Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Should I use the Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:19 PM
capeangler
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use the Clay bar

I am planning on going thorugh the complete Zaino Process on a new Vette. DO I ,,,or should I still do the clay bar . or Should I skip the clay bar step ?

Thanks
:confused:
Old 10-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Default Re: Should I use the Clay bar (capeangler)

First of all, congrats on the new Vette :cheers:. Surface preparation is key to a good shine. Do the clay bar the very first time before you put on any Zaino. Do the following steps to detail the paint (will take about 6 hours total):
1. Wash car with Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent to remove the wax put on by dealer/previous owner.
2. Clay bar (see instructions below on how to do this safely)
3. Wash car with car wash (I use and like Z7 very much)
4. Dry car thoroughly.
5. Apply either Z5 (with couple drops of ZFX mixed in) or Z2 (with ZFX mixed in). Apply very thin coat! Should be able to Zaino entire vette in using 1oz or less.
6. Let dry (about 30 mins - depending on humidity)
7. Buff to remove Zaino coat - stand back and admire the shine.
8. Spray on Z6 detailer on a small section and dry - stand back and admire the shine some more.
9. If you have any energy left, you can repeat steps 5 thru 8 upto 3 times in a 24 hour period.
10. For future applications of Zaino, you need to do steps 3 thru 8/9.

Below are very helpful instructions on how to clay bar I had copy/pasted from someone's thread on this forum. I can't remember who it was to give that person proper credit for the excellent instructions (I think it was MilYellow02):
Cut less than a 2" section of the clay and knead it into a pancake. Make sure your hands are clean. Set the bar on a clean towel or similar so nothing adheres to the clay. Now wash your car with dawn and while it is wet this is a great time to clay. Do one panel at a time. Never use a circular motion with the bar. Skate front to back or vice versa and do not use a lot of pressure (just let the clay bar do all the work) Take a bottle of Quick Detailer spray and really get the panel you are working on very wet and spray down the bar as well and 'skate' away. After each panel, knead the bar to start with a clean part of the clay. Also after each section, go ahead and rinse the panel with water to keep from having water spots. After you are done claying, wash the car again and dry with a Fieldcrest Made in the USA 100% cotton towel or similar and apply your favorite wax. If you have swirls marks or webbed surface scratches on the paint, let me know before you get started and I can help you with them.
Note *The key is make sure the surface you are working on is very wet
Note *Only do this on a clean and cool surface
Note *If you drop the bar, throw it away immediately (do not try to knead to a clean section)
Note *Check the bar from time to time to make sure nothing has embedded into it
Note *Do not use a circular motion
Old 10-10-2003, 11:38 PM
capeangler
Heel & Toe

thanks for the input really appreciate it .. I am not sure what is meant by kneading the the clay Bar .. once I get some it might makes sense then,,,but I have never seen it ,,, is it like a dough that you Knead or am I way off base . I will recieve my Zaino car kit this Tuesday . I am obviously very concerned about doing this to a car that is only a week old .. Maybe I should do one of my daily car first and practice
:) thanks again for all your help
Old 10-11-2003, 02:19 PM
DSTJ99
Burning Brakes

Kneading the claybar refers to reshaping it so the dirty side is folded inwards. It tends to flatten out to your car's surface shape and you will have to keep reforming the clay. This in turn, brings out a clean side of the claybar. I clayed my entire car with one bar(kit has two) and it still has life left in it. Will be moving it to one of the lesser cars soon.

The whole process sounds so complicated but its rather easy once you start it. Zaino is very very easy to put on. I love it.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:21 PM
capeangler
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Should I use the Clay bar (DSTJ99)

thanks , I recieve my Zaino kit this coming week ,, and I am really excited about it .. It really helps to have people out there that not only understand , But are willing to help ... It gives me confidence

thanks again :cheers:
Old 10-13-2003, 06:15 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

For best results, on prep., use the claybar.
tony
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Should I use the Clay bar

Quick Reply: Should I use the Clay bar