Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover spring rates

I'm trying to settle on an initial spring rate for my new coilovers. What spring rates do you have on your coilovers and what wings, splitters or air dams do you have?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Monks
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No wing or splitter, autocross car, DRM coil overs

Front 450#
Rear 600#, (trying a set of 550# next week)

Russ
Old 03-09-2006, 06:30 AM
vette.se
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danswofford
I'm trying to settle on an initial spring rate for my new coilovers. What spring rates do you have on your coilovers and what wings, splitters or air dams do you have?
I currently use 450 front and 600 rear. Roadrace car with no wing or splitter. I got that recommendation from DRM.

Recently I talked to Lou at LG Motorsports and he have a different opinion about spring rates. This was his answer:

If you have stock rear shock pickups on the car you have a different effective wheel rate than a modified shock pick up. The other factor is the angle of the shocks. With the stock shock angle in the rear, you have a “digressive rate” since the wheel rate changes with every inch of wheel travel for the worse. The rear shock angle changes so rapidly that you will have to spring it up stiffer to reduce the variance.

I have run so many track sessions testing our shocks that I can confirm that when we run 700 fronts and 600 rear we have a fine handling car, that is capable of running World Challenge lap times. The stock wheel rate in the rear will actually lower your rear spring rate by 55% at one point in the wheel travel then even lower as the car travels further.

If the car has wings, and front splitter, you must raise the springs rates to 850 front, 750 rear. Again, we have tested this time and time again.

I will try the 700 fronts and 600 rear and have my Ohlins shocks rebuilt to match the new springrates this summer.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anders,
Make sure your shocks can handle the extra spring rate.

Randy
Old 03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 700f, 600r on mine. My shock geometry is closer to stock than LG's. This setup works well for bars like the Hotchkis ones.

When running T1 bars, I have to up the rear spring rate (600f, 700r) to balance the car against that big front bar.

Last edited by BPC5R; 03-09-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coilover spring rates

Quick Reply: Coilover spring rates