Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes represented well at CMP with the Porsches....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Corvettes represented well at CMP with the Porsches....

We had a pretty good contingent of 'Vettes at CMP this weekend where we ran with the Porsche crowd.

We had 7 or 8 Vettes, a couple of RX8's, and a couple of Porsches who hung out with us up on poverty row.

We had Vark and his cuzin' (he drove a Porsche, but he was still a good guy), AG-z06 and his dad in a Subie, WNDPLDR in Butt Ugly, Sam Barnett in his C5 'vert, EO in his C5, Phil Smith in his Z06, Charlie T in his C5, Mazdarati Rob in multiple RX8's, a Porsche fellow from SC who enjoys Chevys, my son and me in my Z06.

We formed an enclave in the low rent district. We couldn't find any wild game to Bar-B-Que or anything else to torment, so we ate hamburgers and other tasteless track food and otherwise behaved ourselves.

Saturday morning started out cold and many of the P-car guys couldn't wait for the tires to warm up and there were more spins than at the figure skating contests during the winter Olympics. Nothing got torn up, but it was an attention inspiring 1st session. About 4 laps into that session, as we were boogying down the start/finish straight, someone whooaaed up suddenly and cars started going everywhere trying to avoid contact. One car even managed to turn 180 d. and go back up the pit out lane. That was a marvelous piece of driving and I'm still trying to understand how he pulled that off.

Other than Saturday morning it was pretty much uneventful and we all brought back to our houses what we took to the track. Life was good.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After going 90 days without a on track event (just to prove it is not an addiction) I made it through my track day 2006 season opener with the Carolina PCA at Carolina Motorsports Park with no real issues. Let me sum up:

