Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns....

Been using Zaino according to the directions, for about 5 years now. The shine is good and lasts a long time, but :

1. If you get some on the rubber trim pieces like around doors and headlights...it turns the black on the rubber , white-ish which is hard to get black again. With many other popular brands, you can go right over the black rubber trim with no adverse affects.

2. It doesnt come off as easy as some other popular brands .

3. It is at least twice the cost of many other popular brands that give a comparable shine.

4. Im a little leary about how much a consumer is paying toward the marketing and advertising of Zaino , since it seems to be hyped quite a bit.

Currently, I havent written Zaino off of my list of products that i use, but , id appreciate some replies to these concerns. Thanks.

Dave
Old 08-19-2003, 11:11 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns.... (Rumpity Rump)

Been using Zaino according to the directions, for about 5 years now. The shine is good and lasts a long time, but :

1. If you get some on the rubber trim pieces like around doors and headlights...it turns the black on the rubber , white-ish which is hard to get black again. With many other popular brands, you can go right over the black rubber trim with no adverse affects.

2. It doesnt come off as easy as some other popular brands .

3. It is at least twice the cost of many other popular brands that give a comparable shine.

4. Im a little leary about how much a consumer is paying toward the marketing and advertising of Zaino , since it seems to be hyped quite a bit.

Currently, I havent written Zaino off of my list of products that i use, but , id appreciate some replies to these concerns. Thanks.

Dave

Zaino spends almost nothing in advertising, there is no magizine advertising, it's sold more from word of mouth. Zaino costs less than most of the other top 10 products like P21S, Pinnacle & Zymol, Zaino does cost more than Mother's or Meguiar's Gold Class, of course a single coat will last for months and not weeks, and most Zaino users get 15-30 applications from a 13 dollar bottle of Z-2. I have many older customers that tell me how easy it is to apply and remove, I have never found it hard to apply or remove, and I have left it on the car for days already. I have not had any staining of black rubber or plastic parts, and I have not heard any customers complain about plastic or rubber staining. Sorry you do not like Zaino but I do not agree with some of your findings, but Zaino is not for everybody, there are many good car care products, be sure to try them all. :)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Chris Hohne
Burning Brakes

I have using Zaino Bros products for 5 years and I have not had the "concerns" you have.

One of the benefits of Zaino Bros to me is the lack of staining on black rubber/vinyl trim pieces. Previously I had a car that I got some Meguiars polish on the black vinyl trim and in the 4 years I had the car, it never came off. So I beg to differ on the "other popular brands" not staining. I have had my customers tell me similar results with Meguiars and Mothers, but no staining Zaino Bros

I find Zaino buffs off much easier than any other product I have used - especially Zymol. My customers tell me the same thing. After letting the Zaino Bros dry, I have tossed a towel across the hood and had half the polish buff off.

Have you priced Pinnacle? And I only polish my daily driver once a year with Zaino Bros. Getting 10-12 coats per bottle, that's about $1/year. I can't think of any cheaper. I had to polish with Meguiars 3-4 times per year using most of a $6 bottle to keep the shine.

Zaino pays little (if any) towards advertising. I am a distributor and I spend 0 on advertising. All I need is word of mouth, people seeing my cars, and independent magazine tests. I see an awful lot of Zymol, Meguiars, and Mothers ads everywhere I look - that has to add to the cost.

I'm sorry your experiences differ from mine. These are just my personal experiences.

Chris
Old 08-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns.... (Chris Hohne)

Thanks for your replies. I regret that your findings and your customers findings of Zaino...are different than the genuine factual concerns i have raised . ; I would not have raised them if they were not true in my particular circumstance. I have found a couple other brands that equal or outshine Zaino -- one of them is Formula 113. I find this product much easier to remove and does a nice job on 'MY' rubber, plastic, metal trim including windows. It is considerably less than Zaino and comes in a bigger bottle and i find i dont have to use any more of it per application, than the Zaino.

Im happy that your results using Zaino are different than mine. I shall use up the remaining Zaino i have , then experiment with a few more brands and compare to Zaino.

Dave
Old 08-21-2003, 07:57 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

There are many products that will shine as well as Zaino, or most other car care products, you can produce a great shine by using olive oil, and no I am not kidding, in carnauba wax products the more oil in the product the better your shine will be. The above are your concerns and opinions, we all have opinions and like different products, car owners have different needs and wants in the products they use. The product you talk about above being cheaper than Zaino, according to their web site their product sells for $19.95 for 12 ozs (that is $1.66 per oz) Z-2 is $12.95 per 8 ozs ($1.61 per oz) , so the price is very close, of course their product will last for weeks, and Zaino will last for months, so if you use their product and have to wax 8-10 times a year compared to 2-3 times a year, I do not understand how that is cheaper in the long run. I do not know why your black plastic trim turned white, I have not had that happen on any of my cars since I switched from Meguiar's products that our shops used to use.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns.... (hcvone)

