Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Bedding Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Pad Bedding Question

Had a new set of pads put on 3 days ago but do to rush hour traffic at the time, I wasnt able to bed them. I made sure during the 15 minute drive home, which was bumper to bumper anyway, I was easy on the pads.

Sunday morning is my event. Can I still bed them or is that process now a lost opportunity?

If it isnt lost, can I bed them on the morning of the event driving there? The track is an hour away and I'm right off the Interstate so at 6am, it will be a piece of cake for proper bedding and I'll have over 45 driving minutes of virtually no break usage.

OR, should bed them tomorrow instead, 24 hours before the event.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Mark,

No, the opportunity isn't lost; in fact, some people believe you need to lightly use pads and rotors before bedding/seasoning.

You do need to do it the day before your event. The pads need time to "cure" before you whack on them.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-18-2006, 12:14 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Mark,

No, the opportunity isn't lost; in fact, some people believe you need to lightly use pads and rotors before bedding/seasoning.

You do need to do it the day before your event. The pads need time to "cure" before you whack on them.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Thanks! I'll do it tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You will be fine. Ideally bedding should be done, but if things dont permit.

I am sure there have been more then one guy on here who put on a brand new rotor or brake pads AT the track then took them out and bit the chit out of them with no problems.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I typically do. Because I run a street set (rotor & pad) and a track set (rotor & pad) I switch to the track set before driving to the track on friday (2-5 hr drive depending on where, with some traffic so any previous bedding is potentially undone).

When I get there I unload all my stuff, find a good road (some deserted access roadsa round here) and do a bed. Then the car chills overnight. I've never been disappointed.

Now I always do this with pre heat-cycled rotors - I've never tried brand new pads & rotors right before an event.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 PM
ChasNMe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me add my own question if i may . . .

what is the proper way to bed the pads? i put on a new set of stock rotors and new Z06 pads onto my 99frc after a weekend event last year. after i put them on, i went down the road and did 2-3 mild stops (slowdowns) from about 35 to 5mph, then a couple from 45 to 5mph, then a few harder stops from 65 to 5. they squeak and it is irritating to say the least. unless i am hard on them, they squeak. never did that with stock pads on my vert or frc. did i muff up the bedding?
thanks, jake
Old 03-20-2006, 11:45 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChasNMe
let me add my own question if i may . . .

what is the proper way to bed the pads? i put on a new set of stock rotors and new Z06 pads onto my 99frc after a weekend event last year. after i put them on, i went down the road and did 2-3 mild stops (slowdowns) from about 35 to 5mph, then a couple from 45 to 5mph, then a few harder stops from 65 to 5. they squeak and it is irritating to say the least. unless i am hard on them, they squeak. never did that with stock pads on my vert or frc. did i muff up the bedding?
thanks, jake
I think it dpends on the pad. For the PFC pads that I use, I take her on the interstate, get up to 70, do a threshold stop to about 10 mph, get back up to 70 nad repeat 5 more times. Then I keep driving on the highway without touching the breaks at all. Get off, get back on the highway and head home. When I get off i use the brakes sparingly. Park her for the recommended atleast a 24 hour curing period that many recommend.

Here is a general link on brake bedding

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 03-20-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:20 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Obligatory product references aside, solid info that's fairly generic.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinfaq.shtml
Old 03-21-2006, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

The StopTech web site is excellent info.

This is how I bed in my pads or rotors.

nice quite straight no traffic road.

do three to five 40 - to 5 mph stops, easy
do three to five 40-5 mph stops hard, ABS threshold.
three to five 80-5 mph stops hard
three to five 100-120 to 5 mph stops hard

drive around for 30-40 min to cool the rotors and pads then put car away for another 24 hours too finish the cooling

I think the 80 and 100 mph stops are the most important for bedding and to get use too stopping from those speeds in a controled ( relativly) enviornment and it gets the pads and rotors above that 1200* range.

I use Wilwood H pads and in the past PFC-01 pads

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-21-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:41 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is the link on the Wilwood site, it gives you mph ranges to shoot for. I think this works fairly well, that is how I did my last 2 brake-in's.

http://brakepads.wilwood.com/03-tech/index.html
Old 03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The StopTech web site is excellent info.

This is how I bed in my pads or rotors.

nice quite straight no traffic road.

do three to five 40 - to 5 mph stops, easy
do three to five 40-5 mph stops hard, ABS threshold.
three to five 80-5 mph stops hard
three to five 100-120 to 5 mph stops hard

drive around for 30-40 min to cool the rotors and pads then put car away for another 24 hours too finish the cooling

I think the 80 and 100 mph stops are the most important for bedding and to get use too stopping from those speeds in a controled ( relativly) enviornment and it gets the pads and rotors above that 1200* range.

I use Wilwood H pads and in the past PFC-01 pads
Do you need to change out your rotors quite often with the Willwood pads? I heard they were real tough on the rotors. And do you have the wilwood calipers also or the stock ones?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
Do you need to change out your rotors quite often with the Willwood pads? I heard they were real tough on the rotors. And do you have the wilwood calipers also or the stock ones?
Mark I run the stock PBR caliper with stainless steel pistions.

a Set of H pads last me 4-5 weekends on the fronts and 7-8 weekends on the rears. The Raybestos rotors are 2-3 weekends on the fronts and 7-8 weekends on the rear.

When I used the PFC-01 pads I was changing rotors and pads every 2 weekends on the fronts and every 4 weekends on the rear.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Mark I run the stock PBR caliper with stainless steel pistions.

a Set of H pads last me 4-5 weekends on the fronts and 7-8 weekends on the rears. The Raybestos rotors are 2-3 weekends on the fronts and 7-8 weekends on the rear.

When I used the PFC-01 pads I was changing rotors and pads every 2 weekends on the fronts and every 4 weekends on the rear.
I use the $25 NAPA rotors . Are the Raybestos and the NAPA Rotors one in the same?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
I use the $25 NAPA rotors . Are the Raybestos and the NAPA Rotors one in the same?
Yuppers
Old 03-21-2006, 06:51 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I use my first session to bed the pads. I'm not running hard, but hard enough to bed. then the cool down between sessions is fine. I;ve never had a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Bedding Question

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Bedding Question