* The weather was sunny Friday--Sunday, it was cold at night, the mornings were a bit brisk (frosty even) and the wind was pretty constant.
* Being March I did not consider the need for sunblock or even chapstick - that was a bit of a mistake. Wind burn was the environmental threat this weekend.
* I did actually remember to bring everything to the track that I needed though. I even had spares (e.g., rotors/pads/tires) that I did not need even need.
* We tried to use baling wire (procured from a paddock mate) and duct tape to hold together my cousins fender flapper 1999 Porsche 911 in an attempt get it through tech. Didn't work out - we eventually found some tie down straps at Walmart to secure the battery to pass tech inspection. Telling Denise her car had baling wire on it was well worth the aggravation. It may not be safe for me to be around her for a while - but it was worth it....
* I was paddocked between Big Pine Key Motorsports one side and ROAR Racing on the other - made my shoestring outfit look, well, shoestring...
* My oil temps never exceeded 265 all weekend. Good ambient temps or wimpy driving - probably depends on viewpoint
* Carbotech XP8s worked great - I will pull them this week after 2 days at Barber, 2 days at VIR and 2 days at CMP to see how they are holding up. I had no fade at CMP, VIR or Barber with them, at all. Again it is a pretty mild pad but seems to suit my mild driving style OK.
* I ran 315/35-17 Hoosiers on all four corners for the first time and I still plowed when I overdrove the tires...I was trying to copy the BPKM methods as much as possible I guess
* The alignment from Aiken Discount Tire is great for a dual duty car.
* My wipers decided they wanted to run all the time - pretty disconcerting to try to fiddle with a non-responsive switch and chase down a BPKM team driver at the same time. I had to pull the fuse to get them to shut off - try to do that on the track (just kidding).
* Since the wipers were not in the stowed position the aerodynamic drag had to be slowing me down on the straights - that is my story anyway
* 4 of the tires I picked up from Cass at the NCM event in October are ready for the scrapyard now but even slippery Hoosiers are better than street tires
* 2nd gear and greasy Hoosiers are not the best combo in a ZO6 at CMP - great fun - it is like being on dirt road in Grandma's Impala at age 16 again - but not terribly fast
* David (the 911 guy) had to hang out with a bunch of Corvette guys all weekend. In time, maybe we will convert him to the darkside. His car did look good parked amongst us.
* I am glad most all Corvette drivers are old so we paddock close to the restrooms. There is a downside to staying hydrated.
* All there conspired to make me drink way too many malted beverages all weekend long. After the track was closed of course.
* I did not get a single black flag all weekend.
* There is a certain V8 conversion 240Z which is just way too dang fast - and well driven I might add.
* The near new 911 Turbo GT with tweaks driven by a Orthopedic surgeon who looks 28 is about the fastest thing with fenders I have seen at CMP - ever.
* David got much smoother and faster as the weekend progressed - if nothing else you learn fast footwork at CMP.
* Heck he did not even spin all weekend
* With a little better continuity of track events David should be ripping up the track in fine style.
* David's pad wear indicator came on as we caravanned back through Lugoff, SC. A quick stop at Aardvark Performance's state of the art garage on Sunday evening got him back on the road with a fresh set of Hawk pads on the front.
* I saw a lot of spins this last weekend. There was only, relatively speaking, a minor amount of damage on a Turbo 911 from contact with the tire wall at Turn 3 out of all the spinning.
* I am pretty sure Mazdarati Rob was one of the spinners...
* I learned wheels can get really hot from heat transfer from the brake rotors.
* Butt Ugly looked really good on track until he cooked his brakes on Sunday
* I learned that there are a lot of really good drivers out there.
* I noted again there are some drivers who still outdrive their cars.
* There are times when I tend to drive harder than others
* I saw a lot of people having a really great time.
* I am back at CMP on Friday, Sat and Sun
Old 03-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sounds like a blast fellas.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry i missed it...work has been a bear and the registration date came and went (filled) before i remembered to send it in...my bad My opener for the year is mazda at the end of the month...just wish it was VIR Full, not North
Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Sorry I missed it.
I've just been trying to do only NASA events this year as with a pregnant wife and being TT director for the Southeast my racing is limited to a only what you are directing deal it seems.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Great weekend summary, guys! What awesome track weather we had and despite a little sunburn and chapped lips, I think we can all say that we've had another successful weekend with our gracious Porsche Club hosts! They really put on a stellar event. Even with the time lost due to the Turbo in the tire wall incident, they did a good job of managing track time and keeping the event under control.
Thanks Carolinas PCA for letting us Vette guys come out and play!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by varkwso
After going 90 days without a on track event (just to prove it is not an addiction) I made it through my track day 2006 season opener with the Carolina PCA at Carolina Motorsports Park with no real issues. Let me sum up:

