Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Well I Tried It ..... Z2 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Well I Tried It ..... Z2 Pro

From a former Zaino user, that left the fold over two years ago and has not looked back, it was time to put the chin up and try Zaino's newest creation. (Doesnt hurt that it was an Xmas gift from wife). With a baby coming in March, she wants me to spend less time in the garage and more time in the nursery I suppose .....

First the detailing :

1. Wash With Four Star Car Wash

2. Polish/Clean the entire finish with Mequires DACP (last detailing was with Clay, Menzerna, UPP two weeks before Xmas)

3. Rewash Entire Car with Detailers Pride Car Wash (much stronger than Four Star and wanted to remove any fillers from DACP before using the Zaino) ***

4. ZFX and Pro --- Mixed up two ounces , shook the devil out of it until you could see no more blue, and went to town. Ended up putting two coats on the car and still had a little left.

My synopsis:

This Pro Z2 is still clearly Zaino, with a highly reflective finish that brings out the high metallic count in Quicksilver. It seems to have slightly muted the original plastic after look (good thing, no more saran wrap look) and the gloss factor is still present. (It clearly is NOT mistaken for a wax, as gloss appears very different than wetness of carnuba's). After sitting for a couple of hours it does look very clean not necessarily the "pop" that everyone offers up though. A nice clean and clear look from a sealant is what you get, and truthfully that is exactly what Zaino offers.

In contrast with the last sealant being used just before Zaino, let me tell you that Four Star UPP provides a slipperier finish, comes off as easy if not easier, and is also a breeze to put on. While UPP provided 6-7 weeks of protection prior to removal (it was still going strong when removed this morning) I doubt it will match Zaino. Now factor in the cost of UPP, the lack of mixing, and cleanup, and you really do have a good "other choice" for those that do not need the durability of Zaino. UPP looks a little glossier (probably contains some silicones) than Pro but muted the finish slightly which Zaino doesn't. I wonder if you had to just look at them both side to side, if you could pick the difference ??

Clearly mixed results ..... Zaino did infact take one of the biggest issues with Z2 and remove it , curing time, but still needs to go one step further and create a product without need for ZFX even in the beginning. While mixing is a minor hassle, the cleanup of the containers is dreaded. The little nocks and crannys around the opening do not cleanup easily with alcohol nor diswashing liquid. Between both an extra 10 minutes was needed to properly use and dispose of ZFX which is not a large area of time, but one that no other sealant requires.

I am sure that I will get 6 months of protection, should I choose to go that long with change. That said, I am thinking about a topper , but will see what changes with the addition of a coat of Z6 tomorrow morning. (Want to give it time to make sure all curing is completely done) . May also throw on a 3rd coat of Pro without any ZFX to see how the product works alone.

*** Noted above FILLERS in DACP --- if you did NOT believe it contained any, then guess again. When I washed the car after using it the water beaded up and looked like a just waxed beauty, after a quick wash with soap, the car beaded no further and looked like a rental car finish. With sealants being very finicky, I can see where anyone that fails to clean off DACP might have problems with sealant of choice adhering properly, and probably a big fall off in durability.

Ok ... ready for anything you can offer in the way of hints, highjacks, and even flames.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:19 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new bottle sitting here myself, looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the review.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
4. ZFX and Pro --- Mixed up two ounces , shook the devil out of it until you could see no more blue, and went to town. Ended up putting two coats on the car and still had a little left. .
If you used almost two ounces for two coats then you used about three times to much. Two ounces should do a Vette about six times. I assume you put it on your Vette as you didn't say what car you applied it on.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crusher
If you used almost two ounces for two coats then you used about three times to much. Two ounces should do a Vette about six times. I assume you put it on your Vette as you didn't say what car you applied it on.
Im sure that I washed away enough to do at least one more coat. It was on thin enough that the wife kept saying she could not see it. I also had the painted roof on versus the glass roof.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:22 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

I usually make up about 1 ounce of Z-2 with ZFX and it makes two coats easily with some left over.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:31 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

1/2 oz is even better to 2 drops of ZFX......That what I use and I still have some left over in the tube.......I do not totally agree with your review.....but to each their own......and use what they like most.....
Old 01-22-2005, 10:41 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DsC5
I have a new bottle sitting here myself, looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the review.

