Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How to use Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:38 AM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to use Zaino

I'm moving this from a thread in the Tech sections. The mods closed it rather than moving it, but I thought it would be useful here. I've also corrected the instructions from the old thread based on a comment I received.

The original post was asking how to use Zaino since the instructions on the zainobros.com website are kind of confusing.

First, you will want to get the Total Protection kit. You don't need the Ultimate protection kit unless you want to use Zaino products on the leather and stuff. No one has really gone on and on about how well it works for leather like they do for paint, so to save a few bucks just stick with whatever you're using for leather, tires, and glass for now.

Ok, so once you get your Total Protection kit you'll have the following:
ZFX Accelerator (very small dropper bottle)
Z-2 Polish
Z-5 Swirl/Scratch remover
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
Z-7 Car Wash
Z-18 Claybar
two applicator pads
two mixing bottles

What else you'll need:
Dawn dishwashing liquid
**100%** MADE IN USA cotton towels. Don't substitute. 100% Made in the USA towels are the best you can get. Anything else and you'll just be putting swirl marks right back into the clearcoat. Make sure the towels don't have sewn edges or logos or anything that would be rough on the clearcoat. Ideally you should get purpose-made 100% Made in the USA cotton detailing towels.

The problem with Zaino is that the numbers don't correspond to steps like Meguiar's or other products. Here's how you do it.

Step 1: Wash the car with the Z-7 car wash. Then dry.

Step 2: Use the Z-18 clay bar to remove the contaminates from the paint. As per the directions, use the Z-7 Car Wash as a lubricant for the claybar. The Z-7 car wash is concentrate, so you need to mix it with water. Zaino recommends 1/2 capful for 12 oz of water. It is easier to use it as a lubricant if you have a clean and empty spray bottle. Put the mixture in the spray bottle and use the spray to lubricate the areas your are working the claybar on.

Step 3: Wash your car thoroughly with Dawn dishwashing detergent. Not something you want to do regularly, but Dawn will break down all the old polishes and waxes and cleaners you have used in the past. Basically, it strips all the old crap off your paint. Once the car is dried you're ready for the next step.

Note: The paint should be smooth at this point. The claybar should have taken care of that. If not, go back over the non-smooth areas with the claybar, then wash those areas again with a Dawn wash. I don't re-wash the entire car with Dawn again cuz washing your car with Dawn repeatedly and frequently is bad for the clearcoat. It's supposed to be a once-a-year or once-every-six-months thing when you go through the entire Zaino process.

Step 4: Start with the Z-5 swirl/scratch remover. Pour 2 oz of the Z-5 into one of the mixing bottles. Then add 5 drops of the ZFX. Close the bottle and shake well for a minute or two. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then before you apply to the applicator pad shake it for another 10 seconds or so.

Note: First, this mixture is only good for 12 hours. So mix it when you're ready. When you're done with this entire process thoroughly clean the bottles so you can reuse them. If the stuff sits in the bottles for more than 12 hrs then the ZFX will go bad and will contaminate the bottles and you will have to throw them away. Zaino does sell more plastic bottles if you need them, or you can use your own. Bottom line, mix and use when you need it, then clean em out.

Step 5: Apply the ZFX/Z-5 mixture to your car as you would any other polish. This stuff is strong so you don't need to use much. The 2oz bottle you mixed is actually enough to do several coats on two cars. Apply about a dime or nickle sized portion to your applicator pad. Work one area at a time. Use small circular motions with the applicator pad. Then immediately go over the same area and apply in straight motions. For horizontal body panels (hood, top of the fenders, roof, trunk lid, etc.) apply from front-to-back. For all the side panels apply it up-and-down. This seems picky but Zaino claims that this helps with the shine. It's easy enough to do so why not follow the directions, right?Let it set for 20-30 mins (see http://tinyurl.com/448am for details of how long to wait based on temp and humidity). Basically, you wait till it hazes but is still wet. The "test" that Zaino recommends is to run your finger over a spot. If it comes off completely then it is ready to be removed. DO NOT LET IT DRY COMPLETELY OR IT WILL NOT WORK AS WELL!!!

Step 6: Remove the polish with one of your 100% USA cotton towels. I like to remove it in the exact same order I applied it. That's just my 0.02.

Step 7 - 7x: Continue over the rest of the car in this manner.

Step 8: At this point you've applied and removed your first coat of ZFX/Z-5. Now it is time to take a CLEAN detailing towel and go over the entire car with the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. You will do this between each coat.

Step 9: Now, using the other plastic mixing bottle mix ZFX with the Z-2 Polish. Same drill: 2oz of polish and 5 drops of ZFX. Cap and shake well for 2 mins. Let it sit for 10 mins, then before use shake it for another 10 secs.

