Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Convertible top care info. wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:17 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Convertible top care info. wanted

We just picked up a C5 vert and wanted to find out how we should be taking care of the top with regards to cleaning and long term care.
thanks for your help!!

Bill
Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 PM
GB Vette
CF Over the Hill Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI-6 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VII Veteran
CI-7 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-08-'09
NCM Ambassador

Hey Bill, congrats on the vert

Ragg Topp is what I use. It's a two part deal with a cleaner and water repellent restorer. Got mine from the NCM.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well first of all - you didn't say what color the top is - so if it's white it's vinyl. If it's black, light oak or shale it's cloth. I use the kit made by RaggTop. It's approved by Haartz (who makes the tops). It's a cleaner and atreatment to restore water repellancy.

I would not use a stiff brush, which will cause the fibers to tear. I wash my car with car wash soap (actually Meguiar's NXT car wash) which is also fine on the top.

For lint and stuff like that - I bought one of those lint roller with the sticky paper. Works great!

Post some pics.....congratulations!
Old 11-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Gene Wolf
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a white vinyl top, you'll want to treat it immediately, as I had to learn the hard way .... Check out this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=932851
Old 11-29-2004, 05:10 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by GB Vette

Ragg Topp is what I use. It's a two part deal with a cleaner and water repellent restorer. Got mine from the NCM.

Mine is Oak cloth. I had a bird crap on it this weekend while on a trip, and some nice bottled water and my fingers (eeeyyyyyeeewwww ) got the mess right off. The water repellant capability of the Ragg Top saved the day.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Thanks for all of your help guys!! It is a black top!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Well first of all - you didn't say what color the top is - so if it's white it's vinyl. If it's black, light oak or shale it's cloth. I use the kit made by RaggTop. It's approved by Haartz (who makes the tops). It's a cleaner and atreatment to restore water repellancy.

I would not use a stiff brush, which will cause the fibers to tear. I wash my car with car wash soap (actually Meguiar's NXT car wash) which is also fine on the top.

For lint and stuff like that - I bought one of those lint roller with the sticky paper. Works great!

Post some pics.....congratulations!

Ragg Topp will do you right.

It's great and makes a huge difference on water beading and ability to keep clean.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by GB Vette
Good to know, saves me some research too!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:50 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
We just picked up a C5 vert and wanted to find out how we should be taking care of the top with regards to cleaning and long term care.
thanks for your help!!

Bill
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Common Stains:
Bird excrement, tree sap, road tar and grease, to remove these stains, 303r'M Fabric and Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner will lift and suspend the soil, let it soak-in (but do not let it dry) Then rinse with clean water and wash / rinse as normal and re-apply a UV protectant.

Do not use household cleaners, powered abrasives, steel wool or industrial cleaning products, dry-cleaning fluids, silicones (petroleum distillates) bleach, harsh detergents, or products with a high solvent or alcohol content as they will compromise the water resistant finish, the special adhesive used for the seams and cause the stitching to fail.

Mildew:
Use a medium soft brush, a 5:1 warm water / Woolite solution to scrub surface, rinse with cool water and dry thoroughly.

Mildew Stains:
To kill the bacteria that create mildew – vigorously scrub the stained area with a 4:1 solution of water / ammonia, rinse with cool water and dry thoroughly.

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil.

b) Fabric tops:
Fabric convertible tops (mistakenly referred to as 'canvas') are considered to be the best. These are not vinyl or canvas, but a laminate consisting of several components, a top layer of a solution-dyed acrylic textile, a middle layer of butyl rubber or urethane, and the poly-cotton headliner.

A Fabric top comprises a multi-layer composite outer fabric, an inner layer and a dyed polyester / cotton lining fabric The acrylic textile is very UV resistant...that's why it's used in this application. However, it has no inherent soil resistance, it is only water resistant, not waterproof. These breathable fabrics are made `water repellent' by a chemical treatment process during manufacture. It repels (beads) water, resists soiling and impedes mildew formation.

With time and use however the original treatment diminishes, making periodic cleaning and pre-treatment necessary, thereby extending the useful life of the fabric. After a year or so, fabric convertible topping starts to lose is soil and stain resistance, owners begin to notice the fabric gets wet and has to dry out when it rains.

The top doesn't leak because of the layer of butyl rubber (that's what it's for). However, wet fabric is an indication that the top can now soil or become stained and that it is time to treat the top with an appropriate fabric protector to prevent soiling and staining.

Road dust and dirt settles on the fabric weave, water and dirt act as an abrasive and if left will break down the fibres and abrade the stitching.

Vehicles with fabric tops should be masked before polishing or waxing (3M® Blue Painters Masking Tape, Easy Release) to avoid leaving any reside on the fabric. Use wide tape all around the edges of the hood.
There should be no need to wash your fabric top every time you wash your car. Each time you wash, even with the gentlest car wash concentrate: you are removing the previously applied protectant. Just vacuum the top using a brush attachment to remove loose dirt and then rinse with plain water, blotting dry with a Microfiber waffle weave towel.

Rode & Schwalenbert Gmbn. (Germany) the worlds leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Harrtz RaggTop Cleaners and Protectant. Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. The fabric protector recommended by Glen Raven Mills (Sunbrella) and the Haartz Corporation is 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellence and stain repellence to factory new levels. It stops leaks, resists soiling, impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays.

Application Methodology
 Use a soft horsehair brush to remove any loose surface dust, use a lint lifter to remove lint from the fabric surface. Be careful around the rear window to avoid scratching
 Mask the areas around the fabric top with masking tape (3M® Painters Easy Release Blue Tape) also cover the rear window to avoid over-spray
 Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
 With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
 Apply fabric cleaner (Harrtz RaggTop Cleaner) with a clean, damp applicator and leave to penetrate fabric for 10 – 20 minutes dependant upon stain. Gently scrub using a soft brush. Repeat if necessary.
 Appling two light coats are better than the application of one heavy coat: allow drying thoroughly between coats.
 Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
 Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
 Apply a fabric protector (Harrtz RaggTop Protectant) keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak.
 If time permits, two light coats are better than one medium coat, using gentle sweeping motion. Do not saturate. Allow to air dry 10-15 minutes between coats. Allow fabric to dry thoroughly before using or storing.
 Remove all masking tape and any other materials
 Be sure to remove any accidental over-spray from paint or glass surfaces immediately with a damp Microfiber towel, or if necessary with a pre-wax cleaner.
 After treatment the top will bead water, when the beading diminishes, it's an indication that it's time for another treatment.

Maintenance- periodically (dependant on climatic conditions) apply a UV protection (303TM Aerospace Protectant) by keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak fabric. Use a lint roller type brush (3M Lint Roller) to remove light dust and lint from fabric surface

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Elpelon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use microfiber towels to dry after washing, they will not leave lint clinging to the top.

Ragg Top products is best for cleaning and sealing your top.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top care info. wanted

Quick Reply: Convertible top care info. wanted