Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MagnaCharger for Autox?

Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MagnaCharger for Autox?

I'm looking to campaign a C5 Z06 in SM2 this summer, not Topeka serious but enough to fight for FTD in my region. I'm not looking for high-end hp so I figured the Maggie would be a better F/I, especially with the lack of lag.

My concerns are heat and response.
1. Would the intercooler be able to do its job well enough in the summer months...perhaps an intercooler-sprayer is required?
2. Is the Maggie overkill?

Overall, any opinions on the Maggie for autoxing?

Thanks for your help,
ace
Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Work on grip and handling first, a Z already has more than enough power if you are not "Topeka serious"....

Suspension, wheels and tires are more important and if you can get the car going around corners like it is on a teather you likely will kick tail in any regional event.... Most of the time, a good driver in an SS Z will be FTD in any of the street tire classes at regional events...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:25 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by Solofast
Work on grip and handling first, a Z already has more than enough power if you are not "Topeka serious"....

Suspension, wheels and tires are more important and if you can get the car going around corners like it is on a teather you likely will kick tail in any regional event.... Most of the time, a good driver in an SS Z will be FTD in any of the street tire classes at regional events...
Absolutely, I totally agree. After 6 years of dodging cones and 2 NYregion CSP titles in an MRSpyder(a few FTDs, too), I've learned to make the most of the cornering...the MR2's 120hp didn't give me a crutch, so I'm not concerned with squeezing the potential out of a chassis.

The reason I ask the thread's question is that I have a car to look at, and it has a maggie. I didn't bargain on finding such a car, but since it's already on the car.....

I'd prefer having a torquer cam'd Z, thereby keeping the weight down...but again...its already on the car, and I can't really argue with the 100hp gain.

That's my problem...I should have these problems always
Old 02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Problem is that unless the vehicle is under 5.0 liters with pushrods the car goes straight to EM ( ouch !!! ) Read the online rules at SCCA.com . Find yourself a heads and cam Z06 instead of the maggie. I think you will be happier anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble...................
Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 AM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Problem is that unless the vehicle is under 5.0 liters with pushrods the car goes straight to EM ( ouch !!! ) Read the online rules at SCCA.com . Find yourself a heads and cam Z06 instead of the maggie. I think you will be happier anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble...................
No bubble bursting...no worries

So EM?....I don't think there are any EM runners in my region, so I'll be forced to battle for FTD (which is what I want anyway... ). I figure a T1 bar set and some fat stickies will help with the added front-end weight, but what about spring?
Any thoughts about the handling quirks of a Maggied Z?

Thanks for all your ideas/suggestions,
ace
Old 03-01-2006, 07:22 AM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Actually, I think you can run a supercharged Z06 in SM2 under group IV of the weight limits that includes "Over-displacement SM vehicles" and "All types/displacements" of SM2 vehicles.

After driving an underpowered MR2, be prepared to learn how to drive all over again........

Bob
Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Ace,

Well, if you're going to go ahead and buy this one, then I don't think we're going to be able to talk you out of it.

OTOH, I'd stay away from a FI for any autocross or track car, mainly from a heat standpoint. Not only do you have the induction heating, but before I put on my oil cooler I was seeing oil temps in the 280s, at which point I'd do something to cool her back down (a slow lap or 2, or idle out the driveway to the autocross lot between runs). FI is just going to aggravate that situation.

Plus, as others have mentioned, you'll enough problems just trying to get the stock power down, especially in an autocross.

But, as I said earlier, if you're going to get it, have fun! (oh, and get an extra cooler or three!).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned and autocrossed two supercharged C4s. Both used the ATi 600b system. And I had fuel / air managment problems so bad I swore off boost for autocrossing.

Now perhaps the magna charger is different. If it is then great. Despite what others may think, I feel the C5 could use more power. I know I could make use of more power.