Step 10: Apply this second mixture in exactly the same manner as before. Small, circular motions for the first application. Then re-apply by wiping it on. Front-to-back for horizontal surfaces, top-to-bottom for vertical surfaces.

Step 11 - 11x: Repeat for the rest of the car.

Step 12: Remove with a CLEAN 100% USA cotton towel. (You'll need many towels)

Step 13: At this point you've applied and removed your first application of ZFX/Z-2. Now it is time to take a CLEAN detailing towel and go over the entire car with the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer.

Step 14: Repeat Steps 5 through 13 for another "coat". Just use the same mixtures you have in the two bottles. You can do up to 3 coats in a single 24 hour period. Believe me, you will still have plenty of mixture left over after three coats. You can do more coats but it's good to take a break. I know many folks who apply 10 or more coats in a week. It is actually that easy to work with (and addictive, because each time you apply a coat your car will look noticeably better and better!). Don't forget to use the Z-6 gloss enhancer BETWEEN EACH APPLICATION, and not just between each "coat".

Don't forget to wash your bottles thorough when are done or they will be ruined after 12 hours!!

And that's it. Sounds like a lot of work. And the first time it is because you have to use the clay bar to get the best results. But after that (and for at least the next six months) you have a couple choices of how to use the product. Your first choice for regular maintenance is to use the Z-7 car wash, dry (100% made in USA cotton!!!), then go over the car with the Z-6 gloss enhancer. That will bring the shine back every time. Or, if you feel the need, you can apply more Z-2. Also, you do not need to use the Z-5 Swirl remover every time. You can just use the Z-2. But you must ALWAYS use the ZFX drops and make a mixture. The Z-2 and Z-5 won't work properly on their own.

I usually do the wash and gloss enhancer once a week (or whenever I wash). Then every couple months I'll go back over with the Z-2. After a year I'll redo the entire process (Dawn, clay bar, etc.). Some folks like to do both Z-5 and Z-2 every few months, but that is up to you. Like I said, it is addictive.

The reason the website is confusing is because Zaino used to only offer the Z-1 polish lock instead of the ZFX. The old process was to apply Z-1 on top of the Z-2 or Z-5 application, then let it cure. Now they have the ZFX additive so you don't need the Z-1 polish lock. The Z-1 did the same thing that ZFX did, but it took several hours for each application to cure or haze over. The ZFX is an additive that does the same thing as Z-1, but it is also a catalyst and will "activate" the Z-2 and Z-5 much more quickly. Because it is a catalyst is why you must thoroughly clean out the bottles before the ZFX ruins them. Make sense? With that understanding then the instructions on the website will seem much clearer I bet.

Also, I like to use the Z-6 gloss enhancer as a touch up spray (eg. before I go for a drive, or when I arrive at a car show). It's an expensive but effective touch up spray.

One more thing: All of these products are pricey. But the good news is that a single batch will last you a couple years or more if used properly. My single bottle of Z-6 gloss enhancer has lasted me two years so far, and it is only just starting to go empty. And I use it A LOT. Remember that less is more with this stuff. Using too much won't help. For example, two full sprays from the Z-6 bottle is enough to cover your ENTIRE CAR! Treat it all like concentrate and you'll do fine.

That's about it. If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line. Also, please feel free to call Sal or one of the guys at Zaino. They are real nice and real helpful. And do use the instructions on the website. It has lots more details and tips that I left out.

Again, it will be much easier once you get the products in hand and then start. After that you will find that it's a piece of cake and you'll want to do it over and over and over!!

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, microfiber towels are safer and more efficient than cotton.

Here is also some good reading on the Zaino procedure: http://autopia-carcare.com/zaino.html
Old 08-04-2004, 12:31 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Ya I'm about to start looking into microfiber. From what I've read so far I can say I'm probably about ready to switch over. But all my experience is with cotton and it has worked well, so that's why I stick to it in the writeup.

I can see how microfiber would be even more beneficial for darker colors. My Firebird is black that is just a killer in terms of maintenace. The Lt. Pewter on the Vette is MUCH easier to maintain.

Truth be told, regardless of color, if you really want to torture yourself then do all of your work under a white flourescent light. A yellow light will work well too. But white is easy to work in, but it also tells all. Aside from the washing, if you do all of the work listed above under a white flourescent light then you'll know for sure whether or not you "missed a spot". Remember in grade school when they were showing you how to brush your teeth and they gave you that stuff that made your teeth red everywhere you missed? White fl. light does the same thing.

l8r
Old 08-04-2004, 01:03 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

I can recommend some high quality, affordable microfiber towels if you are interested.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:27 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Definitely! I'd love to hear what you suggest. I've never used microfiber so I'm kind of at square one.

