Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sealants .... The More Durable Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sealants .... The More Durable Choice

On another post, I have been asked to describe a specific sealant in relation to another sealant. Since alot of Corvette enthusiasts use them (maybe without knowing) , I will post my "personal" findings as well as strengths and weaknesses.

**Please note, I really am more impressed with Carnuba's because the depth and richness they offer due to the list of oils, but understand that time does not permit some to do what I like to do and as such Sealants offer better durability (length of protection) and as I get older, seem to see that time is not available as it use to be for detailing all weekend.

Wolfgang Concours
This sealant was introduced to try and bridge the gap between the carnuba wax and sealant. It is designed to mimic some of the wetness that waxes offer while offering a longer degree of protection. Wolfgang is by far the easiest sealant to add, remove, and keep up. Seriously, between its paint protectant (chemical not abrasive) , sealant, and quick detailer you will be provided with 6-10 weeks of protection with weekly washing (use their soap, stay within the line) and a quick detailing afterwards to boost sealant. A slightly warmer appearance, but extremely slick for first two weeks. Rain "slides" off ....

Klasse AIO and SG
This is probably my favorite sealant because AIO (All in One) has got to be the most beneficial product. Its STRONG chemical cleaner and acrylic sealant protection offer alot for the money. You can polish wheels, chrome, glass, and lots of other items for on the car and in the home. You can get 8-10 weeks of protection from it alone, especially when using a good detailer/booster like Sonus. Very reflective, not very plastic looking, a good sealant.

SG is the biggest pain in the ****, as I have not found away to get it on and off easily. Damp applications, on and off immediately, even the 2 hours of curing made little difference. That said when you properly use it after AIO you will have additional gloss, more reflectivity, and an almost bulletproof finish (not really bulletproof). Easily 10 weeks or better protection.

Zaino
This is one the most durable protectants available. While it needs a couple of layers to truly impressive, it will provide 8-10 weeks of protection with one coat. I liked it alot on a darker car than my lighter Corvette. There were only two flaws to note, one is that it requires heavy curing time (Z1 polishlok) or mixing (ZFX) and costs add up for each product in line (Z1 or ZFX, Z2 or Z5, ) and that it seems to trap or scar in its level of protection markings from birdie doo-doo. It looks like it damaged your finish, but easily repaired with removal and reinstallation.

Blackfire
Dont like this product enough to discuss it. While it makes the finish feel very slick (common with most sealants), it does not protect very long and found it to be "nothing special" with the slickness gone after the first or second wash. Removal is not as easy as other sealants, and look seems sterile.

NXT
I cannot express enough how much I dislike this product. Since its introduction I have been very loud at my dislike for it, and question anyone that says its better than even the basic wax. The durability is nowhere near most sealants, its spray wax is messy , and their are maybe two shining items in this line. The wash is darn good for its price point (dont know about its offer of reducing static, seems like a market ploy) and the smell is out of this world. While not scientific, NXT seems to offer a color shift which appears to be why most like it, your car looks different afterwards, not by reflectivity or wetness, but almost like the color changed slightly.

Four Star Paint Protectant
I am currently trying to evaluate this one. It is very similar to Wolfgang in use and look but slightly more reflective initially. (Probably because Wolfgang is meant to mimic carnuba). Durability is a big unknown currently but its detailer, Spritz, is extremely similar to Sonus. For price and use this seems to be a very good line for the casual detailer that wants reflective finish with sealant protection.

Poorboys EX-P
This was the product that I cleary "wanted" to love. A no marketing, no fancy label, no special claim sealant that offers the best in the business finish. What I did like is that it looked better after the first wash, and use of Sonus Spritz over it. I also love the Pina Colada smell, you really will want a break and make one. But ... this is the thickest sealant I have ever used. It is extremely hard to regulate, and as such is hard to put on very light. Thus it is harder to remove when not thinnest of application, and dusts up a storm. Durability seems to be in the middle of the sealant pack with NXT on one side and Zaino on the other.

Menzerna FMJ
This is the product that I cannot wait to try, as their polish line is one of the easiest to use with good results. That said, I cannot bring myself to spend 39.99 for the sealant alone ( while yes I pay over 50.00 for one of the best carnubas ever, period) as most sealants seem to have a price point of less than 1/2 this. I AM WILLING TO TRADE OR ACCEPT A TRIAL SIZE >>>>

Rejex
Oops forgot this one .... boy was I disappointed. I used it first on my wifes painted wheels (did not make much slicker, and did not keep brake dust at bay infact it stuck just the same). I tried it on one panel and it streaked and took distilled water to remove the markings. Unfortunately at that point is got placed back in the detailing cabinet.

