to hang with event after event after event.....
Myself and two friends of mine started out doing this stuff by ourselves. However over the years, our group has grown to nearly a dozen people. We travel to events together and have a blast. Some of the after-track dinners and bench racing sessions are so funny they'll bring tears to your eyes.

We nicknamed ourselves "Gypsy Racing" and have shirts and hats. Silly for sure, but we have fun
Old 03-20-2006, 09:29 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a great time at RA this weekend. I got to hang out with some guys I met at VIR in Dec. and met a few more really great guys.
I'm still amazed at how willing people are to give you a hand at the track. I'm new to this and nobody has ever made me feel like I asked a stupid question or has turned me away when I asked for some help.
Jeff, thanks for the great instruction and a couple really fun rides. You communicate your points really well and I think I'll really benefit from this weekends event. Hope I never made you nervous. You know, the whole new guy in a Z06 thing I always read about on here.
Jody, thanks for your help and your sense of humor. If not for you getting me a battery pack I may still be sitting on the grid. Also, congrats on winning your TT class. Or did you get that mug for having the shiniest Vette there??
Mark, thanks for the awsome ride. I've been wanting to get in a ZR-1 for a long time. Thanks for the excitement in turn7 as well !
Tim, it was really good meeting you. Thanks for taking your time helping with my battery issue. I'm sure I'll see you at future events.
Thanks again to all, you guys are truly first class. Look forward to seeing you again. The weekend was amazing, still smiling from ear to ear
Old 03-21-2006, 05:12 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thnkfast
I... I'm still amazed at how willing people are to give you a hand at the track. I'm new to this and nobody has ever made me feel like I asked a stupid question or has turned me away when I asked for some help.
Jeff, thanks for the great instruction and a couple really fun rides. You communicate your points really well and I think I'll really benefit from this weekends event. Hope I never made you nervous.... ..... The weekend was amazing, still smiling from ear to ear

That is the beauty of these events. My reflexes are too slow to get nervous. Nobody shooting at me = good time. I will ride with you anytime!

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
....Silly for sure, but we have fun
That is the most important part!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

great write-up, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thnkfast
I had a great time at RA this weekend. I got to hang out with some guys I met at VIR in Dec. and met a few more really great guys.
I'm still amazed at how willing people are to give you a hand at the track. I'm new to this and nobody has ever made me feel like I asked a stupid question or has turned me away when I asked for some help.
Jeff, thanks for the great instruction and a couple really fun rides. You communicate your points really well and I think I'll really benefit from this weekends event. Hope I never made you nervous. You know, the whole new guy in a Z06 thing I always read about on here.
Jody, thanks for your help and your sense of humor. If not for you getting me a battery pack I may still be sitting on the grid. Also, congrats on winning your TT class. Or did you get that mug for having the shiniest Vette there??
Mark, thanks for the awsome ride. I've been wanting to get in a ZR-1 for a long time. Thanks for the excitement in turn7 as well !
Tim, it was really good meeting you. Thanks for taking your time helping with my battery issue. I'm sure I'll see you at future events.
Thanks again to all, you guys are truly first class. Look forward to seeing you again. The weekend was amazing, still smiling from ear to ear

Todd, you're very right. Some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever met are the ones I've met at the track. Norbert Watts is a prime example of that. I've seen him lay up under a complete stranger's car repairing it and never blink an eye. I asked Norbert one time why he did that and he said he was just giving back to the hobby he likes so well and at one time or another we all need help. I guess that attitude is infectious.

BTW, did you make it back home okay with that electrical problem? Do you know yet what caused it?

Jeff, good review of the weekend. It looks like Jake is on his way to some free track time. If I were a kid, I'd do the same thing he is doing. He gets to meet a lot of people, learn how everything works and get seat time, all at the same time. That's a hard deal to beat.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Myself and two friends of mine started out doing this stuff by ourselves. However over the years, our group has grown to nearly a dozen people. We travel to events together and have a blast. Some of the after-track dinners and bench racing sessions are so funny they'll bring tears to your eyes.

