Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Camber

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Help with Camber

Ok another learning curve I need to catch up on.

I have no idea what camber is or how much I should run.

Right now I have 2 sets of wheels and tires and I am guessing that each set will have a different camber requirement.

First set are 17 inch - 275s upfront and 315s in the rear Advan 032R. These are going to be used for the first few runs this year and then I am probably switching to the Hoosier R3S03.

The 2nd set of tires are 18in - 290s up front and 315s in the rear - Pilot Sport Cups. These are going to be more of a rain tire (plus I use these on the street).

So the question is can there be a happy camber spec for both of these tires combinations?

I do not need anything aggressive right now I just want to make sure I get some more benefit out of the tires.

Any web pages that explains all this stuff would be aprreciated.

thanks

Bob
Old 03-01-2006, 10:00 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you plan on driving it on the street too, then you're looking for a compromise...which is tough in this game. You won't get the best performance/wear either on the street or on track. However, you can get some good results with some mild numbers.

Somewhere around -1.5 on the front and about -.75 on back is a good start for a 'hybrid' car. You'll have to adjust from there. Set the toe out just a touch in front and in about the same amount in back and adjust from there.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are a couple of links that should give you a start.

A Short Course on Wheel Alignment

Camber Tech

It isn't clear at first glance from your post or profile but I think you
have a C5. I'm not familiar with the preferred specs for these so I'd
recommend using the advanced search on this AutoX section of the
forum to find threads on alignment. There are lots so be sure to tick
off the 'Archives' box on the search page.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a song that I heard once. "Tires are the thing that make contact with the road" It wasn't a good song but my version goes like this. "Camber is the thing that makes race tires stick to the track". Like others have said, your are going to have some compromise for a track-street car.

Randy
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
There is a song that I heard once. "Tires are the thing that make contact with the road" It wasn't a good song but my version goes like this. "Camber is the thing that makes race tires stick to the track". Like others have said, your are going to have some compromise for a track-street car.

Randy
yeah I realize there is some compromise which I don't mind. I am still just a novice so as I grow with the sport then maybe the compromise will go away, but for now I have to deal with it.

I also don't want to make too many changes throughout this year. I need to get a good baseline so then when I make changes I can see if they made a postivie or negative impact.

I figure I will be testing different brake pads and tires this year (which is just nature of the sport). Between that and learning how to drive fast and steady I think I have enough on my plate so I am not worrying about changing my camber each time out. figure a base line camber adjustment will help and then next year we will see what happens.

Thanks.

BTW - yes it is a C5 coupe with Z06 sways and shocks.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Well if you plan on driving it on the street too, then you're looking for a compromise...which is tough in this game. You won't get the best performance/wear either on the street or on track. However, you can get some good results with some mild numbers.

Somewhere around -1.5 on the front and about -.75 on back is a good start for a 'hybrid' car. You'll have to adjust from there. Set the toe out just a touch in front and in about the same amount in back and adjust from there.

sounds like a good starting point.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the -1.5/-.75 would be a good starting point. The Hoosiers are going to want more and you can get away with going to -2.0f/-1.2r range...that's what I run on my daily driver/autocross car, with no ill effects. The reason I can get away with more camber is because I run effective zero toe in the front and not too much in the rear (right at 1/4" toe in). As has been said many times, large toe angles are the KILLER of tires. Also, the C5 just doesn't need toe out in front to turn in well, in my opinion...others will disagree, but given the negative effect on tire wear, I'd see if I was happy with minimal toe angles before I went down that path, if I was you.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Camber

Quick Reply: Help with Camber