Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROCKIN Weekend at Road Atlanta w/NASA

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ROCKIN Weekend at Road Atlanta w/NASA

What a blast this weekend. Let me just say that running in the HPDE4(instructors group) with the time trial guys, and open passing, with no point by anywhere on the track...AT road Atlanta is one hell of an experience.

Now this was not a group to be running for the faint of the heart, **** retentive de guys, but it was safe, and a great learning experience for me.

Our forum hero Falcon, won the time trial, running a 1:40.x the first session on Sat with a cold track. He stayed consistent the whole weekend, running the same time. He is an amazing driver! Very good stuff!

I am going to put some video together, and post it...there is so much action, I don't know where to begin editing it!

The event was well run, and had some fun races as well...most important, I liked the PARTY and free BEER ...I look forward to doing more events with this group!

Tim (video to come)
Old 03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Fellows, like Tim said, we had a blast.

Thanks for the compliment, Tim. I'm too tired to post much, but I did get a clip from this afternnon.

BTW, so there's no misunderstanding, I only won my class, not the whole TT. SilverZ06 whupped me like a rented mule, but he was in a different class.

I'm going to bed, guys, I'm wore out. But it was great seeing a bunch of us at RA.

I post some video tomorrow, but I do have a clip form this afternoon when the 600+HP Supra blew his motor on the start/finish straight. At the end of the clip a Radical swoops past me going into the esses.

Holy Smoke!
Old 03-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun times, I can't wait to see some more videos.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:05 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Originally Posted by Teddy98Z28M6
Sounds like fun times, I can't wait to see some more videos.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Way to GO, Jody !!!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You da man! Congrats on the win. Mid-Ohio in Sept.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Looks like fun! Jody - you ready for some pasta on Thursday???
Old 03-20-2006, 11:41 AM
c6rpowered
Intermediate

Default i was there too!!!

my first time doing a track event like the time trial..what a rush!! every one was great. found i have alot to learn...that supra was crazy fast....
Old 03-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tcmc5
You da man! Congrats on the win. Mid-Ohio in Sept.
Thanks, Cass.

Bud, you need to get into this TT stuff. It's unbelievable fun. Passing anywhere. I passed a Lotus Elige in the Esses. Not recommended, but he saw me coming and gave me room.

I'll call you later this afternoon.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
c6rpowered
Intermediate

Default hey falcon

i thought us older guys showed pretty well for ourselves,, i want to look into that seat you have,i need a seat with some more support and the belt holes so i can use the hans device..
Old 03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by freefall
Looks like fun! Jody - you ready for some pasta on Thursday???
Yea, I've even got new nose art I'mm unveiling there.

Your license plate bracket is going to pizz off some F-car guys !
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 PM
JaxVette
Instructor

Default Instructors/TT at Road Atlanta

Hey Jody,

Congrats on the class win. It was definitely a blast driving in the Instructor's group with the TT guys. Nothing like running hard, passing anywhere you want, anytime you can. The old '84 made a pretty good showing of itself this weekend. Good to see you.

Later - Jack -
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c6rpowered
i thought us older guys showed pretty well for ourselves,, i want to look into that seat you have,i need a seat with some more support and the belt holes so i can use the hans device..
Howdy!

Wow! You need to get a parachute for that car of yours. That thing is a rocket.

Try Corbeau for the specs on the Forza seat. Corbeau isn't the best seat, but it'll do. There are others out there.

It was good running with you, although all I ever saw were tail lights.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JaxVette
Hey Jody,

Congrats on the class win. It was definitely a blast driving in the Instructor's group with the TT guys. Nothing like running hard, passing anywhere you want, anytime you can. The old '84 made a pretty good showing of itself this weekend. Good to see you.

Later - Jack -
Hey there, Jack!

It was fun in that group, wasn't it!

Did you try the trick of taking over the inside mirror for you to see what's back there when you with your student? I've done that in the past for no other reason than to make the student concentrate on what's in front of him.

Good seeing you again.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were a lot of really fast cars out there and the open passing was a real plus.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
Fellows, like Tim said, we had a blast.

Thanks for the compliment, Tim. I'm too tired to post much, but I did get a clip from this afternnon.

BTW, so there's no misunderstanding, I only won my class, not the whole TT. SilverZ06 whupped me like a rented mule, but he was in a different class.

I'm going to bed, guys, I'm wore out. But it was great seeing a bunch of us at RA.

I post some video tomorrow, but I do have a clip form this afternoon when the 600+HP Supra blew his motor on the start/finish straight. At the end of the clip a Radical swoops past me going into the esses.

Holy Smoke!

Jody, way to go!!!!

Talk about being worn out. I ended up driving straight through to Philly. Got home about 3:00am.

