Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4: Rear axle ratio

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default C4: Rear axle ratio

I still have the factory 3.45 rear end.

I'd like to look into getting a different rear end, but don't want to drastically affect the top speed of 2nd gear as I am an Auto-xer. No 4:11 drag race stuff...

What experiences can others share with what they have. I am interested in the acceleration different and the top MPH in each gear compared to the factory rear.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

I have a 3.73 in my LT4. I changed to it mostly because of the aluminum flywheel to help drivability at lower speeds. Also helps to make 6th more usable since my car is dual-purpose.

For sharper corners I'm still in 2nd, just wind the motor out a bit more (which works well with an LT4). I don't autocross, but since the turns are generally pretty tight, it may actually help you since you'll be a little more into the powerband.

I put together a spreadsheet that has shift points for each gear and speed for all three rear ratios. I'll e-mail it to you. You can play with the shift points and see what affect the different ratios will have on top speed in gear.

-Mark
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Just realized the e-mail and PM options here don't allow attachments. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the file if you're interested.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:33 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

To stay in BSP (which I think you mentioned in your post about 335's) you have to stick with the factory option gear selection. Otherwise you're into SM2, which maybe isn't an issue for you.

In any case,

mph=(engine rpm * tire dia")/(trans * axle * 336)

Get notified of new replies

To C4: Rear axle ratio

Quick Reply: C4: Rear axle ratio