Now I am sure there are more that I have forgot, but that means they did not leave a lasting (durable) impression on me. Again, personal at best but indicator of some products on the market you maybe looking to try.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 11-16-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default So which is better Klasse or Zaino??

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
On another post, I have been asked to describe a specific sealant in relation to another sealant. Since alot of Corvette enthusiasts use them (maybe without knowing) , I will post my "personal" findings as well as strengths and weaknesses.

**Please note, I really am more impressed with Carnuba's because the depth and richness they offer due to the list of oils, but understand that time does not permit some to do what I like to do and as such Sealants offer better durability (length of protection) and as I get older, seem to see that time is not available as it use to be for detailing all weekend.

Wolfgang Concours
This sealant was introduced to try and bridge the gap between the carnuba wax and sealant. It is designed to mimic some of the wetness that waxes offer while offering a longer degree of protection. Wolfgang is by far the easiest sealant to add, remove, and keep up. Seriously, between its paint protectant (chemical not abrasive) , sealant, and quick detailer you will be provided with 6-10 weeks of protection with weekly washing (use their soap, stay within the line) and a quick detailing afterwards to boost sealant. A slightly warmer appearance, but extremely slick for first two weeks. Rain "slides" off ....

Klasse AIO and SG
This is probably my favorite sealant because AIO (All in One) has got to be the most beneficial product. Its STRONG chemical cleaner and acrylic sealant protection offer alot for the money. You can polish wheels, chrome, glass, and lots of other items for on the car and in the home. You can get 8-10 weeks of protection from it alone, especially when using a good detailer/booster like Sonus. Very reflective, not very plastic looking, a good sealant.

SG is the biggest pain in the ****, as I have not found away to get it on and off easily. Damp applications, on and off immediately, even the 2 hours of curing made little difference. That said when you properly use it after AIO you will have additional gloss, more reflectivity, and an almost bulletproof finish (not really bulletproof). Easily 10 weeks or better protection.

Zaino
This is one the most durable protectants available. While it needs a couple of layers to truly impressive, it will provide 8-10 weeks of protection with one coat. I liked it alot on a darker car than my lighter Corvette. There were only two flaws to note, one is that it requires heavy curing time (Z1 polishlok) or mixing (ZFX) and costs add up for each product in line (Z1 or ZFX, Z2 or Z5, ) and that it seems to trap or scar in its level of protection markings from birdie doo-doo. It looks like it damaged your finish, but easily repaired with removal and reinstallation.

Blackfire
Dont like this product enough to discuss it. While it makes the finish feel very slick (common with most sealants), it does not protect very long and found it to be "nothing special" with the slickness gone after the first or second wash. Removal is not as easy as other sealants, and look seems sterile.

NXT
I cannot express enough how much I dislike this product. Since its introduction I have been very loud at my dislike for it, and question anyone that says its better than even the basic wax. The durability is nowhere near most sealants, its spray wax is messy , and their are maybe two shining items in this line. The wash is darn good for its price point (dont know about its offer of reducing static, seems like a market ploy) and the smell is out of this world. While not scientific, NXT seems to offer a color shift which appears to be why most like it, your car looks different afterwards, not by reflectivity or wetness, but almost like the color changed slightly.

Four Star Paint Protectant
I am currently trying to evaluate this one. It is very similar to Wolfgang in use and look but slightly more reflective initially. (Probably because Wolfgang is meant to mimic carnuba). Durability is a big unknown currently but its detailer, Spritz, is extremely similar to Sonus. For price and use this seems to be a very good line for the casual detailer that wants reflective finish with sealant protection.

Poorboys EX-P
This was the product that I cleary "wanted" to love. A no marketing, no fancy label, no special claim sealant that offers the best in the business finish. What I did like is that it looked better after the first wash, and use of Sonus Spritz over it. I also love the Pina Colada smell, you really will want a break and make one. But ... this is the thickest sealant I have ever used. It is extremely hard to regulate, and as such is hard to put on very light. Thus it is harder to remove when not thinnest of application, and dusts up a storm. Durability seems to be in the middle of the sealant pack with NXT on one side and Zaino on the other.

