Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best Tire Dressing Product

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best Tire Dressing Product

The idea is to have a definitive list of Car Care products that can be brought up now and then for newbies, or people that want information on the products we like/use.

This category will strictly be for Tire Dressings only.
Please do not include Wheel & Tire Cleaners, as we will do a separate category for them later.

The results will not be scientific, but hopefully, if everyone answers honestly, without voting to promote a product they sell themselves, we can pool our collective knowledge and experience to help others make an informed choice.

The results will be archived, so anytime a new person inquires what product most of us like/use, it will be readily available. If there is a product you use that is not listed in the poll that you like, please feel free to add it, as the poll is open, and the initial number of poll choices is limited to 10.

Any comments are welcome within the body of the thread.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:43 PM
HTRK-1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (Z Factor)

The best, longest lasting tire dressing, I've ever used has to be meguiars endurance. You can either get it in high ot low gloss. Lasts a long time. I love the 303 for interior vinyl and trim.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:38 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (HTRK-1)

I use shoe polish. Kiwi Black is the only brand I have tried, but others may work just as well. Years ago, Turtle wax sold a vinly top (remember those) wax that was like a big can of black shoe polish. It was applied with a foam aplicator and when it dried for a while, you shined it up with a shoe brush. It was also good for tires. My can ran out and they don't make it anymore, so I tried shoe polish and it appears to be the same stuff. This is more work than the spray on stuff, but in my opinion, is a hundred times better. Does not make your tires look wet, just makes them look new. They are black and have a satin finish which lasts much longer than any of the liquid or gel solutions. After washing the car, you can just go over them with the brush to spiff them up.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (HTRK-1)

The best, longest lasting tire dressing, I've ever used has to be meguiars endurance.
While it looks nice, Endurance is by far the messy-iest stuff used and slings onto the car for days. Stoners More Shine Less Time looks similar and has very little slinging, and 303 Protectant has a satin finish but seems to dry very well with no slinging. They all seem to have some compromises.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Planefixer
Instructor

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (Killrwheels)

I've ruined 2 pairs of pants because I lightly brushed up against my tires while I was detailing the car that had the meguiars endurance gel. Nothing will get the stains off. I stopped using it. I bought some turtle wax 2001 foam but have only tried it once so really can't report on it other than it was alot easier to apply than the meguiars. The only problem with the foam sprays are that you have to go back and wipe the wheels of any overspray. I used to use the meguiars professional vinyl and rubber cleaner conditioner #40 with good results. Another thing I didnt like about the gel was it was hard to get into the nooks and crannies of the raised lettering sometimes as opposed to a spray.

[Modified by Planefixer, 9:27 PM 2/16/2004]
Old 02-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Zaino Z-16
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
ScottZ
Racer

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (Killrwheels)

While it looks nice, Endurance is by far the messy-iest stuff used and slings onto the car for days. Stoners More Shine Less Time looks similar and has very little slinging, and 303 Protectant has a satin finish but seems to dry very well with no slinging. They all seem to have some compromises.
Looks great and smells nice too, but the spin-off is amongst the worst of any tire dressing I have ever used.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Marauder
Racer

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (ScottZ)

I am very happy with the Meguar's Endurance. I did not see the problem with the stuff being flung off of the tire.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

I use the Maguiars high endurance and let it dry overnight. I've never had any problems with spin-off.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 AM
WAYWRONG
Pro

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (Marauder)

Over the years i have tryed many different products some attracted dirt and dust some didnt last some always slung and ended up on the paint.I now just use car wash soap with a wash mit (deadcated for tires and wheels only).People still ask me what dressing i use because my tires always look good. They dont have the wet look but i dont care for that anyway.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (WAYWRONG)

Aerospace 303 keeps them looking new without a real wet look either.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:56 AM
CRWDDYZ
Burning Brakes

I just applied EnduraLast Tire Coating. This a two part system, a cleaner and then the coating. The coating is a black liquid. Company says the tires look great for up to 18 months and withstand carwashes, driving etc. They also clain no spin off. It was simple to apply, about 30 minutes for 2 coats that they reccomend.

I will add some pics soon. Here is the website. Only available through them for $ 19.99. Enough to do maybe six tires...go figure. I hope it works as good as they claim. I would love to only have to do the tires every 18 months

http://www.lord.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=231
Old 04-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Homer2000SSEi
Advanced

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (skybolt31)

I suppose since this is about "tire dressing" and not protection, maybe I shouldnt point this out, but I have to. Rubber tires need protection from the world. The "ingredients" used actually leach out their "blackness" and without proper care this peads to a breakdown of the material. Sorry if this is too technical ,but I cant find the exact article right now - . Tire care should include protecting them, unless yours never see the sun or air or that isnt a concern. I do not know the ingredients of shoe polish, but can;t imagine that was a concern when created.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:29 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had a bottle of Zaino Z16 still un-opened from my last Zaino order and I finally got around to using it. I applied it with a paint brush then wiped the excess off with an old t-shirt. The tires look great, not to shiney (phony) but just right.

Tom
Old 04-10-2004, 04:33 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

I've used Tyre Slik, Tyre Shine and Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing.

You may not be familiar with these products, as I'm in the UK. However, I've found that anything that actually applies a coating to the tyrewall will spatter onto the paint as soon as you start driving. Also, if you apply slightly too much (easily done), it can make cleaning the wheels difficult at the next wash (it smears grease-like when you sponge the wheels down).

I'm using Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing right now because I love the jet black, deep satin shine that it give the tyres. It does spatter onto paint, but I just wipe it off after the first drive and then it's ok. It's applied with a trigger-action spray... you just spray it on and walk away.

Tyre Shine was an excellent product, but it didn't last more than a couple of days. It was unique in that it cleaned the tyrewall rather than coating it. It was a white foam that lifted of the dirt. Again, it was very simple to apply... just spray-on and walk away. Because it simply cleaned the tyrewall, the tyres looked exactly like new when they were done and there was no coating to spatter onto paintwork.

As someone said above, it's all about compromise with tyre dressings.

Cheers,
Ian.

[Modified by i_york, 9:36 PM 4/10/2004]
Old 04-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Booger
6th Gear

If you think endurance has sling off, go try some black magic gel.

That is the absolute worst product I have ever used on tires. Sling off was horrible I've tried several, and still like the Black magic spray. Best technique is to spray on a wax applicator foam, then apply. The enduance doesnt seem to sling very bad compared to black magic gel. I apply all tire dressings with a foam applicator pad and wipe it into the tire, then go back over them for another round if need be, and to get excess off..

Eagle 1 spray seemed to work pretty well also.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
LT4Coupe
Pro

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping the tire dressing of the car cover?
I've stopped using a tire product because it gets on the cover.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Tire Dressing Product

Old 04-19-2004, 10:05 PM
IrishFan
Instructor

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (skybolt31)

I use shoe polish.
I must admit, I thought skybolt31 was smoking something when he suggested shoe polish.

Then I decided to try shoe polish this weekend and the tires look great!

I try to avoid dressings because most of them contain petroleum distillates and tire care manuals indicates that these chemicals can actually damage the rubber. The manuals suggest usin dressings that are silicone based...but I have not been able to locate such a product at local stores.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:54 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (IrishFan)

Are you sure shoe polish doesn't contain silicone?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:47 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Best Tire Dressing Product (LT4Coupe)

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping the tire dressing of the car cover?
I've stopped using a tire product because it gets on the cover.
Use something like Aerospace 303 that doesn't leave a layer of glop on your tires. Then to be sure, give the tires quick wipe after the stufff has been on the tires 20 minutes or so.

Quick Reply: Best Tire Dressing Product