Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

wax removal questions`

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:32 AM
jjcslynn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wax removal questions`

My painter tells me I have too many coats of wax on the car (four). The extra wax is making the shine dull looking. He tells me I need to strip the wax and only put on one coat at a time. OK, I'll give it a try but how/what do I use to remove the wax once it's applied to the car?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

wash the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid.
Then wash it again with Mequiars NXT car wash.
Then re-wax.

Last edited by Thunder22; 08-28-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Y2KVert
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor 06

Originally Posted by jjcslynn
My painter tells me I have too many coats of wax on the car (four). The extra wax is making the shine dull looking. He tells me I need to strip the wax and only put on one coat at a time. OK, I'll give it a try but how/what do I use to remove the wax once it's applied to the car?
Dawn dishwashing liquid and a Brillo pad.
Actually skip the Brillo pad. Dawn should be all you will need.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:16 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gresch
wash the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid.
Then wash it again with Mequiars NXT car wash.
Then re-wax.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:38 PM
JackTsDBG
Racer

Wouldn't hurt to use detailing clay on the car after the Dawn. Will strip the last bit of wax as well as any crud, overspray, or waterspots. Should give you a glass smooth finish.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackTsDBG
Wouldn't hurt to use detailing clay on the car after the Dawn. Will strip the last bit of wax as well as any crud, overspray, or waterspots. Should give you a glass smooth finish.

Detailing clay, along with microfiber clothes are 2 of the better things I have ever seen for making a car look good.

I just got clay and spray from this guy and it worked great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7918735463
Old 08-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

A real good wash with Dawn dishwashing soap will take the old wax off.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I just finished using the Zaino process. I used warm water with Dawn to get rid of most of the old wax and then a Clay bar to fine-tune it. I then applied 2 layers of swirl polish and 2 layers of finishing polish. In between polish I used their spray on polish to help deepened the shine. That would mean I have 4 layers of polish and 4 layers of the spray polish for a total 8 layers.

The shine is unbelievable and I would recommend these products to all. I do think that old wax can get nasty though over time so stripping the car and starting over is probably a good idea.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

As very one else said
wash with Dawn/clay bar/wash again/apply zaino or nxt

I had about 4 or 5 coats of zaino on the car and it didn't appear dull at all

Old 08-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually some of these comments above are wrong, and they involve Dawn specifically. Dawn Dishwashing liquid is highly alkaline based and as such cuts through grease well. It does NOT necessarily remove all of a carnuba wax (this is where Zaino suggested its use and everyone jumped on the bandwagon without further investigation) , and it will NOT penetrate a sealant (Klasse, Zaino, Wolfgang, Blackfire, EX-P) at all. What are those 4 current levels comprised of a sealant or carnuba product (and did it have a cleaner in it ??)

You want to remove everything and start fresh ??? You have 4 real options.

1. 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover (or other chemical stripper)
2. Claybar
3. Mixture of 70% isoporyl alcohol / 30% water (my favorite)
4. Polishing or Cleaner Wax

It really is that simple. And those that are using DAWN to wash your car more than once a year, your drying out your weatherstripping, thats about all other than removing some surface grease and oil.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 08-28-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:48 PM
jjcslynn
Pro

Thanks for the comments, but I'm afraid to use alchohol on my car. I already used the Dawn and Brillo Pad (just kidding).

You sure the alcohol doesn't hurt the paint?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:47 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

3M Swirl Mark Remover.

Then wash with Dawn

Claybar

Wash again with Dawn

Your choice of wax.

Just my $6.24 opinion.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

You sure the alcohol doesn't hurt the paint?

Not in the least and it is used as an active ingredent in most QD for spot cleaning because it disipates quickly. It is actually very quick and easy. (I keep a bottle premixed and ready to go) You spritz the panel and wipe off. You will see it haze slightly on wipe and drys to a nice a squeaky panel. Then you are ready to rewax.

Now if you prefer , look for a light polish. It will remove old wax and light scratches. Some good ones are Menzerna Final Polish, and Einszett Metallic Polish. These are super light abrasive and break down quickly.

And one other product exists, but it will do it all. Klasse All-In-One. It has a chemical cleaner (removing old wax and contaminents) and an acrylic sealant for protection. Its durabilty (length of protection) is over 4 months. You can easily add any carnuba over it for the super wet look. Alone it is very reflective like most other quality sealants. (wolfgang, poorboys, zaino)

Email me as necessary if you need some help on where to find these items.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:09 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Isopropyl alcohol will not hurt paint. It is used in premium windhsield washer anti freezes. It is much more paint friendly than methanol which can dull clear coat. methanol is the solvent in almost all of the $0.99-$1.99 washer fluids.

I agree with killrwheels. Dawn will not take of sealants or all synthetic waxes. but does a reasonable job at getting rid of carnuba.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:40 PM
1 Clean Z06
Intermediate

Something just is not right with that statement. The amount of wax on your car is not "dulling" the shine...something else is. Perhaps you have severe swirling or there is something else on the paint (tree sap, industrial fall-out or just some good old fashion road grime??).
Old 08-29-2004, 06:58 AM
jjcslynn
Pro

It is definitely duller than the two panels he repainted last week. I noticed it as soon as I applied the wax. Maybe it's the wax. Wife bought me AMWAY wax. Supposed to be good.
I'm limited in what I can get over here. They only have a few products on the base, and I don't trust many of the products in the English market.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Wife bought me AMWAY wax.
Nothing from Amway has ever been regarded as "better than average". I suggest an order from www.autogeek.net. Look at the Pinnacle or Klasse kits. Use couponcode "corvetteforum" on checkout to save another 10% off. ( In fact they are giving away some new polishes and waxes on a new post above this one, looking for "debuting at autogeek" as title)

*** Also of note, when you repaint anything, you need to blend into the other panels to make it match, and you usually compound and polish the other areas to bring it up to standard***

Get notified of new replies

To wax removal questions`

Quick Reply: wax removal questions`