Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On bumpy uneven surfaces do your cars tend to skip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default On bumpy uneven surfaces do your cars tend to skip?

Since I think alot of you are running stiff fornt springs and not alot of travel do your cars skip under bumpy uneven cornering? Im trying to set up my suspension and I need a few of you guys to chime and tell what happens under bumpy uneven cornering. I don't have any road races under my belt so I don't know this feeling.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
MistressMotorsports
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

It is possible to go too stiff with springs, but if you go with the commercially available stuff made for your car, you will most likely be ok. I found that shocks had a lot more to do with "skipping" than springs. With the old C4 race car, I found that even on relatively smooth tracks like Laguna Seca, the car would chatter in certain sections like the exit of 10, etc. Going a little softer on the shocks solved the issue and helped lap times. Of course, there can be a lot more technical discussion like compression versus rebound, spring frequencies, etc., but that would require a lot more specific info about your particular setup and where you are running.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MistressMotorsports
It is possible to go too stiff with springs, but if you go with the commercially available stuff made for your car, you will most likely be ok. I found that shocks had a lot more to do with "skipping" than springs. With the old C4 race car, I found that even on relatively smooth tracks like Laguna Seca, the car would chatter in certain sections like the exit of 10, etc. Going a little softer on the shocks solved the issue and helped lap times. Of course, there can be a lot more technical discussion like compression versus rebound, spring frequencies, etc., but that would require a lot more specific info about your particular setup and where you are running.

Much of the "skipping", "jumping", or poor general performance that you would commonly see is based upon shock valving moreso than springs. Yes, you can run into problems running too stiff of a spring, but it's more a function of driving style, type, track surface, etc.

For the most part, I [personally] haven't had any problems with fairly heavy springs until the car comes completely unloaded . . . . but that's a completely different issue of inertia all together.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by emf

Much of the "skipping", "jumping", or poor general performance that you would commonly see is based upon shock valving moreso than springs. Yes, you can run into problems running too stiff of a spring, but it's more a function of driving style, type, track surface, etc.

For the most part, I [personally] haven't had any problems with fairly heavy springs until the car comes completely unloaded . . . . but that's a completely different issue of inertia all together.

Bigger tires tend to fall down or over cracks that run in the direction of travel.

another things if the car is lowered more then 1 ' stiffer suppenion tends to bottom out cause the car to jump, bounce or skip when hitting a sgnificant bump.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is stiff 1200/900 VBP and for the course I've been on Lime Rock, VIR, Glen, Pocono I have had no problem. People complain about LRP front straight but I enjoy it. Guess it is in the shocks. I haven't driven much more than my car so it is hard for me to know. Tunnel turn at Pocono is 125 mph even over the bump which I feel isn't bad. Most hate it and you can avoid it if need be. Before I revaled my Bilsteins to match the springs I did a few laps and knew what scary was. Rolled it right back on the trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To On bumpy uneven surfaces do your cars tend to skip?

Quick Reply: On bumpy uneven surfaces do your cars tend to skip?