Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G force during braking (F1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Default G force during braking (F1)

So I'm watching the qualifing in Bahrain. Coming into turn one the Gforce on braking into turn one is hitting 5 g's Wow.
So any one have an idea just how many G's we might see in a vette?
I'm sure no where near that. But any one know just what our cars are capable of?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 AM
bpirate
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just over 1g.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bpirate
Just over 1g.
And w/ race pads & big, front race tires--I'd bet it approches 1.5-1.7g peak
Old 03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
And w/ race pads & big, front race tires--I'd bet it approches 1.5-1.7g peak

When you go into a high speed braking zone and you brake so hard that your ears pop. that is just over 1 G. So I would agree 1.5-1.7 Gs
Old 03-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

5-6 gs empties your lacrimal/tear glands onto your shield. I think that's amazing!
And your pumpkin weighs 150+ pounds. Autoracing isn't a sport.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
TGrits10
Pro

Well a balanced car at peak cornering is *in theory* getting everything it can out of the tires, so if it can 1.0g cornering, then it stands to reason it would also pull 1.0g braking. However when you consider that wheelbase is longer than track (less weight transfer), the air is helping you slow down, and the contact patches are more stable under longitudinal loads....then it makes sense that your braking force would exceed your cornering force by some margin.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
5-6 gs empties your lacrimal/tear glands onto your shield.
What a treatment for sinus congestion.

What other modes of transportation approach or exceed the dynamic
performance of an F1 car on all axis? I expect that high-performance
aircraft are on the list but I'm not sure about their deceleration figures.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Well deceleration is negative acceleration, it's simply giving dierction to... nevermind....

Fighter planes can pull up to around 10 G's. However I believe the limiting factor is really the dude in the pilot seat, drone planes would be capable of much more. As it is the pilots have to wear G suits that put pressure on their body to keep the blood in their brain so they dont pass out and even still you can only sustain those high G's for a few seconds.

Which begs the question whell will F-1 adopt G-suits? I belive the reason they adopted the hanford device (is that what it was caled) was to slow the champ cars down on the super speedways because they where pulling I belive 10gs (becasue of the banking most of the force is downward not lateral) for sustained periods through the long corners lap after lap and many of the drivers were getting dizzy, which at 240mph is bad.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:34 PM
TGrits10
Pro

Originally Posted by psycho-mullet
Well deceleration is negative acceleration, it's simply giving dierction to... nevermind....

Fighter planes can pull up to around 10 G's. However I believe the limiting factor is really the dude in the pilot seat, drone planes would be capable of much more. As it is the pilots have to wear G suits that put pressure on their body to keep the blood in their brain so they dont pass out and even still you can only sustain those high G's for a few seconds.

Which begs the question whell will F-1 adopt G-suits? I belive the reason they adopted the hanford device (is that what it was caled) was to slow the champ cars down on the super speedways because they where pulling I belive 10gs (becasue of the banking most of the force is downward not lateral) for sustained periods through the long corners lap after lap and many of the drivers were getting dizzy, which at 240mph is bad.
Yeah the Hanford Device was/is kind of a double-whammy. The added drag slowed the cars down some (safety), and the loss of downforce forced the cars to slow down a bit for the corners (more safety). However they were never close to 10 G's. In practice at Texas Motor Speedway they were pulling 3+ G's and getting dizzy drivers so they cancelled the race, I think that's the incident you're referring to. I wish I could remember what kind of G's the F1 cars pull in cornering, especially in places like the banking at Indy.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

On Grand Turismo I pull a bunch of G's................

....then I crash!
Old 03-11-2006, 05:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon

....then I crash!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:18 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Per a Castrol Motor Oil website:

"Hanging in their safety harnesses, drivers are subjected to deceleration forces of 5g under maximum braking and up to 4.5g in cornering forces – equating to a load of 35kg being exerted on the driver’s neck muscles."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=2
Old 03-11-2006, 06:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Rats, I wonder if I can get cable installed by tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:35 PM
bpirate
Burning Brakes

The new ZO6 stops from 60mph in around 108 feet. This equates to 1.12 g. Now if it had very sticky tires AND a lot of downforce/drag I could see that figure go up some. For most of us our cars are capable of a little over 1g. Because of their high drag numbers F1 cars experience over 2g of decell from top speed just by lifting .
Old 03-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Roadrace65
Pro

Last weekend I ran a NCCC AutoX at Southern National Speedway in Kenly NC. My 2000 FRC, on Kumho 710s - Hawk HT10s - and NAPA rotors - As per my Gtech RR pulled 1.2G on the brakes going into turn 1. I'll bet it could pull higher if I was trying to hit bigger numbers.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:30 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by bpirate
The new ZO6 stops from 60mph in around 108 feet. This equates to 1.12 g. Now if it had very sticky tires AND a lot of downforce/drag I could see that figure go up some. For most of us our cars are capable of a little over 1g. Because of their high drag numbers F1 cars experience over 2g of decell from top speed just by lifting .
Yes stops real short,
I guess none of us has actually done this with a Gmeter. I have one but never used it on the track. I have seen 1.1G on the street in my C4
Guess I'll have to set it up & see just how much it is.
I know My Z stops much quicker than my old car. (stock)
Old 03-11-2006, 09:16 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by TGrits10
However they were never close to 10 G's. In practice at Texas Motor Speedway they were pulling 3+ G's and getting dizzy drivers so they cancelled the race, I think that's the incident you're referring to.
That's the incidnet I was refering to.

Get notified of new replies

To G force during braking (F1)

Old 03-11-2006, 09:16 PM
sd7ss
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

especially in places like the banking at Indy.
Didn't know Indy had much banking. At least not like Daytona.

As to other forms of self abuse, I remember seeing a documentary on the guy who used to pilot an F-16 in airshow routines. He was experiencing 5 to 8 g's almost continuously for a 25 minute show.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Yeah the Hanford Device was/is kind of a double-whammy. The added drag slowed the cars down some (safety), and the loss of downforce forced the cars to slow down a bit for the corners (more safety). However they were never close to 10 G's. In practice at Texas Motor Speedway they were pulling 3+ G's and getting dizzy drivers so they cancelled the race, I think that's the incident you're referring to. I wish I could remember what kind of G's the F1 cars pull in cornering, especially in places like the banking at Indy.
At the Texas Motor Speedway, the problems that the CART drivers experienced were actually the G forces from constantly turning and the G forces of the banking pushing the drivers into their seats as well.
The only option to run @ Texas Motor Speedway was to slow the cars down.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:33 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalky
The only option to run @ Texas Motor Speedway was to slow the cars down.
Or run the road course there.

Quick Reply: G force during braking (F1)