Menzerna FMJ
This is the product that I cannot wait to try, as their polish line is one of the easiest to use with good results. That said, I cannot bring myself to spend 39.99 for the sealant alone ( while yes I pay over 50.00 for one of the best carnubas ever, period) as most sealants seem to have a price point of less than 1/2 this. I AM WILLING TO TRADE OR ACCEPT A TRIAL SIZE >>>>

Rejex
Oops forgot this one .... boy was I disappointed. I used it first on my wifes painted wheels (did not make much slicker, and did not keep brake dust at bay infact it stuck just the same). I tried it on one panel and it streaked and took distilled water to remove the markings. Unfortunately at that point is got placed back in the detailing cabinet.

Now I am sure there are more that I have forgot, but that means they did not leave a lasting (durable) impression on me. Again, personal at best but indicator of some products on the market you maybe looking to try.
If you follow the instructions and do the preparation work correctly on both Klasse AIO and Sealant and Zaino which product will last longer and offer the best protection?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
If you follow the instructions and do the preparation work correctly on both Klasse AIO and Sealant and Zaino which product will last longer and offer the best protection?
Thats a hard one to answer, mostly because you will probably miss detailing your car before either fails. 10 weeks plus on either product line. Zaino probably would edge out Klasse in true durability and is said to be more optically pure (also consider Sal ready to assist at each call), but Klasse is easier to use (no mixing / curing) and the chemical cleaner in AIO is always welcome to make sure nothing is being sealed into the finish between paint and sealant. Both are super choices ....

Last edited by Killrwheels; 11-17-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Here is a link that was posted on another Forum about some of the products in this thread

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5504326-1.html

Last edited by hcvone; 11-17-2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:11 AM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each his own.... personally I prefer NXT, and since I only drive my Vette on nice sunny days, and it is garaged the rest of the time, durability is a nil factor.....
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Thank you for the information and your insights…/

Product Choices:
What are the criteria used to choose one product over another?
1. Aesthetic value
2. Ease of application
3. Durability

1. The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least (beauty is after all in the ‘guy’ of the beholder) the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you. It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product 7% application methodology and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.

2 & 3 Ease of application and durability are both very easily researched through either product use experience or detailing forums. A manufacturer is free to place any claim of excellence he wants on his product to make it sell, judge products on their merits rather than personal preference, brand loyalty or emotions.

Finally-“ It’s the surface preparation that makes the most difference, not the product”.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-17-2004, 11:35 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much Killrwheels that cleared up a bunch a questions I had. I used Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and it is by far my favorite. Wolfgang is coming in a close second and will probably try Pinnacle as a topper and use Crystal Mist as a quick detailer spray for the next season.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Oilpatch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been very satisfied with Wolfgang. Wolfgang produces a deep luster kind of look. It is easy to use and the car looks great to me.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the appearance of Wolfgang on dark colors, but there is very little durability compared to other products out there (ie. Zaino and Klasse).
Old 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

Killrwheels,

You are a brave man, putting out your opinion about sealants. This is an area that can become a religion to many people.

Thanks for taking the time to document your personnal experience with these products!

-Bob
Old 11-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDVT4ME
Killrwheels,

You are a brave man, putting out your opinion about sealants. This is an area that can become a religion to many people.

Thanks for taking the time to document your personnal experience with these products!

-Bob
Thanks .... and again it is an opinion and I believe I am entitled to it. Doesnt make it the absolute "word" on detailing, just personal results from someone that actually likes to detail and living in the Florida climate that allows for year round washing, detailing and reporting.

For the Wolfgang folks, dont worry about the Carl's (HCVONE) posting, remember he is paid to sell and research only ZAINO (otherwise it effects his pocket making him highly biased) . Doesnt mean that his product is bad, but far from perfect. Wolfgang Concours is a great product, and length of protection is greatly increased by staying in the same line and using the wash, and detailer consistently (weekly at washing). It also looks wonderful with a carnuba topping of your choice for added wetness and depth, as most other sealants do also.

