Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

simple ? re: c6

Old 03-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default simple ? re: c6

I am looking at a C6 possibly...do the c5 z06 wheels fit on the c6?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes. After the other rad post I knew you were heading this way.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
yes. After the other rad post I knew you were heading this way.
hehe, yea, I get bored easily with cars and I am looking for a change. I am surprised I have had the z for over 2 years now! I almost traded my car in on a porsche this week, but the guy turned out to be a dink, so no deal.

So, I either a C6...or maybe I need Lou to take my car and put a nice big cam in it for me

Oh, and I am highly considering spec miata...i want to race door to door and T1 is not in my budget
Old 03-04-2006, 09:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

even the old 18" wagon wheels will fit a Z51. I haven't tried the 17", but the 18's will definitely fit.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
hehe, yea, I get bored easily with cars and I am looking for a change. I am surprised I have had the z for over 2 years now! I almost traded my car in on a porsche this week, but the guy turned out to be a dink, so no deal.

So, I either a C6...or maybe I need Lou to take my car and put a nice big cam in it for me

Oh, and I am highly considering spec miata...i want to race door to door and T1 is not in my budget

Check out BuckeyeZ06's T1 for sale. Except for initial cost of the car (and even that can be comparable) per race costs for the Specmiata and the T1 Corvette are pretty close.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 PM
seege
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fcarga
Check out BuckeyeZ06's T1 for sale. Except for initial cost of the car (and even that can be comparable) per race costs for the Specmiata and the T1 Corvette are pretty close.

Sorry but they're not even close. I have a friend who runs both classes and he doesn't need new tires more than a few times a year to be a frontish runner in Spec Miata... let alone a new set per race like most T1 racers. Brakes and hubs etc wear pretty quickly and will add a surprising amount to a weekends tab. Davids car is plenty fast and well maintained and I would love to see him sell it to someone else to come T1 racing. Just don't expect to run it much on a SM budget.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Yup - consumables are $$$$$ for T1...just a set of tires are 1/3 the cost for spec miata...parts are cheaper too, plus I would feel way worse about "denting" a t1 car then a 15 year old miata!

getting back to the original post...does anyone know for sure if the 17" wheel fits on a z51 c6? I know the rotors are different for the z51, but the calipers are the same? right? Same pad shape too, right?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
Yup - consumables are $$$$$ for T1...just a set of tires are 1/3 the cost for spec miata...parts are cheaper too, plus I would feel way worse about "denting" a t1 car then a 15 year old miata!

getting back to the original post...does anyone know for sure if the 17" wheel fits on a z51 c6? I know the rotors are different for the z51, but the calipers are the same? right? Same pad shape too, right?
The calipers are the same and take the same pad. I have the Z-51 on mine and bought C5 caliper brackets so I can run C5 (cheaper) rotors. I run the 18" Z06 wheel all the way around but I imagine the 17 would fit over the C5 brakes.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

do you have to change the brackets on the front and rear? or just front?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:19 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Originally Posted by seege
Sorry but they're not even close. I have a friend who runs both classes and he doesn't need new tires more than a few times a year to be a frontish runner in Spec Miata... let alone a new set per race like most T1 racers. Brakes and hubs etc wear pretty quickly and will add a surprising amount to a weekends tab. Davids car is plenty fast and well maintained and I would love to see him sell it to someone else to come T1 racing. Just don't expect to run it much on a SM budget.

I run SM. A "new SM" front runner can start in the mid 30's and up. Tires are cheaper but a front runner will use a set per race. Rotors are more expensive, pads are cheaper. Parts, probably close depending on suppliers. Bodywork is cheaper, if you need it! Fuel/oil/expendables are only slightly cheaper. Entry fees, travel, lodging and food can be the same. My point was-and David and I discussed this in emails-is that, depending on your initial purchase choice and driving level skill, the per race costs are pretty close to the same or within 10-15%.

If David's car had been available before I bought the SM, I would have jumped on David's car. Knowing what I now know about SCCA/NASA etc and NOT being a front runner, there is not that much disparity in cost except in your initial purchase choice and that has narrowed considerably in the last 2 years.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

T1 racing runs $3 to $5 large PER race.

travel, motel and food for 2 ppl
two full sets of new tires.
change all fluids
new brake pads and rotors
entry fees
fuel for car( 100 octane) and tow vehical
Old 03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Average cost per race last year for SM was a little below 3K. It can be done cheaper as can T1 if you do your own work on and off track, but I--not knowing what I'm doing--figured it was safer and more effective to have car maintained, taken to/from the track and have track side service after watching guys miss practice/qualifying/races trying to do their own work. Wish I could do that and may be able to someday, but learning at the track if you don't have to is not the way to do it IMHO.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

beer budget here...i think it can be done for way less then 3k a race (SM that is)...im an engineer, so i have somewhat of a clue...at least i tell myself that in any case, working on the car is part of the hobby and what i would enjoy...

BUT, in anycase, can someone please answer my ? re: the 17 incher c5 z wheels fitting over the z51 c6 brakes?? SM or no SM, i still want to enjoy a vette for HPDEs! I love the c5 z, but i really like the new c6 body style, plus, the targa top is always a plus for street use!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

on top of the 17'' c5 z wheels on a z51 c6....I have another question for the C6 folk....can someone please measure the distances between the seat mounts? The mensa people at Corbeau responded with a "the c5 mounts 'should' work on the newer vettes''
Old 03-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ haha you and I think alike. I've been looking very closely for a white/red C6 Z-51. But in reality my car is close to being paid for and it's got lots of nice mods, and it's my first Corvette. I'd rather have it paid for than having the "new" thing.

However for the street (which is where I drive the car the most) the targa top and the DVD nav xm etc would be awesome.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ haha you and I think alike. I've been looking very closely for a white/red C6 Z-51. But in reality my car is close to being paid for and it's got lots of nice mods, and it's my first Corvette. I'd rather have it paid for than having the "new" thing.

However for the street (which is where I drive the car the most) the targa top and the DVD nav xm etc would be awesome.
Yea...i just love the look of the new body style...im torn, i love my car, but I think its time for a change...plus, by trading mine in, my payments will turn out to be less per month
Old 03-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

How the hell will they be less?

Get notified of new replies

To simple ? re: c6

Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Oh and if you do trade it in and take the stuff out I'll buy the rad/oil cooler setup from you and the driver's corbeau seat.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

How the hell will they be less?
bc what i owe on the car and the trade value put down on this one turns out to be less per month not by much, but at least its less
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Oh and if you do trade it in and take the stuff out I'll buy the rad/oil cooler setup from you and the driver's corbeau seat.
Cass has first dibs on the combo unit...yup, he kept his car!! but you are 2nd in line.

as for the seat, according to corbeau "the mount will fit the c6"...i have yet to see if that statement is true....waiting on someone on here to measure the distance between the studs...time will tell

on top of that, i have to first get the car! HA. As of last week, i was 2 seconds away from buying a porsche, so who knows what will happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: simple ? re: c6