Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you mount race transponder??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you mount race transponder??

Only spot that looks like an option is the front z06 grill but I can't imagine there isn't a better place.

I just want to use zip ties also.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Only spot that looks like an option is the front z06 grill but I can't imagine there isn't a better place.

I just want to use zip ties also.
rear license plate screw
Old 03-12-2006, 02:03 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming rechargable -- in a C5, the center hump. Stuff it under the carpet, at the bottom.

Center hump not an option, then rear license plate screw.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by emf
Assuming rechargable -- in a C5, the center hump. Stuff it under the carpet, at the bottom.

Center hump not an option, then rear license plate screw.
How about some more elaboration.

When you say center hump, what do you mean? Under the carpet? How does it attach to the rear license plate screw?

Do these things have to have line of sight to the track or can they transmit through the floorboard or other obstructions?

What bout zip tieing them to the struts that are under the nose?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
johninar
Drifting

I rent one from the track (rechargeble) and I just put it in the left rear storage compartment. I works just fine there.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:27 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
How about some more elaboration.

When you say center hump, what do you mean? Under the carpet? How does it attach to the rear license plate screw?

Do these things have to have line of sight to the track or can they transmit through the floorboard or other obstructions?

What bout zip tieing them to the struts that are under the nose?

Umm . . . 2 separate mounting ideas.

1) In the trunk of a C5, stuff the transponder in the center storage compartment. The carpet has a seam in the back -- lift the carpet up slightly, stick the transponder underneath the carpet, and don't forget to take it out when you're done. The transponder is close enough to the ground to get picked up by the detection loop, and does not have any problems w/ reception through the composite floor. If you do NOT have carpets, tape the transponder in place with something suitable.

2) If this is NOT for a C5, if the center hump is occupied by something else which cannot be easily moved, or if you've cut the center hump out for . . . . something else, utilize the rear license plate or license plate screw.

I'd avoid mounting on the front skids . . . one bad off, and there's a good chance it won't be there when you get back to the pits. Of course YMMV and I'm sure someone will chime in and say "But I put mine there all the time", but I'd recommend against chancing it.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Ok my transponder has a mounting bracket.

How do you use a rear license plate screw to hold that down?? Or do you just zip tie it without the bracket and let it bang all around??

So it actually works being inside the car? Mine is rechargeable so you want quick access but maybe center well in rear on Z06 under the carpet is the place. Do you just tape it down or just place it under there and it stays in place??

Old 03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Just went out and checked and both side rear compartments are velcro in the middle for real easy undo and then place transponder under carpet and it should sit and stay no problem.

Key question is does it still get read from there?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Just went out and checked and both side rear compartments are velcro in the middle for real easy undo and then place transponder under carpet and it should sit and stay no problem.

Key question is does it still get read from there?
That should work, too. really, the transponder needs to be less than ~2 feet from the road to work optimally. The 1/8th inch of composite doesn't nuke the transponder signal much [if, at all].

Normally I'd just stuff the transponder under the carpet, and barring carpet then use tape. I guess, if you have a removable holster, you could get a bit fancier w/ attaching for a more permanent mount . . . not required IMO, but an option.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mount mine in the passenger side rear compartment storage bin. Figured it met the distance to road surface requirement and has worked fine.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Jaymz
Pro

I have mine mounted up under the nose of the car. If you are w2w racing you want it mounted as far forward as you can get it.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Put it someplace it won't get knocked off, if you brush a wall or engage in a little impromptu bump-drafting.

In W2W racing the location, unless mandated by the sanctioning body, is irrelevant. Race 'scoring' (the 'S' in T&S - Timing & Scoring) is supposed to be by visual observation, not by transponder 'passings'. If it's not, your racing organization isn't 'trying' very hard.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do you mount race transponder??

Quick Reply: Where do you mount race transponder??