Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brake fluid to use?

Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default What brake fluid to use?

I just went to WSIR (Willow Springs International Raceway) and intend to do these HPDE events several times a year. The car held up great, no problem to report. I understand that the brake fluid should be changed periodically if the car is run hard, as it was at WSIR. Should I just stick with the stock fluid? I used Motul 800 in my 02 Z06, but since I didn't track the car that often, I noticed no improvement with the GM stuff vs. Motul. I also saw no problems with the padlets either. I guess for an occasional tracker like myself, all the stock stuff is more than enough, just add seat time.

Thanks,
Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good fuild is a very cheap insurance. Have you ever had the brake pedal go to the floor at over 100MPH? It would not be cool at all. 16-20 bucks a bottle is well worth the money.

Randy
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Castrol SRF good luck on your new ride
Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM
steve-d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change your fluid and mazimize your seat time.

Dot 3 will work as well as Castrol SRF if neither is boiled. If you aren't yet to the point of creating maximum brake heat, the fluid hasn't met its maker yet. When it does, you will be presented a rude awakening. Going into a corner w/o meaningful brakes is an experience you needn't go through. You've taken a very prudent step in changing to a good race fluid and you've made your car safer on the track for yourself and others.

Race brake fluid provides additional head room regarding the resistance to extreme heat. If you don't generate a lot of heat, any fluid from Dot 3 to the best race fluid will work fine. When you get to the point of exceeding the Dot 3 limits you'll appreciate your switch to an improved performance fluid.

steve

Edit: Opps, I see you switched to Moutol in your last car. Do the same for this car and you won't regret it. It doesn't matter that you didn't experience a failure. The stock fluid has a very limited heat range when exposed to race heat. Change it!

Last edited by steve-d; 03-10-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Castrol SRF

Just use the best. Expensive maybe, but running on the track, will you risk boiling your brake fluid to save $60? Losing brakes sucks, and can be far more expensive. Save the money somewhere else.

http://performance.accuratetechnolog...products_id=20

Do NOT use silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) because it can damage the internals of the ABS system.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
Castrol SRF

Just use the best. Expensive maybe, but running on the track, will you risk boiling your brake fluid to save $60? Losing brakes sucks, and can be far more expensive. Save the money somewhere else.

http://performance.accuratetechnolog...products_id=20

Do NOT use silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) because it can damage the internals of the ABS system.

I found it to be the cheapest per mile plus less labor.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Big track isn't too bad on brakes, and as such you won't see nearly that much wear or heat. That said, Motul will be more than adequate for occasional track days @ WSIR and mostly highway driving. If you routinely head up to Buttonwillow, then that may be a different story . . . . .
SRF works well, but the fact of the matter is you won't put enough heat in to need it on that track.

Kailo's event fairly uncluttered this time? the last event I went to in November had 9 billion cars per run group
Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Markatl
Advanced

Castrol SRF. Just today spoke with someone who crewed for a Porsche at Daytona. The car came in with it's brakes on fire but the SRF never boiled and the brakes still worked!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I found it to be the cheapest per mile plus less labor.
What do you mean "less labor"? Is changing to Castrol SRF somehow different than changing to another brand brake fluid? Does it have the highest wet boiling point? Also some "race" brake fluid has to be changed more often, even if you don't race the car, because it absorbs moisture more readily than others. I believe Motul 800 is good in this respect. Was that wrong info?

emf:I was in the beginner group, and it wasn't that crowded. The intermediate group was more crowded, my friend who's a very good driver, got held up multiple times due to his group having too many cars.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone use ATE Super Blue? I've used it in other cars on the track and it works great. Never had a boiling problem with it. Had planned on putting it in the Z06. Any thoughts?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
What do you mean "less labor"? Is changing to Castrol SRF somehow different than changing to another brand brake fluid?
Before each event just bleed each caliper a bit. With other fluids yoru doing a FULL FLUSH before each event

[qutoe]Does it have the highest wet boiling point?[/quote] YES

Also some "race" brake fluid has to be changed more often, even if you don't race the car, because it absorbs moisture more readily than others. I believe Motul 800 is good in this respect. Was that wrong info?
No, better fluids have the higher wet boiling points as they absourbe water less.

Most DOT 4 fluids need to be flushed before each track day.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:05 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Motul 600 in the front and Valvoline SynPower in the rear. If you change your fluid immediately before each event, thats all thats needed. I like Motul because it changes color after one event and makes the next fluid change easier. Never heard of Motul 800. Is that a new product?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Before each event just bleed each caliper a bit. With other fluids yoru doing a FULL FLUSH before each event
I would rather do a bit extra labor and have new fluid. The old Castrol fluid may keep its boiling point high, but new fluid always has better pedal feel for me. Probably due to contaminents. The span between track events can influence ones choices too.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by emf
Big track isn't too bad on brakes, and as such you won't see nearly that much wear or heat. That said, Motul will be more than adequate for occasional track days @ WSIR and mostly highway driving. If you routinely head up to Buttonwillow, then that may be a different story . . . . .
SRF works well, but the fact of the matter is you won't put enough heat in to need it on that track.

Kailo's event fairly uncluttered this time? the last event I went to in November had 9 billion cars per run group

I was there in November too ..... funny, I only counted 8 billion cars

I'm using Dot 4 (Prestone) ...... but it held up very well at Button Willow along with Hawk HP+ pads. No fade and no soft pedal. But I did bleed a whole pint in right before that track day

DH
Old 03-10-2006, 03:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
What do you mean "less labor"? Is changing to Castrol SRF somehow different than changing to another brand brake fluid? Does it have the highest wet boiling point? Also some "race" brake fluid has to be changed more often, even if you don't race the car, because it absorbs moisture more readily than others. I believe Motul 800 is good in this respect. Was that wrong info?

emf:I was in the beginner group, and it wasn't that crowded. The intermediate group was more crowded, my friend who's a very good driver, got held up multiple times due to his group having too many cars.

I don't bother to change it or bleed it as often. Requires way less maintenance and way less fluid so it is cheaper. Like Red Wing Boots vs cheap work boots mine last more than 3X as long.They work better while wearing them so they are better and cheaper.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:27 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by steve-d
When it does, you will be presented a rude awakening. Going into a corner w/o meaningful brakes is an experience you needn't go through.
However, when you do survive such an incident, you will never, ever ,begin to think about going to the track again without fresh fluid ever--a very strong memory is forged in just a few seconds!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:29 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=AU N EGL]Before each event just bleed each caliper a bit. With other fluids yoru doing a FULL FLUSH before each event

QUOTE]

Why do you recommend a full flush with other fluids, but only caliper bleeding with Castrol SRF?

Get notified of new replies

To What brake fluid to use?

Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Never heard of Motul 800. Is that a new product?

Sorry, typo error, it's 600.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used motul and Gs610 without having to do full flushes... I think once you've gotten in the top shelf fluids, they tend to last quite a bit longer, and with less full flushing than the lower end fluids...

Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Good fuild is a very cheap insurance. Have you ever had the brake pedal go to the floor at over 100MPH? It would not be cool at all. 16-20 bucks a bottle is well worth the money.

Randy
Since we're on the subject, Garry Hoffman asked me to host this video a while back. Great example of what can happen. I'm not sure the the fluid boiled or exactly why the brakes failed, but the car was at the top of 4th gear going into a turn and had no brakes

(2.83MB)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What brake fluid to use?