The blower motors are good in that they don't hit immediately, but then again they are bad because of this. The car must have enough Umph on the low end to allow you to blip the throttle for car placement and such.

Also, heat is going to be an issue. The intercooler won't get much flow. Especially when you consider the candi ars ways of some of the approved courses the scca is running for solo II events. Get used to opening your hood after every run. And perhaps an external cooling kit would help.

It's also going to be harder on the motor to bounce on the rev limiter.

I have witnessed guys that are very fast with blower motors. But the one I saw was close to 1000 HP. This guy took off in second gear, and didn't shift at all throughout the entire course.

The WOW factor will be HUGE running a ZO6 with a magna charger. Think of how cool that sound will be.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
Actually, I think you can run a supercharged Z06 in SM2 under group IV of the weight limits that includes "Over-displacement SM vehicles" and "All types/displacements" of SM2 vehicles.

After driving an underpowered MR2, be prepared to learn how to drive all over again........

Bob
You are on the SMAC, so I guess you would know. I referred to the rules last night, before I answered because I thought the F/I limit was 4.0 L. I was suprised to see the 5.0 L limit. The "catch-all" looks pretty gray to me, but after another view I can read into what you said.

FWIW, I dont think a F/I Corvette is what you want for SM2. Add alot more wieght and have unusable power seems like a double negative to me.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is my opinion. Handling, and braking are most important to fast times. But power is good too. The Maggie supercharger puts out a ton of low end power. The intercooler is a water to air setup, which will get heat soaked by the end of the run. Adds some weight to the front of the car, which isn't good, but the power makes up for that. The cool factor is up there, but I don't think it is national level stuff. But if you are just having fun, then boost away!!!

Randy
Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Besides, if you use it on the street you will have that "extra margin of highway passing safety"!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
ace996
Pro

Good replies, guys. I really appreciate the insight, as this is unchartered waters for me.
My issue is, I have an appointment today to see this car today....and I'm trying my best to not get too excited. My search for Zs in NY has turned up a 2002 Maggied Z with very few miles...and the price is on line with a non-maggied Z. I just drove my friend's Maggied CTS-V last night (I also have a V) and that doesn't help matters either.....the whine is intoxicating.

So it appears that my thoughts of heat-management will/could be an issue. OK, what about an intercooler sprayer? No gas, just an external water spray like the STI/Evos have? And would there be anything stopping me from mounting a couple of small fans to help?

I'm not dead set on getting the car but it's hard to walk away from such a special piece...especially at the price. My choices are down to this maggied Z06 or a new STI/Evo. The STEvo would be much more practical for my family life, but it's no Z...and certainly no Maggied Z.

See my problem?....like I said before, I should be so lucky to have these problems all my life.

I know I'd be more than happy with a stock Z, but there's the "M" factor...the Maggie...to me that turns this car into somewhat of a supercar, a dream car...I'd never be able to do it on my own....

Decisions...Decisions....

A thousand thanks,
ace
Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

You are on the SMAC, so I guess you would know. I referred to the rules last night, before I answered because I thought the F/I limit was 4.0 L. I was suprised to see the 5.0 L limit. The "catch-all" looks pretty gray to me, but after another view I can read into what you said.

FWIW, I dont think a F/I Corvette is what you want for SM2. Add alot more wieght and have unusable power seems like a double negative to me.

If anything build a stroker motor.

BTW Body kits are allowed in SM2, so you can vent the hood etc.
If you wanted to show up with something like this you could

Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
ace996
Pro

I saw the car today. I drove the car today. I fell in love today. She will be mine....she will be mine.

So the heat is the real enemy...I'll need to address that before it becomes an issue.

Fans behind the intercooler or intercooler sprayer? or both???

I may need an EOC radiator...but I'll see what happens first.

If all goes well, she'll be in my garage in under 30 days. Then it'll get interesting....

Thanks,
ace

Get notified of new replies

To MagnaCharger for Autox?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MagnaCharger for Autox?