Do you use different types for general purpose, for cleaning, for touch up, for glass, etc.? I've read a couple articles about them, but any info you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thx
Old 08-04-2004, 03:04 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

You will never have a problem scratching your finish with good quality cotton towels, make sure they are made in the USA and you will be fine, keep your towels clean and they will last for some time. Having tested MF towels for over 4 years for Zaino all I will say is be careful, even MF towels from the same manufacturer maybe fine for a few batches, then we would see a bad lot of towels. If you are not sure take a CD and see if the MF towels will scratch the CD, if it scratches the CD it will probably leave marks on your finish. There are some new natural MF towels out that will not scratch and are approved for use with Zaino, they are DF Towels.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:06 PM
adolph
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your wrtie up you say to wash with Z7 first, clay and then wash with Dawn.......

I was under the impression that washing with dawn was the first step

Can some one clarify?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

There are thousands and thousands of people who use these microfiber towels without any marring problems. Here is an article: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=44 and I use and recommend towels from www.pakshak.com

Dawn is made for dishes; it should stay in the kitchen

A normal wash and clay, followed by a light polish or 50/50 water/alcohol rub down will get the finish ready for Zaino. I'm sure you'll get lots of argument about this
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 PM
timbuddy
Advanced

I use DF towels and they work great.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:11 PM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Originally Posted by adolph
In your wrtie up you say to wash with Z7 first, clay and then wash with Dawn.......

I was under the impression that washing with dawn was the first step

Can some one clarify?
It's not so much when you wash with Dawn, but just that you get a wash that removes all the old polishes and waxes and other stuff you've used previously.

I put in the step of washing with Z7 first because it was noted in my other post that I'd not mentioned to wash before the clay bar, which is necessary.

I suggested doing this first wash with Z7 because if you've got the kit, you already have it so why not use it. Mainly though you just need to wash before you claybar, then wash after you claybar before you start the process. It makes sense to me to do a regular wash first, then use the claybar, then use the Dawn to strip off all the old stuff.

Also, I prefer not to use the Dawn wash more than necessary. So that's the main reason I describe using a regular wash and a Dawn wash, rather washing with Dawn both times.

As ZaneO mentioned, you may prefer not to use Dawn. Personally I don't think it's so bad if it's just the one time every year just so you can get the old stuff off. But if you have another method that accomplishes the same thing that you feel comfortable with, then by all means go for that.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Gray Ghost
Safety Car

I agree with everything in the 14 step process outlined above except for one thing. #5 says to use the applicator in small circular motions. I never use anything on my car in circular motion because I am afraid it will eventually leave a swirl mark. I only use front to back on the horizantal surfaces and up and down on the vertical surfaces. Maybe I am being too ****, but that seems to work well for me.

The Gray Ghost
Old 08-05-2004, 09:39 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

The last question I asked before the mods canned the thread was whether or not you use the clay bar on the entire body or just in the spots that need attention?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:42 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Also, where can you commonly get the good cotton cloth towels? And suggested stores with brand of towels?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 AM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

Originally Posted by cerino2000
The last question I asked before the mods canned the thread was whether or not you use the clay bar on the entire body or just in the spots that need attention?
You should go ahead and do it on the entire car. Especially if this is your first time applying Zaino.

I've not really heard of someone using clay-bar as a "touch up" method. Clay-bar is something you do infrequently (say every six months or once a year). So, by the time the next one is due you may as well cover the whole car.

The exception would be if you got some serious bird dookie or bug impacts that you wanted to deep clean. Then I could see using clay-bar on just that area.

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Also, where can you commonly get the good cotton cloth towels? And suggested stores with brand of towels?
I usually stay away from Wal-Mart and Target kind of stores, and go to the more expensive stores like Dillard's, Macy's etc for the towels I use. However, I'm about to venture into the world of microfiber and purpose-specific detailing tools. One site I've built a "shopping list" from is http://store.auto-geek.net/index.html . They seem to have a lot of good stuff, and you can buy in bulk which is nice.

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2004, 11:46 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Great places for towels: www.pakshak.com - www.exceldetail.com - www.poorboysworld.com - www.autopia-carcare.com
Old 08-07-2004, 03:23 AM
SmoknLT4
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZaneO

Old 08-13-2004, 05:35 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

OK, got my kit today. The directions are a little misleading in one regard but if I am correct, the directions are actually a set of two. One for if you have the Zfx and one for if you don't. So, looks like wash, clay using cleaner 7 sprayed for lube, wash, polish 5, spray 6, polish 2, spray 6 and then you are good to go, correct?
Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 AM
SmokeyTirez
Pro

That's right. Just make sure that one of those first washes is a Dawn wash (or equivalent) and you're good to go.

Also, that process you describe constitutes a single Zaino application. With the exception of the Dawn wash and the clay bar treatment, you can feel free to add more coats of the polishes. It looks better and better with every coat! You'll see.

Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To How to use Zaino

Quick Reply: How to use Zaino