We nicknamed ourselves "Gypsy Racing" and have shirts and hats. Silly for sure, but we have fun

Yah same way where. Big Pine Key Motorsports with Falcon the hororable mayor.

We have had some of those dinners that were soo funny and guy busting that your whole body ached. Especially when we get together with DBR. Dead Bird Racing is a bunch of viper guys.
Something about Viper guys, Mexican resturants and batchleatte party and one of the DBR guys was a male stripper.

And who says we go just for the track time??? the social times are just as fun.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
thnkfast
Advanced

Jody,
I made it home fine. I ran to Advanced Auto before my last run and bought a new battery. I think the battery was just toast not sure if anything specific caused it. I'll take to the dealer and get some use of my extended warrenty.
Norbert Watts instructed me at VIR. He is an awsome guy and was busy all day with helping people and riding with who ever wanted some of his expertise. I asked him if he needed a break and he told me he was doing what he loved and he just really liked to go fast. He didn't care if he was riding or driving. I've really lucked out with great instructors.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Rolex24
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Thread

I just got my first Vette, an '02 Z06 with the plan being to get into HDPE and maybe AutoX too (public roads are just too dangerous for me and up till now that's what kept me from getting a sports car, no safe outlet for fun driving). I've joined NASA, SCCA and Chin Motorsports. I live in Southwest FL so I have Sebring, Moroso and Homestead all within about 2 hours.

I've been trying to plan my first event but as with any hobby newbie a little aprehensive to get off the pot and sign up. This thread has really set my mind at ease. What a great format in which to learn how to "drive" one of these awesome machines. Sounds like the support and encouragement you get from your fellow drivers is second to none. I already feel like I have an event(at least protocall, general info and etiquette) under my belt. All this info you guys share really helps the newbies out.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:33 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

Rolex24,

Sign up! You wont regret it, I promise. You will be welcomed with open arms and always treated with respect. I've only done four events and will admit it was pretty intimidating the first time I pulled into the paddock. The first guy I made eye contact with put his hand out, introduced himself, and offered his help in any way I might need it. Things haven't changed. You will meet some of the most hospitable people you'll ever be involved with. As I said in a prior post, I have never really felt out of place around these guys other than I'm younger and better looking than most of them .
And did I mention the feeling of being on the track with your Z Try it out, you won't be dissapointed!

Todd
Old 03-21-2006, 01:37 PM
steve-d
Instructor

I was there for the w'end race.

70+ cars registered; 60+ cars ran in the race. Road Atlanta is a great track. Racing with that many disparate hp cars on track sucked. Too many for any fun.

Last time for a NASA event.

Steve
Old 03-21-2006, 02:51 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Default Me too!!! Literally!!!

Ha! I thought you started this thread with what it sounds like... Since this was my 3rd ever event, and 1st time at Road Atlanta. I can assure you I did just what the thread suggests...

So incase some of you old hands have forgotten what it feels like to be a Novice... I ran in GR II. There were about 40 students. My first few runs through T12. OMG!!! Short shift into 4th just under the brdge and then see nothing but sky! I'm looking ahead big time and squeeling like a school girl hoping to make the turn at the bottom of the hill. After my 1st session I wasn't sure if I needed some Valium or Depends or both

So let's see, braking hard at the end of the main straight into T1 was a little scary, then turn in and fly up the hill. Very cool. Got the turn in for T2 pretty good and hop over the gator to set up for the downhill/uphill Esses. This was my favorite part of the track. I was pretty much at the floor in 3rd and giggling like an idiot. T5 definetely requires respect. A couple of students found that out literally, but no one got hurt. By Sunday I was hitting it as hard as I dared. T6 was fun and you drift right out to setup for T7. T7 gave me the most trouble. I was braking too late and not turning in soon enough. Finally got that to happen on Sunday. Never got much over 130s on the straight coming up to 10A/10B. I just ran out of nerve. We did practice late braking coming into 10A whenever there was no one around us. 10A/10B worked like an autox slalom to me so I took it that way. I never got to the floor in 4th going down the hill for T12. No intestinal fortitude at that spot.

