Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride height/ shock question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:28 AM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Ride height/ shock question

I just upgraded my shocks from my worn out Z51 shocks to Penske non adjustable ones. I thought due to having to jack the suspension up 3 inches to get the shocks to bolt up, the car would be lower. The car is now 1/2 inches higher. (The front springs have the bushings cut off, the rear is lowered as far as it can be on the factory bolts.)The shocks are the lowered version with the nitrogen valve. I believe the shocks now have 140 psi of nitrogen in them. Do I need to lower the psi or get flatter springs to get the car back to the height it was before the install?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
FRC#44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NV MY C5
I just upgraded my shocks from my worn out Z51 shocks to Penske non adjustable ones. I thought due to having to jack the suspension up 3 inches to get the shocks to bolt up, the car would be lower. The car is now 1/2 inches higher. (The front springs have the bushings cut off, the rear is lowered as far as it can be on the factory bolts.)The shocks are the lowered version with the nitrogen valve. I believe the shocks now have 140 psi of nitrogen in them. Do I need to lower the psi or get flatter springs to get the car back to the height it was before the install?
I have the same penske shocks with z51 springs. The maximum height I can get is 27". It will lower practically to the ground. How low do you want the car?

Think they will settle a little after putting a few miles on it. Do you have 140lbs in each shock? Think fronts are supposed to be higher then backs (130 front, 80 rear?) but I would have to check. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

If by chance you really have the non lowered shock version, would you like to trade for mine? 10k miles, rears rebuilt last year.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
FRC#44
Racer

Looked up Mallett specs for lowered Penske shocks: 175lbs front; 125lbs rear. Ride height: 27 1/8" front; 27.5"-27.75" rear.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

all the pressure does is keep the fluid from cavitating. Pressure can make very small changes in damping, but they are VERY small from what I understand.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 PM
danswofford
Pro

I've got Penske shocks and you can put the car anywhere you want. Just buy longer rear bolts and cut the rubber completely off the front and screw it all the way out. It will be danged low. I raised mine back up to get it to handle right.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Originally Posted by danswofford
I raised mine back up to get it to handle right.

That's the consensus. Many of us lowered as much as the bolts will allow and ended up bringing the car back up, particulalry in front. Once you have the front working well, you can make small ride height adjustments in back to get to where you want to be, balance wise.

Get notified of new replies

To Ride height/ shock question

Quick Reply: Ride height/ shock question