Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crotch Strap on 5 Point Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:25 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Default Crotch Strap on 5 Point Harness

Guy's I drag race and am using a 5 point harness. Knowing that more of you race with a harness is why i'm posting here. I have a 5 point harness with a 6 point roll bar. What are you doing with the crotch strap? I have it hooked to the Wolfe Racecraft FRONT of seat mount, but the distance is longer than I like. I then saw some posts here about running it between the upper and lower portions of my factory seat. Thought that was an excellent idea until I did it and realized the family jewels will no longer be where god placed them in event of impact. Thanks for the help.
Bob
Old 03-17-2006, 08:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 16Again
. What are you doing with the crotch strap? I have it hooked to the Wolfe Racecraft FRONT of seat mount, but the distance is longer than I like. I then saw some posts here about running it between the upper and lower portions of my factory seat. Thought that was an excellent idea until I did it and realized the family jewels will no longer be where god placed them in event of impact. Thanks for the help.
Bob

Bob

In front of the seat is dangorious. If you slide down the cam lock could or may crush / crack your sternum.

Yes run the belt between the upper and lower portions of the seat and Sit on the sub belt. However, as you found out. A baseball cup is a good idea to protect the family jewels.

Other option are to modifiy your seat so the sub belt come though the seat bottom or switch to a doulbe sub belts as in 6-points.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Bob

In front of the seat is dangorious. If you slide down the cam lock could or may crush / crack your sternum.

Yes run the belt between the upper and lower portions of the seat and Sit on the sub belt. However, as you found out. A baseball cup is a good idea to protect the family jewels.

Other option are to modifiy your seat so the sub belt come though the seat bottom or switch to a doulbe sub belts as in 6-points.

Good Luck
As funny as that sounds, that may work. Thanks Tom
Old 03-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The purpose of the sub belt is to keep the shoulder harness from pulling your lap belt above the hip. With your sub belt mounted in front of the seat you are actually using the sub belt to pull the lap belt away from your body rather than holding it down. If you use the Brey Krause belt mounts for the lap and sub belt you can then use a two point sub belt which will allow you to sit on the sub belt without cutting off major organs. Basically the lap belt and sub belt make a circle around your legs and the sub belt pulls the lap belt down where it is supposed to be.

Bill
Old 03-17-2006, 08:49 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me add a recommendation for the two-point sub. I know it isn't an answer to the question you asked, but I think this will sove your problem. I use it comfortably.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The purpose of the sub belt is to keep the shoulder harness from pulling your lap belt above the hip. With your sub belt mounted in front of the seat you are actually using the sub belt to pull the lap belt away from your body rather than holding it down. If you use the Brey Krause belt mounts for the lap and sub belt you can then use a two point sub belt which will allow you to sit on the sub belt without cutting off major organs. Basically the lap belt and sub belt make a circle around your legs and the sub belt pulls the lap belt down where it is supposed to be.

Bill
How would that be used? Mount it to the side (Brey Krause lap belt mounts) just like the lap belts and then sit on it? Sorry for so many questions......
Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yellow01
Let me add a recommendation for the two-point sub. I know it isn't an answer to the question you asked, but I think this will sove your problem. I use it comfortably.
These are new harnesses as my last set finally expired. I have no problem replacing the sub belt in order to make it a 6 point harness. Thanks for the suggestions This is exactly why I made the post here.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:57 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Alright guy's I took everyones advice and swapped the harness for a 6 point. I also purchased the Brey Krause lap belt mounts. After doing the install I have found a couple of "issues"
1) I am very thin, so mounting the lap belts to the BK mounts gives me ZERO adjustment as the belts that close are in the sewn ends after snugging them down.
2) There is no real adjustability in the BK mounts for the clip in mount to "swivel" When I sit on the subbelt the left side is fine. I need the right side to pivot down a slight bit. Can I enlarge the hole a touch on the BK mount? Thanks for the help.
Bob
Old 04-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16Again
1) I am very thin, so mounting the lap belts to the BK mounts gives me ZERO adjustment as the belts that close are in the sewn ends after snugging them down.
I had the same problem too (<32" waist). Crow made a shorter inside lap belt for me and it worked pretty good. The downside is that 1 side was not adjustable, so I had to set that side and use the left belt to tighten it down

If you're real skinny, it's better to look elsewhere for lap belt mounts.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I had the same problem too (<32" waist). Crow made a shorter inside lap belt for me and it worked pretty good. The downside is that 1 side was not adjustable, so I had to set that side and use the left belt to tighten it down

If you're real skinny, it's better to look elsewhere for lap belt mounts.
I can mount them to the roll bar without issue. I just thought there was a better way when using the BK lap mounts.

Get notified of new replies

To Crotch Strap on 5 Point Harness

Quick Reply: Crotch Strap on 5 Point Harness