Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first T1 races are in the books!

Old 03-19-2006, 11:20 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My first T1 races are in the books!

Last weekend I completed my first T1 races at Memphis Motorsports Park ( MMP ). I chose to make the 14 hour haul to MMP from the DC area in an effort to knock out some Regional races and make the Summit Point National on April 8-9. It was a good choice to go, MMP is a very fun place!

My wife ( Rhonda ) and I set out on Thursday morning in order to arrive Friday and get the open test session in. With my shoestring budget I won't be doing many test days this year but I felt this one was very important as I had yet to even track test my newly prepped car. Joe A. and the crew at Phoenix built me one heck of a car and I wanted to make sure I was going to do as well as she would do. The test day was not only for the car, but for me to get used to having everything on. The HANS, helmet cooler, radio setup, everything had to be tested.

Friday morning we roll into MMP after dodging T-storms and tornados the night before. We met up and pitted beside fellow T1 racer David Pintaric. Dave and I finally meet after almost a year of getting to know one another over e-mail and phone. He's already been on track, I roll the car off, suit up, and we roll onto the track for some test laps. The car and everything work well and after a few laps I am able to whittle off some 1min 14ish laps on old Kumho Victoracers. Not bad from what I am told as these tires are not the standard. I am on them because they are cheap, I had them laying around and I want to burn them up during my non National races. Testing goes well, I get used to everything.

Saturday morning qual goes a little bad, on lap 6 my car develops a huge vibration. Turns out the sidewall belts have ruptured on the left rear Kumho. It's done! Looks like I'll be using my good tires the rest of the weekend. I qualify 7th on grid in spite of the tire issue. As I once over the car before my race and go to stick my tires on something happens that floors me. Dave and his crew chief Matt approach me and say they do not want me burning up good tires on non point races. He offers the use of a set of rims and scrubs that he does not need this weekend. Dave will not take no for an answer. He knows my budget and really stepped in to help me, and he did it on his own accord. I cannot put into words what it felt like to have that kind of support from a fellow racer, someone I had shook hands with for the first time only a day earlier. This guy is class, and it was great to have him helping Rhonda and I on our first ever T1 weekend. I race on Daves rims and tires, finishing 2nd overall, 1rst in class just by finishing. Along the way I cut a 1min 13.7sec lap, fairly close to the old T1 record of 1min 13.2sec, a record which Dave shattered on Sunday. 5 tenths is a lot but I feel good about it considering it was my first weekend in the car and my first time ever at MMP. I know that I am losing speed thru "Grants Tomb" but I am not trying to be a hero in my first race weekend so I don't push any harder. Dave tells Rhonda to relay to me on the radio that I am going too fast on his tires!!

Sunday morning I jump on track for the IT tour race qual session. after 9 laps I qualify 1rst in class, 1rst overall. I'm on the pole and I am nervous. That bites me. On the green flag start I miss a shift bad and later find out I may have bent something in the drivetrain. I drop to 3rd place but by lap 2 I have 1rst again. I check out to an 8 second overall lead and end up having contact with a lap car later on in the race, nothing bad just something that happens. I learn a valuable lesson that I will remember for the rest of my racing, never trust lap cars to see you. No harm, no foul, no flags, keep going. The contact took my concentration away and made me very timid the rest of the race. I drop back to 3rd overall and take the checkered 1rst in class, 3rd overall. Car has a vibration in it from the missed shift, but I am happy overall! Rhonda has to turn her radio down because I am yelling happily, and loudly!

In closing, the weekend had ups and downs but it was the most fun I have ever had in the car. Rhonda was a great crew and radio jockey, she kept my head in the game when I let the nerves get to me. I married a keeper! I can't sum up how it felt to be out there finally doing it. I owe Dave so much for helping me out, not only with the tires but in general just showing me the ropes. I can only hope that someday I can repay him for it. Between him and Brad Neff ( Subdriver ) I have not been lost in this effort, I may have had a much harder time without their help. Thanks to both of you!

The car is currently at the shop and will be diagnosed/fixed shortly, whatever is wrong with it. As long as I can make this shoestring stretch for a while I will be out there. Man, this T1 stuff really is great!

The website has some updates and pics, check them out!

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 03-19-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Congrats on a great start in T1. Personally, I am envious as can be!!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Great story, sounds like a blast! Keep up the good work!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the "Crack" of the automotive world!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congradulations
Old 03-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Nice job, Joe I wish you the best of luck for the entire season.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are definitely the man and your crew is definitely the best also!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Get notified of new replies

To My first T1 races are in the books!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first T1 races are in the books!