Do not base your opinion just on one review.....There are far more and better examples and testimonies that will refute this assessment. I am sure he did a good job and trying things out, I am not knocking that at all. Take it with grain of salt and like with others...try things out yourself. Mine below is just one of many ways to apply the greatest wax products you could use......I say that from my own experience from trying several different products......

This is what you should, just a suggestion. Yes, wash, clay, wash, dry, then use Z5. Put only 1/2 oz in the tube with only 2 drops of ZFX,,,if 3 happens to go in that is ok, but try to put only 2 drops. Shake for 90 seconds, and let stand. I would do this part prior to starting to wash.

Mixed a 1/2 oz tube of Z5 and Z2 with the ZFX then, with a 100% cotton cloth or applicator apply respectively according to the instructions. I know the instructions say about a dime size drop, but I learned to use even less than that,,,a few 4-5 tear drop size on several, but close to each other on the applicator. Apply it per the directions. I can do my entire vette in about 15 minutes and still have some left over in the tube. I usually do not put two coat on at any one time,,,I have found one coat of each gives me the best results. Spray with Z6 and wipe away and the pics below speaks for themself, but the vehicle looks even better in person.

Last edited by C5corvetteman; 01-22-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:20 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
Do not base your opinion just on one review.....There are far more and better examples and testimonies that will refute this assessment. I am sure he did a good job and trying things out, I am not knocking that at all. Take it with grain of salt and like with others...try things out yourself. Mine below is just one of many ways to apply the greatest wax products you could use......I say that from my own experience from trying several different products......

This is what you should, just a suggestion. Yes, wash, clay, wash, dry, then use Z5. Put only 1/2 oz in the tube with only 2 drops of ZFX,,,if 3 happens to go in that is ok, but try to put only 2 drops. Shake for 90 seconds, and let stand. I would do this part prior to starting to wash.

Mixed a 1/2 oz tube of Z5 and Z2 with the ZFX then, with a 100% cotton cloth or applicator apply respectively according to the instructions. I know the instructions say about a dime size drop, but I learned to use even less than that,,,a few 4-5 tear drop size on several, but close to each other on the applicator. Apply it per the directions. I can do my entire vette in about 15 minutes and still have some left over in the tube. I usually do not put two coat on at any one time,,,I have found one coat of each gives me the best results. Spray with Z6 and wipe away and the pics below speaks for themself, but the vehicle looks even better in person.
Not to worry, I'm a long time Zaino-phile. I've got it down to 3 coats with ~.75 ounce or less.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ds01c5//ZandS.jpg
Old 01-22-2005, 11:48 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Not to worry, I'm a long time Zaino-phile. I've got it down to 3 coats with ~.75 ounce or less.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ds01c5//ZandS.jpg

Great..your vette looks great, too, but do have one question, what it the spray bottle on your laying on your windshield?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
Great..your vette looks great, too, but do have one question, what it the spray bottle on your laying on your windshield?
Pinnacle Crystal Mist, great stuff.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:05 AM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Pinnacle Crystal Mist, great stuff.

Thanks.....
Old 01-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

C5Corvetteman I find it amusing that in watching you post over the past two months, you have posted nothing but "Zaino Rocks", not even appearing to have at least tried a RECENT competitor. My assessment is very honest and unlike you, I have clearly tried and posted about more than 10 sealants in the last year. (Klasse, Blackfire, UPP, Wolfgang , Race Glaze, EX-P)

I dont have a problem with you using Zaino, and claiming it is the "greatest wax" (do some homework it is not a wax nor a polish it is a sealant) but try not to come into someone elses post and attack them just because you dont agree with it (your first posting was dead on, you dont agree, but them you came back to attack it) . Or I simply was not quite as flattering as you want ... your car is black, mine is silver meaning that it may look completely different as an end result. Black cars provide better reflection because of the lack of metallic the refracts light from the source also.

