Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans Devise with the stock Z06 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:13 PM
rollinthunder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hans Devise with the stock Z06 seats?

Has anyone successfully used the Hans Devise with the stock Z06 seats? I'm 6'4" and have broad shoulders. My shoulder harness straps come across my shoulders near my neck on both sides. Do I need to have a racing seat to utilize the Hans Devise? I'm suprised that I haven't seen any threads on this.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Should definitely be used with a racing seat...
Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

race seat - in order for it to work properly, the straps must pass directly over the two sides of the HANS.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

you should consider an R3, as the harness isn't as imperative to it's working properly
Old 03-15-2006, 06:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A Hans device needs a racing seat. As David mentioned look at the H3 system. Falcon uses the H3 with a racing seat too.

No matter which you get they do take an extra min or so too attach properly before you go out an a run or race.

Zip up suite.
put on head sock
put on helmet - insurt comunicator if needed
attach belts
attach shoulder straps over Hans making sure attached properly
sinch down all belts
( and if you have them - attach cool suite hoses )

take deep breath and start car.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The R3 is the only way to go with stock seats.
The HANS needs very specific harness routing.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:13 PM
rollinthunder
Advanced

Guys, Thanks for the replys. I was hoping that my broad shoulders would negate having to change seats. I'm not sure that the R3's would be comfortable. And the foam pad would require me to move forward in the seat. At 6'4" I need all the room I can get. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

actually 99% of cars with harnessbar only are not setup for hans. hans needs to have belts about level with harnessbar and about 3" between inner edges of the belts with minimal interference from seat holes. The problem is not the stock seat. The problem is that even without hans the stock seat encourages belt dumping off the shoulders. Unless you are tall and wide the seat taper will help your belts slide. You might be able to use the stock seat if you set-up your harness 6 point parachute style and use the "H" shoulder harness to prevent the belts from spreading. The best compromise in a dual use car is proper harness bar height and a proper fitting race seat with correct holes. That means not only do you need the shoulder holes but you need them at the right height for you and hans. I doubt R3 would be comfortable in a stock seat. People who use them often use the R3 pads or cut their race seats so they don't have the spine thingy sticking them in the back. But the R3 claim to fame is that you can use it with whatever harness system you already have. The problem I see is that people try to be safe and use an R3 or other HNR and then don't have hanressbars at the right height, don't restrain the shoulder belts from moving on the bar, fail to close the loops on the triple adjusters, use a 5 pt sub over the front of stock seats, improperly set-up 6pt subs, and simply use helmets that do not fit. I think before people spend the money on HNR they should at least make sure what they already have is safe and effective.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
actually 99% of cars with harnessbar only are not setup for hans. hans needs to have belts about level with harnessbar and about 3" between inner edges of the belts with minimal interference from seat holes. The problem is not the stock seat. The problem is that even without hans the stock seat encourages belt dumping off the shoulders. Unless you are tall and wide the seat taper will help your belts slide. You might be able to use the stock seat if you set-up your harness 6 point parachute style and use the "H" shoulder harness to prevent the belts from spreading. The best compromise in a dual use car is proper harness bar height and a proper fitting race seat with correct holes. That means not only do you need the shoulder holes but you need them at the right height for you and hans. I doubt R3 would be comfortable in a stock seat. People who use them often use the R3 pads or cut their race seats so they don't have the spine thingy sticking them in the back. But the R3 claim to fame is that you can use it with whatever harness system you already have. The problem I see is that people try to be safe and use an R3 or other HNR and then don't have hanressbars at the right height, don't restrain the shoulder belts from moving on the bar, fail to close the loops on the triple adjusters, use a 5 pt sub over the front of stock seats, improperly set-up 6pt subs, and simply use helmets that do not fit. I think before people spend the money on HNR they should at least make sure what they already have is safe and effective.

If you don't have the rest of the restraint system working properly which most of us do not the HANs will not provide any benefit. Shoulder harnesses need to be installed as noted in the manufacturers directions, they need to go back to the cross bar in a straight line from your shoulders without the seat pushing them up or down, they can't go around the outside of the seat, the purpose of the sub strap is to keep the lap belt from being pulled up by the shoulder harness so it needs to be apply a counterforce opposite of the shoulder harness. Most installations of harnesses I have seen in pictures on the forum or in various Corvette magazines violate one or more of these requirements and the person driving the vehicle would be better off using the stock restraint system. Nothing like spending several hundred dollars to be safer but then blowing it with an improper installation and ending up less safe than if you used the stock belts.

