Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Your Help Requested on Car Care Products

Old 11-16-2004, 11:25 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Your Help Requested on Car Care Products

#1. What are you folks doing to protect and shine your wheels? I’ve seen posts complaining about polished wheels being too dull. Personally, I like the look. I understand that the wheels are clear coated. Should they be Zainoed like the rest of the car? I saw a product that’s a sealant called Auto Wheel Wax at http://www.alloywheelwax.com/. It’s an off shoot of Tough-Seal like Tough-Guard. Like all makers, they make great claims of keeping break dust off for 3 mos. etc. It’s about $28 plus shipping from the UK. I already have the Zaino, thanks to several discussions on this forum and plan to do the Magic this weekend. Any thoughts or suggestions?
#2. What type of Tire Shine do you recommended? I’ve always used Armor All, Son-of-a-Gun, or Black Magic. Stoner looks good though. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance. JT in VA Bch
Old 11-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Yep.

Both painted and polished, which is cleared, should be Zainoed.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:04 PM
seibert1814
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried every tire dressing/treatment in the book. Go to www.supershinedetail.com and you will find the BEST tire dressing there is.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Kaosinla
Pro

Location: Beverly Hills No Job is Too Small, No Fee is Too Big!!!

Originally Posted by Weasel
Old 11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
C6Witch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Weasel
Zaino for sure...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:29 PM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

I use Zaino. It is the best.
http://www.zainostore.com/
Old 11-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Epro
Melting Slicks

I take good care of my (parents) Impala. I usually armour all the entire inside every 2 or 3 weeks. And wash it with a non scratch brush (forget the name) and a water bucket with armour all car wash added in. Now for a wax job, I don't wax it much >.< I like to use the turtle stuff though.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default How about Klasse?

Originally Posted by c6nut
I use Zaino. It is the best.
http://www.zainostore.com/
How does Klasse AIO and Sealant compare. it is very similiar to Zaino but with less steps with same results.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:19 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Car wash products

So what car wash product is recommended? Exclude Zaino because it has its own car wash.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
How does Klasse AIO and Sealant compare. it is very similiar to Zaino but with less steps with same results.
It provides the same protection and benefits as Zaino does. I use just Klasse AIO on my chromies since new , because it has a chemical cleaner not just a protectant included.

Never found anything that truly did NOT allow brake dust to settle, just some sealants that make it easier to remove. Putting on Baer Eradispeeds and ceramic brake pads made a world of difference though.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote: #2. What type of Tire Shine do you recommended? I’ve always used Armor All, Son-of-a-Gun, or Black Magic. Stoner looks good though. Any suggestions?

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Tyre (Rubber) Cleaner:
For any type of protect ant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. 3M Tire and Wheel cleaner quickly and safely clean wheels and tires in one easy step. Leaving tyres and wheel surfaces with a brilliant shine, cleaning the toughest scuffs and soil from sidewalls.

Tyre Dressings:
The porous nature of rubber and polymers attracts dirt, dust, and brake dust and road grime, for any tyre protect ant to work well on rubber it must be applied to a clean surface. A rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner PN 39096) will remove old dressing, any dead rubber and properly prepare your tyre for the application of a protect ant. Spray cleaner on to a clean surface, agitate with a stiff tyre brush, rinse and apply a tyre dressing

The Good: Water based dressings- Polydimethylsiloxane (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas Silicone is not.

The Bad: Silicone-based dressings- Dimethyl Silicone (usually a clear greasy liquid) contains petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind. Some bottles have a warning that they contain Petroleum Distillates

The Ugly: Silicone is an active ingredient in sun UV amplification. As a low quality silicone dressing evaporates away, the silicone oil is left behind, the sun then amplifies these residues, and the drying process is accelerated.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-18-2004, 04:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Quote: #2. What type of Tire Shine do you recommended? I’ve always used Armor All, Son-of-a-Gun, or Black Magic. Stoner looks good though. Any suggestions?

Tyre (Rubber) Cleaner:
For any type of protect ant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. 3M Tire and Wheel cleaner quickly and safely clean wheels and tires in one easy step. Leaving tyres and wheel surfaces with a brilliant shine, cleaning the toughest scuffs and soil from sidewalls.

Tyre Dressings:
The porous nature of rubber and polymers attracts dirt, dust, and brake dust and road grime, for any tyre protect ant to work well on rubber it must be applied to a clean surface. A rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner PN 39096) will remove old dressing, any dead rubber and properly prepare your tyre for the application of a protect ant. Spray cleaner on to a clean surface, agitate with a stiff tyre brush, rinse and apply a tyre dressing

The Good: Water based dressings- Polydimethylsiloxane (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas Silicone is not.