I will always consider myself a leader and not a follower, and thus why I continue to move forward and try new products. Zaino is one of my top 10 product, but that allows nine other competitors to sit above it or slightly below it. Hopefully they will all continue to improve their product lines. Do you want to at least try UPP , if so, send me a PM with your name and address and I will send you some for free. If you dont like it, or see a clear difference then please post.

As note, you might wanna check over on Autopia as recently their was a very large posting on products that DID NOT match the hype, and their were more than ample listing's of Zaino as being a letdown. Face it , we all have choices and we are all looking for a different appearance, durability factor, and ease of use. http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...threadid=48952

I believe I was very flattering to Pro ..... it got rid of the previous saran-wrap plastic look that lighter cars seem to show, it is much faster at curing, its durability is always the class leader, but the ease of use could still be enhanced. Reflectivity and gloss factor are still one of the highest in sealant class , but other choices like UPP exist that will get your darn close. Not a bad review in my humble opinion.

*** For those asking about the mixing, I realize I could have mixed less, but wanted to follow the directions exactly so as to not make any errors (ala Guru Reports). I did realize that my Corvette would use less than say my CTS. I clearly told on package not to do more than two coats with ZFX the first day, and it was becoming very tacky and harder to spread towards the end of the second coat anyways. Yes, the bottle was reclosed and shook at each panel to try and keep the right consistency. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 01-23-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:13 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 869 Likes on 434 Posts

I too shake my head at people who persistently proclaim what they use is the best, without them trying something else....

How do they know what they use is so good if they haven't tried something else?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:07 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

C5Corvetteman I find it amusing that in watching you post over the past two months, you have posted nothing but "Zaino Rocks", .
Actually I have the same feelings about you and Autogeek.
You seem to be very close to that vendor.
Coincedence?
I think not!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:56 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I too shake my head at people who persistently proclaim what they use is the best, without them trying something else....

How do they know what they use is so good if they haven't tried something else?
There are so many outstanding products, it really is hard to make a bad choice. Use what you like and be happy.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 69er
Actually I have the same feelings about you and Autogeek.
You seem to be very close to that vendor.
Coincedence?
I think not!

In actuality it clearly is a coincedence ..... :o I could only wish that Jason and Max offered me freebies (let me take this back, as I did win 10 of the 12 Xmas giveaways but still paid for shipping) or payroll , but great customer service and quick delivery are all I receive. Can you send them a good word for me ????

But alas back to Zaino Z2 Pro .... let further flames from the Zaino faithful dilute the intended subject. once again, the Pro is a clear improvement on previous Z2 !

Last edited by Killrwheels; 01-23-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In actuality it clearly is a coincedence ..... :o I could only wish that Jason and Max offered me freebies (let me take this back, as I did win 10 of the 12 Xmas giveaways but still paid for shipping) or payroll , but great customer service and quick delivery are all I receive. Can you send them a good word for me ????

I don't think you need one.

Get notified of new replies

To Well I Tried It ..... Z2 Pro

Old 01-24-2005, 07:37 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

KW, you used way too much product, I can do every inch of my Escalade twice with just under one oz., most people get 2-4 coats per oz. on their Corvette's.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

I am confused!

I thought the purpose of the Z2 Pro was so you can avoid using the ZFX accelerant??????
Old 01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
I am confused!

I thought the purpose of the Z2 Pro was so you can avoid using the ZFX accelerant??????

Z-2 Pro is a replacement for Z-2, it's used the same way.

Quick Reply: Well I Tried It ..... Z2 Pro