Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need information on pour foam for custom seat insert.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:52 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need information on pour foam for custom seat insert.

I bought the pour foam kit, two part, but it has no instructions! I have a fiberglass seat and it is too big. How do you use this foam to make an insert?

I think I recall something about pouring it in a garbage bag and sitting on it in the seat … seems like this would not work .. or be a heck of a mess.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
mathia
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to work at a race shop (Formula Mazda factory) and all the cars had pour foam seats. It's a two person job, but basically you do just have someone pour the two parts into a garbage bag while your sitting with the bag between you and the seat.

As the chemicals turn to foam they expand quite quickly, the pereson pouring also has to take up the slack in the bag. There was one guy at the shop who did all the seats, and I think experience helps. But the foam is pretty cheap so you could just make a few till you get it right. After it hardens you can then trim the edges and make it look pretty.

Last edited by mathia; 03-06-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:47 AM
rbl
Drifting

Thanks for the info
Old 03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mathia
I used to work at a race shop (Formula Mazda factory) and all the cars had pour foam seats. It's a two person job, but basically you do just have someone pour the two parts into a garbage bag while your sitting with the bag between you and the seat.

As the chemicals turn to foam they expand quite quickly, the pereson pouring also has to take up the slack in the bag. There was one guy at the shop who did all the seats, and I think experience helps. But the foam is pretty cheap so you could just make a few till you get it right. After it hardens you can then trim the edges and make it look pretty.
mathia is spot on. Just make sure that you are sitting in the driving position that you want to use for high speed fun!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
I bought the pour foam kit, two part, but it has no instructions! I have a fiberglass seat and it is too big. How do you use this foam to make an insert?

I think I recall something about pouring it in a garbage bag and sitting on it in the seat … seems like this would not work .. or be a heck of a mess.

Thanks
So, how many garbage bags did you go through????
Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
So, how many garbage bags did you go through????

None so far, I forgot to put it in the seat and now I can't get Debbie out of it - stuck big time ...

Last edited by rbl; 03-07-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need information on pour foam for custom seat insert.

Quick Reply: Need information on pour foam for custom seat insert.