* The weather was sunny Friday--Sunday, it was cold at night, the mornings were a bit brisk (frosty even) and the wind was pretty constant.
* Being March I did not consider the need for sunblock or even chapstick - that was a bit of a mistake. Wind burn was the environmental threat this weekend.
* I did actually remember to bring everything to the track that I needed though. I even had spares (e.g., rotors/pads/tires) that I did not need even need.
* We tried to use baling wire (procured from a paddock mate) and duct tape to hold together my cousins fender flapper 1999 Porsche 911 in an attempt get it through tech. Didn't work out - we eventually found some tie down straps at Walmart to secure the battery to pass tech inspection. Telling Denise her car had baling wire on it was well worth the aggravation. It may not be safe for me to be around her for a while - but it was worth it....
* I was paddocked between Big Pine Key Motorsports one side and ROAR Racing on the other - made my shoestring outfit look, well, shoestring...
* My oil temps never exceeded 265 all weekend. Good ambient temps or wimpy driving - probably depends on viewpoint
* Carbotech XP8s worked great - I will pull them this week after 2 days at Barber, 2 days at VIR and 2 days at CMP to see how they are holding up. I had no fade at CMP, VIR or Barber with them, at all. Again it is a pretty mild pad but seems to suit my mild driving style OK.
* I ran 315/35-17 Hoosiers on all four corners for the first time and I still plowed when I overdrove the tires...I was trying to copy the BPKM methods as much as possible I guess
* The alignment from Aiken Discount Tire is great for a dual duty car.
* My wipers decided they wanted to run all the time - pretty disconcerting to try to fiddle with a non-responsive switch and chase down a BPKM team driver at the same time. I had to pull the fuse to get them to shut off - try to do that on the track (just kidding).
* Since the wipers were not in the stowed position the aerodynamic drag had to be slowing me down on the straights - that is my story anyway
* 4 of the tires I picked up from Cass at the NCM event in October are ready for the scrapyard now but even slippery Hoosiers are better than street tires
* 2nd gear and greasy Hoosiers are not the best combo in a ZO6 at CMP - great fun - it is like being on dirt road in Grandma's Impala at age 16 again - but not terribly fast
* David (the 911 guy) had to hang out with a bunch of Corvette guys all weekend. In time, maybe we will convert him to the darkside. His car did look good parked amongst us.
* I am glad most all Corvette drivers are old so we paddock close to the restrooms. There is a downside to staying hydrated.
* All there conspired to make me drink way too many malted beverages all weekend long. After the track was closed of course.
* I did not get a single black flag all weekend.
* There is a certain V8 conversion 240Z which is just way too dang fast - and well driven I might add.
* The near new 911 Turbo GT with tweaks driven by a Orthopedic surgeon who looks 28 is about the fastest thing with fenders I have seen at CMP - ever.
* David got much smoother and faster as the weekend progressed - if nothing else you learn fast footwork at CMP.
* Heck he did not even spin all weekend
* With a little better continuity of track events David should be ripping up the track in fine style.
* David's pad wear indicator came on as we caravanned back through Lugoff, SC. A quick stop at Aardvark Performance's state of the art garage on Sunday evening got him back on the road with a fresh set of Hawk pads on the front.
* I saw a lot of spins this last weekend. There was only, relatively speaking, a minor amount of damage on a Turbo 911 from contact with the tire wall at Turn 3 out of all the spinning.
* I am pretty sure Mazdarati Rob was one of the spinners...
* I learned wheels can get really hot from heat transfer from the brake rotors.
* Butt Ugly looked really good on track until he cooked his brakes on Sunday
* I learned that there are a lot of really good drivers out there.
* I noted again there are some drivers who still outdrive their cars.
* There are times when I tend to drive harder than others
* I saw a lot of people having a really great time.
* I am back at CMP on Friday, Sat and Sun

Well ...............tell me how ya feel Jeff
Did the paint blister on the front wheel
Old 03-07-2006, 02:28 PM
johnsea06
Racer

Nice write-up... sounds like a great weekend...
Old 03-07-2006, 04:08 PM
bpirate
Burning Brakes

Time for the obligatory videos!
Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE

Well ...............tell me how ya feel Jeff
Did the paint blister on the front wheel

Paint seems OK
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Jeff,

Great review. I vote you for the journalist for all HPDE events. Of coarse with input from the mayor. This is good.

Brad
Old 03-08-2006, 06:48 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
Jeff,

Great review. I vote you for the journalist for all HPDE events. Of coarse with input from the mayor. This is good.

Brad

Thanks - where would we all be without the Mayor...

Working and getting ready for another event this weekend is a lot of work!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
A quick stop at Aardvark Performance's state of the art garage on Sunday evening got him back on the road with a fresh set of Hawk pads on the front.
Aadvark's Performance Garage? Is that the picnic table there at the rest stop on Hwy 601?

Good recap. Pretty much covers the whole weekend.

Speaking of the wind and chapped lips. On the way back to the hotel from the track my son mentioned that he needed to buy some Chapstick for his chapped lips. I told him that I learned as a kid how to keep from getting chapped lips. I told him my grandmother would get a fingerful of chickenshlt and wipe it on our lips. He asked how in the world did that would keep my lips from getting chapped? I said I didn't dare lick my lips when they had chickeshlt all over them so they never got chapped.

He looked at me with a "you expect me to believe that" look.

Last edited by Falcon; 03-08-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes represented well at CMP with the Porsches....

Quick Reply: Corvettes represented well at CMP with the Porsches....