Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trans in AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto trans in AutoX

So I have a freind and his wife with one of those trans ams with the vette engine in it. They want to come autoXing with me next weekend. I have no experience with autotrans in this application - would they just leave it in drive? or would they put it in second? I don't think they ought to try an manually move the lever - I can see em blowing up the tranny doing that.

Also how bad should I beat em this week - in order to keep em coming back so I can spank em again?

Carl "5 speed C-4" Johansson
Old 03-13-2006, 01:48 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

What year Trans Am and which Vette engine? I had both an '89 and a '90 Firebird Formula with the 5.7 TPI engine. Put it in second and go. It'll launch in first and automatically upshift. It'll kick down as needed.

If you're talking about a fourth gen F-body with a LT1 or LS1, then I don't have any experience with that.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by acrace
What year Trans Am and which Vette engine? I had both an '89 and a '90 Firebird Formula with the 5.7 TPI engine. Put it in second and go. It'll launch in first and automatically upshift. It'll kick down as needed.

If you're talking about a fourth gen F-body with a LT1 or LS1, then I don't have any experience with that.
Thanks - it's 4th generation - LT1 I think
Old 03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I autox'd a 92 C4 coupe with A4 for a couple of years. LT1 and 4L60 trans.

There are just a couple of things they need to watch out for:

Put it in 2nd and leave it there. Disable any traction control stuff.

Launching the car you want the 1-2 shift to happen in your favor. So if the start is an immediate slalom you must watch out for the 1-2 shift as it might throw the car around. Feathering the throttle to make it shift when you want is best. Then it'll stay in 2nd unless they are locking up the brakes and jabbing the gas pedal. Teach them that those pedals are not On/Off switches to be stabbed.

If there is a turnaround. Coming in under heavy braking and almost coming to a stop. Then turning the car 180 and nailing the throttle will bring the rear past the front. It's entertaining for course workers, but kills run times... Again feathering the throttle so that a 2-1 downshift or 1-2 upshift doesn't happen when the car isn't pointing straight.

I used to left foot brake with an A4 so I always had a foot on the pedal I needed. That takes some practice and decent motor control on both sides of your body. But it's faster than moving your right foot around.

At least race them on PAX since they're probably in FS and you're in AS. I know PAX SUX but give them a chance. Spank them by about 2 seconds PAXed so they'll actually think they have a chance if they come back again
Old 03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Thanks man - just what I needed!

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I autox'd a 92 C4 coupe with A4 for a couple of years. LT1 and 4L60 trans.

There are just a couple of things they need to watch out for:

Put it in 2nd and leave it there. Disable any traction control stuff.

Launching the car you want the 1-2 shift to happen in your favor. So if the start is an immediate slalom you must watch out for the 1-2 shift as it might throw the car around. Feathering the throttle to make it shift when you want is best. Then it'll stay in 2nd unless they are locking up the brakes and jabbing the gas pedal. Teach them that those pedals are not On/Off switches to be stabbed.

If there is a turnaround. Coming in under heavy braking and almost coming to a stop. Then turning the car 180 and nailing the throttle will bring the rear past the front. It's entertaining for course workers, but kills run times... Again feathering the throttle so that a 2-1 downshift or 1-2 upshift doesn't happen when the car isn't pointing straight.

I used to left foot brake with an A4 so I always had a foot on the pedal I needed. That takes some practice and decent motor control on both sides of your body. But it's faster than moving your right foot around.

At least race them on PAX since they're probably in FS and you're in AS. I know PAX SUX but give them a chance. Spank them by about 2 seconds PAXed so they'll actually think they have a chance if they come back again

Get notified of new replies

To Auto trans in AutoX

Quick Reply: Auto trans in AutoX