Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Car wax

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Buckeye guy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wax

What kind of car wax do you guys use on your vettes? How often do you wax the car? Is there such a thing as over waxing a car?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:24 PM
faststuff
Advanced

-just don't rub it raw (remove the paint!)
Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10 lots of great info on keep the cars clean!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:39 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love this, one of the first C6 Zaino posts. If you don't know about Zaino, you need to learn about it between now and when you get your car. I used nothing but on my C5. I have tried just about everything on my other vehicles and nothing compares. I have a Black SS Silverado, and thought I would start trying other waxes a polishes, I switched back to Zaino because I am so so so **** about a clean shiny car and that stuff is the only thing that doesn't drive me crazy.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:50 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Ted, where do you find this Zaino stuff, AutoZone, Checker, Pep Boys or Wal-Mart? Or is it "none of the above?"
Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Wafdof
Racer

Originally Posted by jackcasa
So Ted, where do you find this Zaino stuff, AutoZone, Checker, Pep Boys or Wal-Mart? Or is it "none of the above?"
You have to buy it from the Zaino Brother's Website (Ecklers and others sell it too but you pay more for the same thing) You can buy a kit that has all the needed items from them. Beware it is $$$, but I promise it is really worth it.

BTW, you do NOT need to get the accelerator where you and I live (You will see that item in a kit and advertised as an add on). I tried it with and without the accelerator and I saw no difference in drying time. The accelerator is needed in moderate to high humidity areas. Here where it is dry as a bone it is wasted money IMO. By the time I finished putting on a coat it was ready to come off from where I started.

You might be put off by all the steps it takes to do your car. I put 3 coats of Zaino on and off in about an hour and a half to two hours(with help). It gave my dark blue Avalanche the deepest shine I have ever seen on it. It looked 100% better than the day I bought it. I also did my 5 year old Toyota and my Harley and man I have to say WOW!

Hope that helps!

PS I have replied to your emails but I bet my hotmail account is getting blocked. Put me in your buddy list please Take care!

Last edited by Wafdof; 07-14-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:04 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jackcasa
I get mine from Ecklers. Nothing beats the Z6 spray on for in between applications. The stuff is so clear you can do your windows. Also it outlasts wax by at least 2 to 1.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

When I had my Turbo Stealth, I used The Wax Shop liquid pure carnuba wax. It was just to protect the paint since you can't get the clear coat any shiner than it is.

It did come off after each wash, so I didn't apply it that often.

Does this Zaino stuff work the same way but does it last thru a hand wash?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[B][COLOR=DarkOrange]I too use Zaino. Here's a link to their website.ZainoStore
Old 07-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

I too use Zaino. Here's a link to their website.ZainoStore
Old 07-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ufso
When I had my Turbo Stealth, I used The Wax Shop liquid pure carnuba wax. It was just to protect the paint since you can't get the clear coat any shiner than it is.

It did come off after each wash, so I didn't apply it that often.

Does this Zaino stuff work the same way but does it last thru a hand wash?

If you think that a clear coat can't get any shinier you definitely have been using the wrong stuff. Once applied Zaino will last for months through many washes. That's one of the main things about Zaino is you build layers of it up. And in doing so the shine just gets deeper and deeper. Here's a link to their website. ZainoStore

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 07-14-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Wafdof
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
If you think that a clear coat can't get any shinier you definitely have been using the wrong stuff. Once applied Zaino will last for months through many washes. That's one of the main things about Zaino is you build layers of it up. And in doing so the shine just gets deeper and deeper. Here's a link to their website. ZainoStore

I have tried most all the major brands and I have never seen this kind of shine from any other product. I have only had it on my Car, Truck and Motorcycle for about a month so I can not attest to its long term durability. The sun is totally brutal here and the finish beads water like crazy still, something I noticed Carnuba does not do here after only a short time.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Doo
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Welcome to Zaino...
Old 07-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Bubba's C6
Instructor

100% without a doubt Zaino is the choice. I had a 2001 10th Anniversary Firehawk and it was black and nothing made the car look as well as Zaino did. My brother has a black Camaro SS and the shine on that car is awesome. You won't be disappointed with the Zaino and don't be worried about all the steps, its a piece of cake, if I can do it anyone can!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:53 AM
RonnieC6
Instructor

Default Better Than Zaino

I have been detailing my cars for the last 30 years (6 Vettes, Porsches, BMW's Mercedes), and have tried everything under the sun including Zainos, Zymol, Griots, Mothers,....and the the product that I find the easiest to use which provides the best shine and protection is ADAMS. I live in Los Angeles, and my 2002 Z06 is parked outside Monday-Friday for 10 hours a day. And the junk in the air in LA is the worst enemy of paint. ADAMS makes a individual product for every inch of a car, inside and out. Wash, polish, wax, quick detail, wheels, leather, vynal, rubber. Easy on, easy off, and it looks and protects better than anything. I fully detail my Vette 4 times a year, and use a quick glaze every month (30 minutes on and off). A friend on mine who owns a Ferrari-Maserati-Porsche-Audi dealer here in L,A. was so impressed with ADAMS, that he got rid of all of his other detailing products and uses ADAMS to detail every new car upon arrival. Check it out at www.adamspolishes.com Once you try it, you will never go back to anythiong else! (including Zaino's)
Old 07-14-2004, 12:23 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Default Better than Zaino?

Not to say that this Adams stuff is not better than Zaino. But it is a wax, and wax is yellow and greasy. It is a darn good lubricant. I live in Nevada and this place is a dust bowl. I use wax on my Escalade (I have the kid do it) and the thing attracts just so much dust. Evan on the white you can really see it. I use Zaino on the Black SS and it collects about 1/3rd the dust and that blows off as soon as you go over 50 where it doesn't using wax. As far as lasting, I go months and months without reapplying and the shine is still great and water beads nicely. Also the water here is so hard that it leaves etches windows. Zaino protects against that, it is so clear I can, and do the windows also. BUT I try everything! so I think I will give this Adams stuff a try, If I don't like it, I still can find a use for it. But I won't experiment on the C6, till Adams is proven it gets Zaino.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
hb_cpa
Racer

St. Jude Contributor

I've been using Zaino for a few years now. However, I heard Meguiar's NXT was a real good product. Has anyone tried it?

Get notified of new replies

To Car wax

Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Zaino. Period....Nothing better, and in 30 years, i tried them all
Old 07-14-2004, 01:51 PM
2005_C6
Advanced

Speaking of Zaino - On a brand new car that has never been waxed, do I only need Z2?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:20 PM
RonnieC6
Instructor

Default Adams

A member of my vette club tried NXT on his 2002 black C5 coupe...he went back to ADAMS!!! As I said earlier...Zainos is very good...I used it on my black 2001 vert for quite a while...then I tried ADAMS and the rest is history!!!

Quick Reply: Car wax