Did thier website say that ' i would have to wax 8-10 times per year ' with thier product....and that 'it will last only weeks and not months' ???? This is called a StrawMan argument you made and it is disengenuous. Have you PERSONALLY put this particular product to the longevity shine test ?? I doubt it. I plan on experimenting with this product and a couple others. At this point , im not convinced...at all that it lasts weeks and not months --frankly i find that part of the Zaino Hype . I have used this product on other cars i own at it shines a long time. I also find it a good cleaner as im using it on the paint. In the event that it was just Zaino Hype and it does last longer than 'a few weeks'...then it will be cheaper to use per application than your synopsis proposes. I believe thier to be a tremendous profit in the markup of
wax/polish products by manufacturers and im not convinced that the higher price means a better product necessarily.

Dave

Old 08-21-2003, 11:00 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I have personally tested the product you talked about in your above post, several times, it offers almost no durablity, it is not a wax it's a cleaner glaze, it does shine good due to the high oil content. We had 36 shops and we used and tested many products, we were Meguiar's largest end user in the US for 10 straigtht years. Test these products for yourself. As to the "Zaino hype" do you think people would keep using a product that does not work for them? You claim to have used Zaino for 5 years, do you use it for the hype?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:47 AM
denali
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

:leaving: :leaving: :skep: :hurray: :iagree:
Old 08-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

You obviously have not researched Forumula 113 very carefully. You said 'it is not a wax....it is a cleaner/glaze' ; how come you didnt notice that it has mostly pure Caranuba Wax in it if it isnt a wax (according to you) ? This is more Zaino hype from someone who feels a need to discredit everything else...as if Zaino was let down from Heaven on a shoestring.

As to why i used Zaino initially ??? : I tried it because of the hype i read about in here and seeing the glossy cars on Zainos website . As to why i continued using for about 5 years ? : I liked the shine and i was under the assumption that it was the best all- round product for its application, based mostly on the hype i heard . I have recently come to question that, which is prompting me to look at other leading brands . I may conclude that Zaino IS the product for me to stay with, but i wont know until i perform my own tests instead of relying mostly on hype as the basis. Im sure youll agree that this is a rational way to proceed dont you ....or should i be thrown out of The Forum and condemned for the sheer audacity to suggest that there might be other comparable products ?
Old 08-21-2003, 03:53 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

There is no comparison from **** to Zaino. Zaino is superior in every catagory from my personal experience...
Old 08-21-2003, 05:50 PM
KLO
Safety Car

I have tried 113, it has zero durability, you literally will have to re-apply it after each wash job, something I am not into. I do not see anywhere on the web site about the wax having any carnauba content, even if it did the carnauba content of most any off the shelf wax is only 4 or 5 percent of the entire container. It is a high silicone product, and abrasives, I do know that.
It is also a powerful cleaner product, to do all that is listed below it has to be, I would only use it on an older paint finish that needs help, like an old 60 model car with tired paint.

Absolutely no dust or powdery residue.

Wipes on and off easily. Can be applied in direct sunlight.

Makes your car look like new.

Can be applied to the entire car at one time.

No reason to remove immediately.

Won't cake up in emblems or lettering.

Dries clear in cracks and crevices.

Seals finish to protect against acid rain, UVA/UVB ultra-violet rays.

For all car finishes, enhances any finish new or old.

Restores original luster and beauty.

Removes heavy to light oxidation, fast and easy.

Removes Swirl Marks, Scratches, Old Wax Build-Up, Dead Paint, Blemishes, Bird Droppings, Bugs, and Tar.

Restores most black plastic trim and rubber moldings.

Shines chrome, cleans windows.

Safe for all finishes and Clear Coats. Body Shop Safe.

Restores vinyl lettering. Contains no harsh abrasives.

For hand or machine use. For Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, RV's, Planes, Trucks, Die-Cast Model Cars and More!

Old 08-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns.... (agentf1)

Thanks for your subjective opinion . Unfortunately, it seems next to impossible to get real objective evidence that Zaino is 'the best'. Other than a nice shine that lasts 'x' amount of time...how does one ascertain if it is truly the best product out there ? I think the answer to that, is, its done mostly by hype from people who are convinced that it is the best based on thier subjective opinion---sort of circular reasoning isnt it. If the litmus test was : SHINE...then id have to vote this Formula 113 product the best so far that ive tried. To me, it outshines Zaino , by a little. If the litmus test was :Longlasting Shine and Durability...how does one accurately determine when the shine is gone/going and when the durability has ceased in an objective manner ??? Again...its all subjectivity...(in the eyes of the beholder). Can something like a Polish or a Wax be accurately called 'the best' using an objective frame of reference ? Id like to know the answer. I dont think it should be based on the concensus of the public as many times in history the consensus has been wrong. For the folks who make a living off of selling Zaino in this Forum : What is the objective imperical evidence /product composition , that the industry uses to determine how well a product rates ???