RA is a blast!!! No other way to describe it. Some nut pointed me by on turn 12, so I passed him on the inside at full bore. No paint traded. His car was blue, mine yellow, so it was easy to tell.

That @#$%^&* turn 5 got me. Just did a lazy 180 degree spin, ending up still on the blacktop, to the inside of the turn. Didn't even stall the engine. First time ever I spin a car on track in over 5 years of trying. Only hurt my pride, but it is unnerving as hell to see all those cars coming straight at you at speed.

Saw the Supra "event". Lots of horsepower while it lasted. Sorry for the owner, but I guess after he rebuilds the engine (or gets a new one) he will use a tad less boost.

Thanks to all for a very nice weekend. Especially to Mike for his professional services (he knows what I mean), Jack for the loan of his tools to change my rotors and Jody for his superb sense of humor. I will probably see you all at VIR for the Fall Fling. May even bring the new Z if I ever get the darned thing.

Best,
Frank G.

Last edited by gonzalezfj; 03-20-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
JaxVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Falcon
Did you try the trick of taking over the inside mirror for you to see what's back there when you with your student? I've done that in the past for no other reason than to make the student concentrate on what's in front of him.
Jody,

Yep, my next time in that car, I turned the mirror my way and let EVERYBODY by. Worked great. Thanks for the tip. I did have to tell him to keep his eyes on the road, as he was attempting to turn his head 180 degrees to look behind him. I told him, "You operate the steering wheel, I'll operate the mirror!" We got it worked out, no problem.

It was a heck of a time running out there this weekend. Looking forward to more of it.

Hey Frank,

Glad you made it home ok. It was great meeting you and running with you, especially side by side down through turn 12. Another nut that ran side by side with you there!
-Jack-

Get notified of new replies

To ROCKIN Weekend at Road Atlanta w/NASA

Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
That @#$%^&* turn 5 got me. Just did a lazy 180 degree spin, ending up still on the blacktop, to the inside of the turn. Didn't even stall the engine. First time ever I spin a car on track in over 5 years of trying. Only hurt my pride, but it is unnerving as hell to see all those cars coming straight at you at speed.
That can be a dangerous turn at Road Atlanta. I have seen guys loose it there and badly damage their cars. You were lucky. I am glad nothing bad happened to you.

When Jody was my student at RA (can you believe it ), I warned him that turn will bite back badly if not respected. You can't get on the power until the steering input is neutral our moving in the neutral direction. Sure enough Jody gets on the gas, the rear steps out and the Mayor is sawing and dancing the wheel. He catches it in time and saves it. I could not believe even the baby kissing Mayor of BPK is a loss for words. But only for a brief moment. He respected that turn for the rest of the weekend. I don't know how he feels about it now.

Brad
Old 03-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
When Jody was my student at RA (can you believe it ), I warned him that turn will bite back badly if not respected. You can't get on the power until the steering input is neutral our moving in the neutral direction. Sure enough Jody gets on the gas, the rear steps out and the Mayor is sawing and dancing the wheel. He catches it in time and saves it. I could not believe even the baby kissing Mayor of BPK is a loss for words. But only for a brief moment. He respected that turn for the rest of the weekend. I don't know how he feels about it now.

Brad
Yep! The Mayor of BPK had about 2 pounds of cotton that had to be surgically removed from his **** cavity, because of a loud sucking sound, after my first bout with T.5. Brad warned me, but I had to find out for myself. Since then, I've treated that turn with more respect than I did my mamma.

He also told me that RA would probably be my favorite track. He was right about that, too.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
z06xorz
Advanced

Hey guys,

I was there with the supra from GSC motorsports.
They came in conjuction with Autometrics mnotorspors, a Grand American rolex team and shop. They are both out of charleston SC.

The supra actually didnt blow the engine.

A transmission seal went and dumped the tranny fluid all over the red hot exhaust..
It made a big show, but they car will be up and running again in a few days.

The supra however did win OVERALL Time trials.

Its fastest lap of 1:33.5xx was when we left saturday the fastest lap of the WHOLE ENTIRE WEEKEND.

Its a stock block, crank, rods, pistons and stock head car. It has a set of camshafts, a fuel system, a 67 mm turbo, full exhaust and IC.

Its a 100% street car, and right now is greg @ GSC's ONLY CAR. Therefore it is daily driven..... every day.

Those of you guys that were there got to see the 993 porsche and the supra duke it out durign the second session on saturday knwo that no other cars on track were even close.

The TTU class 993 is also a 100% daily driven street car, full weight with stereo. Stock brakes and wheels, no roll cage.

This car driven by Corey Friedman this weekend went a fastest lap of 1:34.2X to take the second fastest overall time in TT.

Last edited by z06xorz; 03-20-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: ROCKIN Weekend at Road Atlanta w/NASA