Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the C6 Z06 brake pkg the "way to go" C5 brake upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Is the C6 Z06 brake pkg the "way to go" C5 brake upgrade or not?

I was under the impression that this was supposed to be the reasonably priced solution,and thus the hot ticket, for people who have been confronted for years with nothing but $3-5k brake upgrade packages.

However, I was reading an article in the April issue of Corvette magazine ("One step beyond"), which makes me wonder otherwise. The article was discussing various tuners' efforts to improve upon the C6 Z06, and had Doug Rippie stating "People are already commenting on the brakes....I don't know why the factory has not addressed that [no mention is made of what 'that' is], but either way it's good for us. We're going to offer 15 inch rotors with six-piston calipers."

When I read that I interpreted it to mean that there was something lacking or amiss in the new system, not bad per se but just typical GM cutting a few corners to get the brake package to meet its required production cost structure. So what exactly is the assessment on the system, and what, if anyone knows (or thinks they know), was Rippie alluding to? I ask this because I've seen some posts of people installing the system on their C5s, as well as at least one vendor hawking the factory kit's aftermarket availability.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Not. There have been severl of us who have driven the new Z on track and many more who own the new Z.

The brake package on the car LOOKS good and brakes work well for ppl who use the car on the street and occationlly on the track with a brake pad (padlet) upgrade to the Carbotech race pads and better brake fluid.

For serious track guys StopTech is the brake of choice. StopTech is swampped with orders for BBKs for ppl to replace the brakes on the New Z. The may be severl weeks behind on filling orders do to the demand.

The stock PBR brake caliper on the C5 and C6s are acctully very good brakes with Fluid, race pad upgrades and better cooling.

Rember the stock PBR caliper was designed to be as good if not better then most 4 pistion calipers.

There are severl BBK companies that are very good.

StopTech
AP Racing ( owned by PBR )
Colman
Wilwood
Brembo ( Personlly I am not a big Brembo fan for most of their kits- The big BIG dollar racing brakes are great, some of the others that I have experienced I was not impressed with and thought the stock PBR brakes were far better)

PFC
and there are a few more brands.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pads are thin and expensive. Some people have roasted them in a few sessions. You can wait and see if someone uses race pads. Carbotech is available now in race pads. They will be others to follow but I guess pads will be $$$$$ I wouild get some front Wilwoods from LGM for 1500. Pads last, they are .80", and they are cheap. I have had great experiences with them. You can use NAPA rotors for 25 ea or get some two piece Stoptechs like I did. Rears don't do much. Also yoiu will need some LGM and DRM brake ducts no mater what you run.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for the replies. So in your estimation, is the (unique as far as I know) individual multiple pad design the crux of the problem? Apart from that, would the caliper design have been sound? It certainly appears substantial. I know, for example, everyone says the C5's PBR caliper is decent for what it is, but under more rigorous applications you will experience flexing, pad taper, etc. It just makes me wonder what the engineers were thinking; it seems all to often they feel the need to "reinvent the wheel".
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouild get some front Wilwoods from LGM for 1500. Pads last, they are .80", and they are cheap.
The G-Stop package is hard to beat, you have more rotor options (NAPA's or 2 piece aftermarket), pads are cheaper and last longer. This is a great upgrade for someone who wants serious brakes but doesn't want to shell out 3-5k for a BBK.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wamara
Thanks for the replies. So in your estimation, is the (unique as far as I know) individual multiple pad design the crux of the problem? Apart from that, would the caliper design have been sound? It certainly appears substantial. I know, for example, everyone says the C5's PBR caliper is decent for what it is, but under more rigorous applications you will experience flexing, pad taper, etc. It just makes me wonder what the engineers were thinking; it seems all to often they feel the need to "reinvent the wheel".

The idea is sound and some race calipers have similar design. They are 10,000 + not the cheap crap GM dumped on the Z. They should have went with the Brembo's like the Viper. That was the original rumor. Then to make the rotor vanes the same for both sides
Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Your Worst Nightmare
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
The idea is sound and some race calipers have similar design. They are 10,000 + not the cheap crap GM dumped on the Z. They should have went with the Brembo's like the Viper. That was the original rumor. Then to make the rotor vanes the same for both sides
John is right on....
Old 03-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Red06C6
Cruising

Default Callaway BBK?

Anyone have experience with the Callaway BBK?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Red06C6

Those are Alcon Brakes. Very good brakes.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red06C6

I am sure it is a great kit
Old 03-11-2006, 10:33 PM
ace996
Pro

I currently have the CTS-V with the 14"Brembos and I'd love to be able to mount these on a C5Z06. For these brakes to be able to take the abuse of hauling a 4Klbs sedan as well as they do...over and over again without fade is simply amazing. I know the STI and Evo use the same front calipers but have smaller rotors, and they are quite adept at slowing down.

Seems like Brembo isn't a real popular Vette upgrade, but I rely on them on my Ducati and my V. Should someone be able to ****** a set of the CTS-V/STI/Evo calipers on Ebay for a good price, I doubt they'd be disappointed.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:55 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=John Shiels]Pads are thin and expensive. QUOTE]

For over $300 for just a front set of Carbotech XP10's....no f'n way. And Carbotechs are the cheapest race pad out there...think of how much 01's will cost? These are only a good deal if the calipers were $400 (for both). In 1 or 2 seasons, with pads that cost that much, you'll spend enough money buying 4 new sets of Stoptechs. You have to look at the BIG picture.

Cheap IS expensive!

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C6 Z06 brake pkg the "way to go" C5 brake upgrade or not?

Quick Reply: Is the C6 Z06 brake pkg the "way to go" C5 brake upgrade or not?