Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*!%$@*%&# E-brake retaining spring!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default *!%$@*%&# E-brake retaining spring!

Y'all ever have trouble when changing rear rotors where the stupid, MF, SOB, POS !*#^$@! emergency brake retaining spring pops out? I just about destroyed everything in my garage out of frustration after trying to get that stupid thing back in place for well over an hour. Still couldn't get it and gave up.

I know the official, service manual way is to remove the damned wheel spindle nut and spindle, but I don't have a socket that large and you can seemingly get so close without doing so. I remember my 2000 coupe actually had some holes in the spindle, so that you could strategically place screwdrivers to hold parts of the spring in place while snapping the others in. But my '02 Z06 does not.

Does anyone have a strategy for this one (short of removing the entire spindle)? Please help...

Thanks,
Fred
Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can be done without removing the spindle but it takes patience! It's a real PITA.

Here's a picture showing how it goes in there...I found the picture helpful in getting mine back on after it popped off. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Ag-z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem - do a search and you'll find my past threads. Eventually, using two people, heavy guage wire bent at the ends into small hooks, and a two pair of needle nose pliers, we had success.
It is the biggest PITA I've experienced working on the vette.

Get notified of new replies

To *!%$@*%&# E-brake retaining spring!

Quick Reply: *!%$@*%&# E-brake retaining spring!