The Bad: Silicone-based dressings- Dimethyl Silicone (usually a clear greasy liquid) contains petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind. Some bottles have a warning that they contain Petroleum Distillates

The Ugly: Silicone is an active ingredient in sun UV amplification. As a low quality silicone dressing evaporates away, the silicone oil is left behind, the sun then amplifies these residues, and the drying process is accelerated.

~Hope this helps~

How about 303 protectant for the tires and interior?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Tire Care

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
#2. What type of Tire Shine do you recommended? I’ve always used Armor All, Son-of-a-Gun, or Black Magic. Stoner looks good though. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance. JT in VA Bch
In my opinion the best tire care procduct is black shoe polish. I use paste unless the tires have a lot of detail, then a liquid is easier. Put on as many coats as necesary to get an even finish and let it dry, then shine it up with a shoe brush. After you have washed the car, no need to reapply, just hit it with the shoe brush again. Little more work initially, but in the long run, I think it is easier. It will leave your tires with a rich satin lustre that basically makes them look like they are new and last much much longer than any of the regularly available dressings.

Your mileage may vary............
Old 11-21-2004, 07:46 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks Jon, Great info. JT
Old 11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skybolt31
In my opinion the best tire care procduct is black shoe polish. I use paste unless the tires have a lot of detail, then a liquid is easier. Put on as many coats as necesary to get an even finish and let it dry, then shine it up with a shoe brush. After you have washed the car, no need to reapply, just hit it with the shoe brush again. Little more work initially, but in the long run, I think it is easier. It will leave your tires with a rich satin lustre that basically makes them look like they are new and last much much longer than any of the regularly available dressings.

Your mileage may vary............

Most shoe polishes are formulated with either beeswax (melting point 130oF) or carnauba wax (melting point 180oF) I would seriously question “last much, much longer than any of the regularly available dressings”.

(as a side note most shoe polish use silicone) Dimethyl, it contains petroleum distillates which are environmentally unsound and give a slick, oily finish, which attracts dust and dirt. It also causes rubber compounds along with sun iteration to remove the micro-wax in tyres as well as its carbon black (it's what gives tyres their colour)

~Hope this helps~

Last edited by TOGWT; 11-22-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:15 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

As you can see, there are many great suggestions on your thread. Sooooo, I thought I would add my $0.02 worth.

I have high polish aluminum rims and use Mother's chrome finish on them. It is a bit runny, but I put it on with my fingers. I squeeze the liquid into the palm of my hand and then take my other hand and fingers and apply all over the rims. Let dry for about 1/2 hour or longer.....then wipe away with a old 100% cotton towel. Excellent shine.

On my tires, I use NXT Vinyl, Rubber, Platic spray. I spray it on after I have applied the Mother's chrome finish and it has had time to dry. When you spray it on the rubber tires, you will have some spray on your rims. Let stand for about 1/2 hour then wipe away the excess, or you can spray it on a form applicator or rag and applie it to the tire itself. Either way, it leaves a great shine and you do not have any that will "sling" onto the body.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOGWT

Most shoe polishes are formulated with either beeswax (melting point 130oF) or carnauba wax (melting point 180oF) I would seriously question “last much, much longer than any of the regularly available dressings”.

(as a side note most shoe polish use silicone) Dimethyl, it contains petroleum distillates which are environmentally unsound and give a slick, oily finish, which attracts dust and dirt. It also causes rubber compounds along with sun iteration to remove the micro-wax in tyres as well as its carbon black (it's what gives tyres their colour)

~Hope this helps~

Well I suppose I would question it too except for I have been using it for the past 25 years and have tried many alternatives looking for an easier way to do it. I like your theory, but I am happier with my empirical data.

Get notified of new replies

To Your Help Requested on Car Care Products

Old 11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skybolt31
Well I suppose I would question it too except for I have been using it for the past 25 years and have tried many alternatives looking for an easier way to do it. I like your theory, but I am happier with my empirical data.
Sounds like you haven't tried any quality dressings.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:00 AM
skybolt31
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Sounds like you haven't tried any quality dressings.
No doubt about that!
Old 11-24-2004, 11:46 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be interested in Zaino Z16 and/or Poorboy's dressings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your Help Requested on Car Care Products