Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas to temporarily reduce exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas to temporarily reduce exhaust noise

I've got long tubes, x-pipes, no cats and Borla quad stingers on my '02 Z06 which is now just a dedicated track car. While the sound does not seem all that loud to me(probably lost my hearing to the car), the good old sound meter at Laguna Seca the last trip there said I was at 102db going up the hill between T5-6! Most days there are limited to 92. Short of changing out the Stingers does anyone know of baffles etc. that could be temporarily put in the tips or getting more drastic would you think that cutting off the tips and welding on 90degree ones pointed towards the ground and the driver would make enough of a difference to keep the County of Monterey happy? The meter is on the right about 60' off the track as you pass by. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 05:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf Dog
The meter is on the right about 60' off the track as you pass by. Thanks!
Ease off the gas as you go by the meter.

Not uncommon, many tracks have sound limits now.

I saw a TCC vette and the end of the tail pipes where angled down to the ground.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:51 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

You would be surprised how much turning the tips down decreases noise at the sound meter. Also for our TCC C4 cars we put a turn down but dont weld it on, use a strap clamp. That way you can turn them away from the meter if you need to. If you want more to keep it quiet there are baffles for the collectors on your headers. Most race shops. HRP, Pegasus, port city etc will heve these. They go into the collector and reduce decibles, they claim without taking power.
MAC
Old 03-01-2006, 07:56 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Put the awesome factory Ti exhaust back on. They make abt the same power as aftermarket on relatively stock cars--really...
Old 03-01-2006, 08:34 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Put the awesome factory Ti exhaust back on. They make abt the same power as aftermarket on relatively stock cars--really...
IIRC, a stock Z06 w/Ti exhaust will also break the 92db limit if you go up the hill at WOT. You have to short shift going up the hill to stay below the limits.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

turn downs definite help, and you could use some of these

http://www.behrents.com/Merchant2/4....nsert-mufflers
Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Tom, I did try easing off the gas and shortshifting last time...its just not a good place on the track to do that. Turn 5 is a nice turn to set up for the climb and all you want to do is just stomp on the gas all the way to the top. But if thats the way its going to be...ack. David, thanks for the link for the insert.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:56 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Will that insert fit into the stock Z06 tips ?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Meeeting sound at Laguna Seca is not easy. My ITE C4 got busted at Thunderhill for 105 db at the entrance to the straight during drivers school with straight pipes. I have no idea how loud it was at the entrance to turn 1. To meet the sound limit at Laguna Seca I modified my exhaust to incorporate flanges on the exhaust pipes behind the rear axle. Normally I'd bolt on straight pipes. At laguna Seca, I'd bolt on flowmasters. I had bolt on flanges at the exit of the flowmasters. If there was no cloud cover I'd bolt on turn downs from the Flowmasters that aimed down and towards to the inside of turn 5. If there was cloud cover, I had Supertrap muffleers I would bolt to the exit of the Flowmasters. I had like 30 plates in the Flowmasters so I could pull some out if I still couldn't meet sound. It also helped with the SCCA rules because if flagged, pulling plates was a mod to allow you to get back on track.

Laguna was a dice roll. You had to read the weather. If I didn't think I could make sound in ITE running in the a.m., I would run SP which ran at mid day and had a higher limit.

Larry
Old 03-28-2006, 03:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem at LRP...what a PITA. I have never been to Leguna, but isn't it out in the middle of a desert or something? At least the NASCAR track that I am forced to frequent has no such sound limit.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I had a similar problem at LRP...what a PITA. I have never been to Leguna, but isn't it out in the middle of a desert or something? At least the NASCAR track that I am forced to frequent has no such sound limit.
Laguna Seca is located near the Monterey peninsula (Pebble Beach, Carmel, etc.). Willow Springs is located in the desert near Edwards AFB.

Get notified of new replies

To Need ideas to temporarily reduce exhaust noise

Quick Reply: Need ideas to temporarily reduce exhaust noise