Take one thing away from this post, and that all sealants are different. Even with some of them being produced as similar or sister products, and even same ingredients does not make the use and execution different for each user based on personal preference, temperature, humidity, and MOST importantly desired outcome. I believe all sealants are good before initial use, and am not compensated on outcome. But as a "paying" client, I do reserve the right to discuss my perceived strengths and weaknesses.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:57 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcvone
Here is a link that was posted on another Forum about some of the products in this thread

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5504326-1.html
So what you are saying is if you really want a show car wax for car shows I should be using "Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss $7.95, 16oz" since beat Zanio Wolfgang and all the rest and come out number one in Initial applications.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Information source:

Quote: Klasse AIO and SG

SG is the biggest pain in the ****, as I have not found away to get it on and off easily. Damp applications, on and off immediately, even the 2 hours of curing made little difference. That said when you properly use it after AIO you will have additional gloss, more reflectivity, and an almost bulletproof finish (not really bulletproof). Easily 10 weeks or better protection. EOQ

~One man’s opinion / observations~

A couple of things that may help-

Fill a fine mist spray bottle with SG to ensure a super thin application
Apply AIO to complete vehicle and then without removing residue spray SG to a panel at a time and then remove residue (CMA/ Autopia thread)

SG- apply a thin application to panel 1 & 2, remove residue from panel 1 and apply a thin application to panel 3, remove residue from panel 2, etc, etc
Wipe on, wipe off (WOWO) method for Klasse SG http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...threadid=30989

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Between Zaino & Klasse

These two products seem to get the best reviews but between the two which one is the easier one to maintain that long lasting protection and shine?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

Killrwheels

Yep, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I'm glad you were able to share it. We can all learn from others experience. Everyone likes different products for different reasons.

A guy from PPG industries has a saying that says it well....."Find something you like and use it often".

-Bob
Old 11-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Killrwheels
A guy from PPG industries has a saying that says it well....."Find something you like and use it often".

-Bob
Actually wasn't that Mike Phillips from Mequires. I think he did work for PPG before that.

For those that asked for pics ... its hard to do justice in digital camera mode, but here are a couple.

Pinnacle Souveran (my favorite all time wax)

Klasse AIO / SG --wifes car and yes house has since been repainted taupe!

Wolfgang -- Intentionally dark to show reflection even on high metallic silver

Last edited by Killrwheels; 11-18-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:35 PM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

Yes, that is a quote that Mike Phillips uses.....exact quote below:

"Find something you like and use it often"

Jack Anderson
Paint Instructor for the PPG paint company

Get notified of new replies

To Sealants .... The More Durable Choice

Old 11-19-2004, 02:23 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Preparation more important than product?

Yes, that is a quote that Mike Phillips uses.....exact quote below:

"Find something you like and use it often"

Jack Anderson
Paint Instructor for the PPG paint company
In other words it isn't the product but the preparation and the consistent care you are more apt to do over another product.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
In other words it isn't the product but the preparation and the consistent care you are more apt to do over another product.

I like a certain sealant and would use it more often, but I dont like to mix products (always spill or add to much) and I dont like curing time from that product. But here is product B and C that offer similar looks and benefits but that can be put on and off in nearly the time of a good carnuba. (15-20 min) So in my opinion, these products are easier to use and thus can be used a little more often to keep up the appearance of the finish. That does not even assume the difference in cost for each of these products, and their required agents or required mixing agents.

Put this into perspective, if you took the time to properly prep your finish you have a beautiful car. Now you want to find the carnuba or sealant to keep that finish protected, but it is your responsibility to understand all the strengths and weaknesses of your choice, because you dont want to have to start all over again. Thus if one product is less durable than another, you want to know how easy it is to use because you will do so a little more often, and you want to know if it can layer so you can build up equal or better protection.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 11-19-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default And the Winner is?

Originally Posted by Killrwheels

I like a certain sealant and would use it more often, but I dont like to mix products (always spill or add to much) and I dont like curing time from that product. But here is product B and C that offer similar looks and benefits but that can be put on and off in nearly the time of a good carnuba. (15-20 min) So in my opinion, these products are easier to use and thus can be used a little more often to keep up the appearance of the finish. That does not even assume the difference in cost for each of these products, and their required agents or required mixing agents.

Put this into perspective, if you took the time to properly prep your finish you have a beautiful car. Now you want to find the carnuba or sealant to keep that finish protected, but it is your responsibility to understand all the strengths and weaknesses of your choice, because you dont want to have to start all over again. Thus if one product is less durable than another, you want to know how easy it is to use because you will do so a little more often, and you want to know if it can layer so you can build up equal or better protection.
Sounds like Klasse gets the bid on this one.

Quick Reply: Sealants .... The More Durable Choice