Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much steering wheel play is normal? Anyone wear their steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default How much steering wheel play is normal? Anyone wear their steering rack?

Just curious what's normal free play in a C5... When I'm parked with the car on I can see the front wheel/tire move with almost the slightest movement of the steering wheel... if I jiggle/rotate it back and forth very quickly only moving my hands (at 9 and 3) maybe 1/4" if that makes sense.

With the car off but the colum unlocked I can jiggle/rotate the wheel a little more before I see movement in the wheel/tire... when going down the highway at 70 I can do it too and the car will wiggle a little but otherwise stay traight.

I have new VB&P front and rear rod ends that have been on since last spring w/ only one track event on them. I know my front hubs/bearings have a little play in them and I'm chaniging those.

My concern is that the steering rack might have some free play in it. The car has a very small dead spot right in the center fo the steering, but I keep hearing this is common with the C5's. I'm just worried that I'm not getting the full performance out of the car.

The thing is that the car has 55k on it with 6 hpde weekends and about 10 auto-xes... I know there's people with far more use on their cars and I've never heard anything about steering rack problems.

Shoudl the car respond to the slightest movement of the steering wheel? Or am I expecting too much?

Oh and the steering shaft is tightened and has no play in it.\

Thanks,
Brian
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

ttt, anyone ever have any issue wearing out the steering rack on a C5?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced my whole rack and pinion, but I think that had more to do with the folks who replaced my engine and screwed it up more than it being worn out.

Generally speaking, if the rack and pinion is not leaking, then you're OK. My 01 still has very good steering input and doesn't seem to be loose. Keep an eye on the power steering pump though. If you run high rpms consistently, it can wear out and cause some 'funky' feelings in the steering.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

No issues... no bad noises or leaking. I periodically suck out the fluid with a turkey baster and re-fill with redline synthetic PS fluid.

Is the PS pump supposed to be silent? The car doesn't moan or make excessive noise, but when turning the wheel with the car parked you can hear it working.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I've always been able to hear mine.

The driver is the one who moans and makes excessive noises though. he he
Old 03-02-2006, 05:57 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My 99 FRC with 35k on it had some play in it. I took off the drivers side boot and when wiggling the wheel back and forth you can see the rack go up and down instead of just in and out. Replaced it with a rebuilt GM rack. They don't have new one's anymore. This one lasted about 500 miles. Samething happened. They are going to warranty it, but I have to pay again to have someone install it. This car has about 20 tracks days and 20 autocross events.

Steve
Old 03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone make an aftermarket rack?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

my old race car worked great (little play, clean fluid) until it's approx 29th race. End of the first lap, coming down the hill at Rd Atlanta, boom, no steering. I though I had lost a tire, but the power steering went away. Went on to have a decent finish, but boy was I tired.

Anyway, I had to replace rack and pump. Don't know which cause which, but they went out together.

Bottom line, in my experience, they hold tight til' the end.

btw, make sure the clamp where the rod goes onto the rack is tight. It is a compression clamp, and if it is a little loose, you will get some play (foudn this out the hard way). Crank that sucker down tight!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, you are like a vette hypochondriac!

Tim
Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I know I've had some bad luck with the car so I get kind of obsessive on maintenance and track prep. **** you were there when I snapped that brake line and ruined 1/2 of the Viper Days event for myself.

FWIW I know the car doesn't feel "right", it's vague and sloppy at turn-in... not firm and confidence inspring. On sunday Subdriver and I are going to install my new hub/bearings and crank the heck out of the steering shaft nut.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ I know I've had some bad luck with the car so I get kind of obsessive on maintenance and track prep. **** you were there when I snapped that brake line and ruined 1/2 of the Viper Days event for myself.

FWIW I know the car doesn't feel "right", it's vague and sloppy at turn-in... not firm and confidence inspring. On sunday Subdriver and I are going to install my new hub/bearings and crank the heck out of the steering shaft nut.
Say "Hi" to Brad for me.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Well today Brad and I hung out and swapped my front hubs/earings and checked out the front suspension and steering rack. Compared to his car the rack is fine and the steering joint is tight. The hubs/bearings had play and have 55k on them. The new ones went on pretty easily, but we did have to disconnect the swaybar endlink and the lower shock bolts, then whacking it with a hammer on wood block didn't work, but luckily there was a ball joint splitter available which made the job easy.

We did the work, with me doing most of the wrenching and Brad assisting with advice and tools in about 3 hours. I could do it again in 1/2 that.

The Timken hubs look exactly like OEM and all went together w/o issue.

The car does feel tighter and more responsive.

Oh and T1 corvette race cars are awesome.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 03-05-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:20 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Brian, most of the time when the racks fail, you get bypass on the seals and they start to feel funny in the corners, basically a loose/tight feeling in the middle of long sweepers, which is the result of loosing pressure.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:35 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Brian FWIW, I started to have some play in my steering wheel probably about 1/4" each side. I checked the bolt on the steering shaft, I think its a 13mm bolt and tighten the heck out of it and no play since then. I dont know the torque spec on the bolt though but I tighten it as much as I could and no play since. Check your steering shaft nut. You will be surprised

Get notified of new replies

To How much steering wheel play is normal? Anyone wear their steering rack?

Quick Reply: How much steering wheel play is normal? Anyone wear their steering rack?