Bill
Old 03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

If you don't have the rest of the restraint system working properly which most of us do not the HANs will not provide any benefit. Shoulder harnesses need to be installed as noted in the manufacturers directions, they need to go back to the cross bar in a straight line from your shoulders without the seat pushing them up or down, they can't go around the outside of the seat, the purpose of the sub strap is to keep the lap belt from being pulled up by the shoulder harness so it needs to be apply a counterforce opposite of the shoulder harness. Most installations of harnesses I have seen in pictures on the forum or in various Corvette magazines violate one or more of these requirements and the person driving the vehicle would be better off using the stock restraint system. Nothing like spending several hundred dollars to be safer but then blowing it with an improper installation and ending up less safe than if you used the stock belts.

Bill
Is any one successfully using the HANS with the factory sport seats(opening in headrest)?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Originally Posted by rollinthunder
Guys, Thanks for the replys. I was hoping that my broad shoulders would negate having to change seats. I'm not sure that the R3's would be comfortable. And the foam pad would require me to move forward in the seat. At 6'4" I need all the room I can get. Thanks again.
The R3 is what I use. I'm not as tall as you, but the R3 is actually quite comfortable to use and the pad doesn't take up as much room as you might expect. I have a Sparco EvoL seat, so HANS could have been an option for me, but with the R3 I am protected when riding as a passenger in students' cars or other instructors cars that don't have 5/6 point harnesses.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

I am not sure if R3 promotes the idea that you are safer in non-5/6pt harness cars or if this is just what R3 users think. First I do not think there is any data that shows the oem 3pt and R3 has any higher degree of success vs. 3pt oem alone. Quacks like a duck does not always mean its a duck. Second, I do not think BSF has the frequency cause of death that is seen when a driver is completely retained as with 5/6 pt harness. Third the dynamic of why HNR is needed may be because the body is retained with 5/6 pts and now even more with low stretch belts but the head whips free. This dynamic is not present with 3pt oem as the retention level is quite different. Furthermore the universal airbag in cars past 1990 change this dynamic more. I'm not a biomedical engineer but that's sort of my understanding from my layperson reading. I think the safest instructor is the one who does not get in a student's car. You guys are truely brave.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't need HNR without true harnesses. The problem is when you strap your body in, but not your head.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So:

-0- consensus!

Many of us will be running stock C6 Z06 Seats + 6 points and want further protection--e.g. Hans vs. R3.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:41 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I do instruct and hop from car to car plus my own "open track cars" go from a race seat to stock seats a HANS does not currently meet my needs. I am not sure the argument a R3 is not effective is valid unless used with a 5/6 pt is correct - there are injuries less than death that do hurt a long time from sudden stops. I am not sure what I will buy but it will be something with application flexibility that does not increase my risk of injury instead of decreasing it.

Nice to see a wide range of thoughts here by the way....

jeff
Old 06-11-2006, 06:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Stock seats possibley use the R3 not the HANS

race seats use either the R3 or the HANS

On another note seats that a harness does not go though holes in the back may not be the best option either. Using a H strap that keeps the harness secure behind the head rest or the chest strap.

Many PPl have used harness incorrectly and gives them a false sence of security.

Check the SCCA Tech rules on proper mounting of harness systems.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:48 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JonLT4CE
Is any one successfully using the HANS with the factory sport seats(opening in headrest)?
I have not yet, but when my instructor rides with me he uses his and it seems to route correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Hans Devise with the stock Z06 seats?

Old 06-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'd love some pics of correctly installed harnesses. Especially on cars with stock sport seats.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I'd love some pics of correctly installed harnesses....on cars with stock sport seats.
No such thing....IMO.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Maineiac
No such thing....IMO.

Why?

Not trying to be a smart-alec here, I'm serious.

The lap belts are correct.

If you use a 6-pt sub and run it over the seat and up through your legs with the BK mounts it is doing it's job (parachute style).

The only discrepancy I see is the height of the harness bar itself. The one I have is a little higher than I think it should be, unfortunately barring installation of a cage...

these are my opinions based on my analysis of the setup. I'm open to others - I'm really not being a smart a**.

Quick Reply: Hans Devise with the stock Z06 seats?