Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Face Shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:38 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Face Shield

My previous helmet was an open face sa95, no face shield.
I just got an SA05 full face helmet, with a face shield. I am considering removing the face sheild. It is at least 5-6 oz. I usually wear a pair of glasses, or wrap sun glasses depending on the day. SO my eyes are protected from wind, etc. I have never had a problem with debris blowing in.

what do ya guys think ??
I can see the shield offering another layer of protection......

just pondering my newest aquisition......
Old 03-15-2006, 06:11 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my shield after my first summer event.....!!
never been a problem for me.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I also ware glasses and have a full face helmet.

my first helmet was a full face with out shield. It was a good helmet and I keep it as my spare.

The problem I had with out shield is putting on sun glasses over my glasses, though the helmet eye port, that got tobe a pain.

and the big one was going into some very tight left hand corners some many times the car in front of my would kick up a track turd. That piece of flying rubber bounced into my drives side window on too many occations and would bounce off my helmet, I had one too many that almost came into my glasses right though the eye port.

The big one was I hit a tire wall in the rain, flat on the left side of my car. The drves mirror folded in and the glass poped out and hit my chin gaurd just below the eye opening and bounced and landed in one piece over the the passange side ofthe dash.

If I had not had an full face helmet it would have broken my jaw or my if my shield had not been down possible my nose.

So I run with my eye shield down or open a 1/8" too allow air to get in. I do use a mirrored shield to keep the sun out.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just flip mine up and wear my glasses. If there was a fire you might want to drop it or it may drop on impact. Mine is no bother to me when up.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My first helmet I ran without the shield, but that's when I mainly did autcrosses. Now that I have been doing DE's the morning and late afternoon sessions have been kind of a pain because I would be looking into the sun. So when the SA05 helmets came out I bought a blue chrome visor for it so I wouldn't have that problem. So now I will have the option. Not to mention the blue chrome on a black helmet looks

Get notified of new replies

To Face Shield

Quick Reply: Face Shield