Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads -only auto-x-

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:31 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake pads -only auto-x-

Ok, I hate to do this to you guys. But it seems a lot of the brake pad recommendations are angled towards serving at least dual duty of HPDE's too.
Just Auto-crossing here, may be used on the street, but I am ok with swapping pads.

So what pads does a 400rwtq C4 Corvette with C5 front calipers need for auto-x in SM2?

I would love to hear personal experience on street/auto-x opinions as well.

Sorry guys, my only other source of info drives cars 1/2 the weight and 1/4 as powerful and I worry the comparison doesn't transfer well.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:32 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about a year ago, I started using Wilwood E-compound pads and really like them. I've use them full time, so they get a mix of street driving AutoX and Nurburgring. They are a little loud for street use and dust a lot, but they stop great and have a good feel. I have yet to take them on a more aggressive braking track, which I'm sure the Hs are much better for, but for AutoX and light braking track use on Street tires, they are great.

You'll probably also get recomendations for Hawk HP+, Carbotech Panther + and other aggressive street pads that are a little short of a full blown race pad because AutoX doesn't give you enough time to really get the brakes hot like you can on a roadcourse.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the National guys run, in this order:

1) Hawk HP+ --- dusty and noisey
2) Stock --- dusty
3) PFC-Z rated --- not as dusty, quiet

FWIW, they all have great grip and work well cold (You don't get much heat in them at an autox) since you'll need good bite cold.

Non of them are good for track events but they work well on the street but the Hawks can squeal on the streets.

I run the PFC-Z rated pads.

Good luck.

Last edited by TedDBere; 03-11-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:09 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would recommend the Hawk HP+ pads for autox. Great cold bite (which is something that is very desirable for auto-x and you can run them on the street too). They do dust but for general street use it's not that bad. And if you wash the car frequently, that's not a big problem.

I run them on my 87 coupe for autox events and just keep them on the car for street driving. I have not had any issues with noise from these pads. I run HPS pads on the rear. No problems at all.

If you don't mind swapping pads, get the Hawk HPS pads for street use, These pads also work very well when cold and still provide much better braking compared to stock pads. You should not have to do more than one bedding procedure with the Hawk pads. Bed in the HPS pads and you can go right to the HP+ with no problems.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:28 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Excellent Replies.

Lancer033- I had read on your website you recommended the E compounds but I wasn't too familiar with them. Thanks.

Ted- Thank, I like that solid info and was wondering what they are running on the national level. What is good for them, is good enough for me!

C4cruiser- Well, ok then. I'll take a chance on em. And if it doesn't work out well. HPS go on for the street. Thing is, the car gets ~1-1.5k a year. So I think I can live even if mine does squeel.

Thanks all!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Here's another vote for the PFC Z-rated pads; work great on the street and get better with the amount of heat you get into them during an autocross.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the same problem, ~400hp ZR-1 that handles and pulls great but just won't stop. I'm using PFZ's now for low and high speed AX. Heading to Rockingham in April and need some more stopping power.

All I can change is pads to stay in class/group. Has anyone used Hawk Black pads? Not publicized but some of the guys are saying they are good pad between the HP+ anf the HT-10.

I'm fine changing pads for AX.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Monks
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I used Carbotech Panther + pads on my SM2 C4...great pads.

I am getting ready to put a set of P+ my SM2 C5 also. The car currently
has a set of Hawk HPS, and I must say I am impressed with them on
the AX course.

Russ
Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I had an 86 with the 12 inch brakes and with the stock pads it would stop very well on an autocross course. I updated to the 13 inch brakes for DEs and ran some aftermarket pads but the car didn't perform any better on an autocross course.

If you are into ABS on an autocross course better pads will not help. You are getting all you can from the brake system. The only thing that will improve stopping is better tires.

Bill
Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are into ABS on an autocross course better pads will not help. You are getting all you can from the brake system. The only thing that will improve stopping is better tires.

Bill
Well, except for the pads' performance as they get hotter and the better feel a pad with a higher torquing capacity can give you.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-14-2006, 05:28 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys!

Bill, I definitly see what you are saying. The car currently "has" the smallest C4 caliperr/rotor combo out there. The single piston design. I picked up a set of C5s because it looked like fun and I wanted to be able to use the brakes for a wide variety of events/excercises and not worry about the brakes as much.

I do realize though, it would be pointless, however at this time with the mileage I have. It is a good time to replace calipers/rotors/pads...so I just went C5s.

Thanks again guys and I can't wait for this summer.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex
I have the same problem, ~400hp ZR-1 that handles and pulls great but just won't stop. I'm using PFZ's now for low and high speed AX. Heading to Rockingham in April and need some more stopping power.

All I can change is pads to stay in class/group. Has anyone used Hawk Black pads? Not publicized but some of the guys are saying they are good pad between the HP+ anf the HT-10.

I'm fine changing pads for AX.
Hey Tony,
I wish I had a "400HP problem"
In my opinion/experience the Hawk HP+ is noticeably better than the PF ZRated. I run them everywhere... road course, auto-x, & on the street.

I have a set of Hawk Black pads, I like them too. They work from cold to about 1000 degrees. They will make your eyes hurt they stop so fast. The downside: Really rough on the rotors, not streetable (due to noise), the dust will embedd into your wheels & then rust.
Despite the negetives when I get serious, I run the blacks!!! I'll have them on when we go to CMP for Labor Day.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Ant! Greg said you were running the blacks and I heard that motor in Kenley, you ain't missin 400hp by much if any

I used those orange rubber pads also known as cones to try to stop in turn 1 at Kenley, ain't much stop in those things
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex
Thanks Ant! Greg said you were running the blacks and I heard that motor in Kenley, you ain't missin 400hp by much if any

I used those orange rubber pads also known as cones to try to stop in turn 1 at Kenley, ain't much stop in those things
Just to clarify... I was running the HP+ pads at Kenley.
Just to clarify .. part 2 I'm probably within 100 of making 400 horses.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads -only auto-x-

Quick Reply: Brake pads -only auto-x-