Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Trackers with brand name headers, please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Open Trackers with brand name headers, please chime in.

I was talking a vendor who appeared very knowledgeable regarding Vettes and he claimed all "big name" headers are too thin and you can expect them to crack after a year of use at HPDE events. He likened the header to a replaceable part like pads and said he's determined this from personal experience of selling headers and working on customer's cars.

I'm in the market for some LT's and this is discouraging info at best.

But I have no first hand experience with this so I'm hoping to get honest answers.

Thx,
Phil

Last edited by GreekPT; 03-05-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Content change
Old 03-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I've had kooks 1 3/4ths long tubes with cats in since January '04 w/o issue.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have LG PROs without any issues. LG actually race their headers.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I had the original type LG Longtubes (built before the Borla "Pro" construction) - the right and left both leaked at the collector after about 18 months of use. Street use only. FWIW.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LG custom LT's as well, since Dec '02. About 9k street miles and about 13k track miles (and, a whole bunch of offs, to boot!) . . . not a single issue.

I think a bunch of it counts as 'YMMV', but for the most part you can get an idea of how things are going to hold together just by looking at the materials. doesn't save you from a bad weld now and then . . . . but that's a different story

Last edited by emf; 03-05-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: heh, whoops . . I can't add
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm personally unaware of any C5 LT header failures after 5 yrs of doing track events and autox's. I'm sure they occur but I don't think they're as common as your source said. I used a set of TPIS headers for 4 yrs of hard track and street use and they held together fine. TPIS is one of the less expensive headers available and made of mild steel not stainless like LGs or Kooks. With the occasional exception, I would expect the 'big name' headers to be fine for years of HPDEs.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GreekPT
I was talking a vendor who appeared very knowledgeable regarding Vettes and he claimed all "big name" headers are too thin and you can expect them to crack after a year of use at HPDE events.
Phil
Phil

Sounds like some one is trying to sell you a bill of goods.

Get the better names and their top model.

I have run 2" TPIS ceramic coated mild steal headers for three years now. almost exclusivly on the track with no issues what so ever.

There are many very good names. Some slightly better at RR and others for DR. but it is not by much.

Top names in no particular order

Borla
LG ( Special Made by Borla for LG )
TPIS
Corsa - Corsa makes more Road Racing headers then all the others combine. almost all the LSx engines in Grand Am run Corsa and the C5r and C6R run Corsa. no not off the shelve but custom made.
Kooks for drag racing, hands down and v. good for DEs

If you looking at spending 500 vs 1000 -1500. Send the higher amount for the better header. $500 headers only have the name of the better Big brother, not the quality.

Now if you have a mandle bending machine and like to bend a little tubing make your own.

now mufflers are a different story all togther.

For an exhaust system you want the fewest bends and smoothes flow charicteristics as possible. 1 7/8" or 2" into a 3" collector, a smooth X pipe )( vs X and no H pipes and 3" tubing out. Lowers the back pressure and gives a pony or 3 more.

also dont forget to tune the car. You cant expect differences when just bolting on things. Dyno tune get the most out of your bolt ons.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-06-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Coated StainlessWorks 1¾" Long-tube headers on our C5R-427 for 4 years. Had a minor leak at a weld after three years...fixed for free.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

I've had TPIS headers on my car for the past 3 years and do 3 or 4 HPDE events on them per year plus some autocrossing too. I've not had any problems with my headers thus far. I know of other people at these events that are running headers as well and I've not heard of any one cracking a header.

- Mark
Old 03-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sully C5
Coated StainlessWorks 1¾" Long-tube headers on our C5R-427 for 4 years. Had a minor leak at a weld after three years...fixed for free.
4 years with stainless works 1 3/4" long tubes here, NO leaks. just got my car back from a shop in lauderdale that works on grand am and world challenge cars almost exclusively and got many compliments on quality.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

air tube broke on my LGM's I had to get it re-welded after removing.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Kooks heat treated in and out.
Huge difference to temps as I can almost touch my header after a run.

No issues but little power gain from full exhaust change (15rwhp).

Save and do with cam at a minimal is my advice.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

I have had the same set of Mellrose headers on my car thru 2 engines and and 2 sets of body panels with no problems. Usualy if something can be broke I will break it.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DALE C
I have had the same set of Mellrose headers on my car thru 2 engines and and 2 sets of body panels with no problems. Usualy if something can be broke I will break it.
Not only has that particular set of headers survived body panel damage and tow engines , they also survived a particular ASP car for some time. I do know of one set of Melrose's that had an air pump tube break off on a race car, but that was an isolated incident and that car shouldn't have had air pump tubes in the first place. Melrose was notified by myself of that incident and they immediately changed the air pumptube design. Melroses are a GREAT header for the money, and make really good #'s (amoung the best).

The only headers I have seen problems with are the TPIS headers . They are the lightest wieght of the bunch , and are made of the lightest (thinnest) material. Air pump tubes and the welded on brackets for the bellhousing are the first things to break. If I still ran the TPIS's I would not attach them to the bellhousing . When the exhaust expands the brackets are "stressed" which casues them to break off.

For the most part , I think all of the manufacturers build their headers pretty well and should not fall apart ( and I have seen alot of headers). For a roadrace car I would certianly have the headers coated FWIW. Coated headers are easier on everything including the driver and coatings actually make a little more power.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've installed 4 set's of the Melrose headers, all on track cars. That was last year and after looking over 2 of the sets the coating is holding up good and they still look great. Plus they are now a forum vendor
www.melroseheaders.com
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ But the melrose headers aren't stainless.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:15 AM
melrose
Collections Ban

Location: Name calling begins in the absence of fact and reason

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ But the melrose headers aren't stainless.
Why do you want stainless?

Get notified of new replies

To Open Trackers with brand name headers, please chime in.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

who wants to look at rust? Coatings are fine till they get scraped or nicked.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by melrose
Why do you want stainless?
Stainless headers don't rust or corrode or break down. Mild steel headers will over time.

I'm not running a race car so I can't afford to just swap pipes if they wear out. I want something that'll last "Forever"
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Melroses are not currently built of stainless, but they do come coated (JET HOT) and they do cost less than the stainless headers. Stainless is a better material to use , but on any race or tracktime car it is important for the headers to be coated because this saves all of your wiring , underhood temperatures and clutch hydraulics. Not to mention how hot the floor board on your car gets ...

With that said , we use Melrose headers alot. Have them on race cars, and street cars and even ones that are driven in the winter and have not seen the JET HOT coating come off of one yet. Melrose headers dollar for dollar are about as good as it is going to get.

Quick Reply: Open Trackers with brand name headers, please chime in.