I got to meet some folks and put names to faces. Met David on the road at a gas station and then Jeff and Tim at the track. Got to talk with Jody for a few minutes here and there. We had to park way down the hill in overflow and just didn't get around enough to meet other folks. Between class, track time, and talking with my instructor I don't recall actually having much breather time all weekend. Would have liked to gone out with you guys Saturday night. But Rob and I were mentally exhausted and whipped. We went to eat supper and have a drink. Then back to the hotel and crashed out early.

I had a great time. Got signed off for Solo as long as it is a track I've done before. The DRM brake ducts worked well and didn't get a soft pedal until just before the last session Sunday. The DRM oil cooler is a wonderful thing. Oil temps never hit 240deg even when I was ragging 3rd pretty hard (for a newb that is).

Big thanks to David Thackery who jumped in as my instructor when my originally assigned instructor couldn't make it. That was nerve racking sitting on grid with no instructor. Then the official and some other instructors came over and said sit in your car and take a deep breath and get buckled in. You will have an instructor. A guy that drives a ZR1 offered but his student finally showed up. Then another guy offered. Then I hear this voice from the past saying, "I won't get in the car with these Corvette guys much, but I'll get in with this one any day!". My first event instructor David Thackery. We had a great time and very productive weekend.

Sorry for the long reply...

Graham
Old 03-21-2006, 03:20 PM
c6rpowered
Intermediate

Default the down hill

i see i'm not the only one that short shifted and held their breath down that hill,,when i ran a motorcycle there in the 70"s it wasn't as scary or as steep..no wait that was when i was in my 20's and to stupid to be scared...LOL
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by c6rpowered
i see i'm not the only one that short shifted and held their breath down that hill,,when i ran a motorcycle there in the 70"s it wasn't as scary or as steep..no wait that was when i was in my 20's and to stupid to be scared...LOL
BINGO we have a winner.

T5's out side wall I got TOO freindly last year.

Road Atlanta is a must do again and again and again track.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
......Jeff, good review of the weekend. It looks like Jake is on his way to some free track time. If I were a kid, I'd do the same thing he is doing. He gets to meet a lot of people, learn how everything works and get seat time, all at the same time. That's a hard deal to beat.

YOu are a kid - you just happen to be trapped in an old geezers body.....

Originally Posted by Thnkfast
......As I said in a prior post, I have never really felt out of place around these guys other than I'm younger and better looking than most of them .
And did I mention the feeling of being on the track with your Z Try it out, you won't be dissapointed!
Its on now....you may be younger than me and maybe better looking...but next time I will put Jake on you at the track. He is the fast one in the family....maybe in my ZO6 so he can scare me out of a few more years...

Graham and others - It was tough with us all spread all over the place.

Rolex 24 come to Roebling 14-15 Apr, Sebring 22-23 Apr or Roebling 19-21 May and 27-28 May - I will be there....

Get notified of new replies

To Lost my balls at Road Atlanta last weekend

Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

Jeff,
I said I was younger and better looking I never said I was fast. My car is way faster than I'll be for a while!
I was looking at track schedule today and I think I'm going to try to make RR 19-21 May. I have to look at my work schedule though. Hope to see you there.

Todd
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Rolex24
Advanced

varkwso

What's going on at Sebring April 22-23? I couldn't find any events listed. I'd be in novice class obviousely and the next few Chin events are booked up for novices.

Those dates may work good for me. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think jeff said he is going with SVTOA.

Tim

Quick Reply: Lost my balls at Road Atlanta last weekend