Im not trying to flame here...im just trying to determine if Zaino really IS all thats its cracked up to be. If it is, then ill give it my worship again !

Dave

Old 08-22-2003, 07:09 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

RR, not trying to give you a hard time, but all I do is test competitors products against Zaino everyday, we test shine, durablity, water beading, easy of application and removal, we test products most people never heard of. We lab test products to see what percentage of items different products contain, this is expensive to do but knowing what your competitors are doing is important in business. :)
Old 08-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

HC,

I had no idea you were that involved in the technical side of the industry ; so., how is shine and durability measured and evaluated , scientifically ? Can u post the scientific findings so we can all be assured that Zaino is, in fact, the best ? And..can u list the percentages of Zainos composition versus the other leading brands ,which clearly shows that it is superior to the competition ? If you could, that would certainly do it for me as a skeptic . Of course....if this is very confidential information which you cannot share , then i guess we will just have to settle for hearsay and what we 'think' our eyes are telling us based on subjectivity.

Thanks. RR.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns.... (KLO)

KLO

How come you didnt read the back of the bottle of Forumula 113 which clearly says it has the highest content of pure caranuba wax in it , ....since youve tried it ???!! (Would you like me to state what it REALLY says ?) . Secondly...ive never seen Forumula 113 'on the shelf' and ive been in many auto stores ; i got mine thru thier website . Further, even if a product is mass marketed , how does that diminish its effectiveness ? Going with your off the shelf reasoning...we shouldnt buy anything from a store .

Im glad Forumula 113 has cleaning agents in it ; i want periodic contaminants removed each time. This makes it ideal as a ONE step process instead of having to spend hundreds of dollars on everything from Z1 to Z50.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:23 AM
KLO
Safety Car

KLO

How come you didnt read the back of the bottle of Forumula 113 which clearly says it has the highest content of pure caranuba wax in it , ....since youve tried it ???!! (Would you like me to state what it REALLY says ?) . Secondly...ive never seen Forumula 113 'on the shelf' and ive been in many auto stores ; i got mine thru thier website . Further, even if a product is mass marketed , how does that diminish its effectiveness ? Going with your off the shelf reasoning...we shouldnt buy anything from a store .

Im glad Forumula 113 has cleaning agents in it ; i want periodic contaminants removed each time. This makes it ideal as a ONE step process instead of having to spend hundreds of dollars on everything from Z1 to Z50.
Pertaining to "off the shelf" I wan not making a direct reference to 113, I was talking about normal products like Meguiars and Mothers.

The sample I had was not in the original packaging, the 113 web site has been changed recently, the web site may have used to say it contained carnauba, but that wording has been removed. How do you define the "highest content"? I test products constantly as does Carl, what we test normally does not come in the retail packaging. Do you know what DMS is???? better find out before you flame me is all I am saying.

You should know if you have been using Zaino as long as you say, you know you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on Zaino, that is just not right. Most of my customers buy a kit for 39.80 (before ZFX came out) which contains Z-1 which will last a couple of years, Z-2 good for 15 to 20 coats, Z-6 good for 20 to 30 details, and z-7 good for weekly car washings for 6 months.

[Modified by KLO, 8:26 AM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:32 AM
RockeVette95
Pro

Rumpity Rump
On this forum you're in a losing battle the Z distributors will throw out all kind of ludicrous ideas and theory as to why Zaino is the best product on the planet. (and it won't melt or wash off your car :lolg: ) however there has been a slow decent of people switching over to products i.e. Pinnacle Mequiars 3M and other carnauba based products and finding out all the false propaganda about them has been wrong ie durability shine etc. Carnauba product are by far the chosen product of professional detailers and concourse level show people. It really is subjective and I think lately as people wade through all the hype they are starting to choose product that suit them the best. Have a good one :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns....

Old 08-22-2003, 10:45 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

HC,

I had no idea you were that involved in the technical side of the industry ; so., how is shine and durability measured and evaluated , scientifically ? Can u post the scientific findings so we can all be assured that Zaino is, in fact, the best ? And..can u list the percentages of Zainos composition versus the other leading brands ,which clearly shows that it is superior to the competition ? If you could, that would certainly do it for me as a skeptic . Of course....if this is very confidential information which you cannot share , then i guess we will just have to settle for hearsay and what we 'think' our eyes are telling us based on subjectivity.

Thanks. RR.

First there is no "best product" out there, people have different needs and drive in different conditions, what might be best for you does not work for someone else. If you have used Zaino for 5 years like you say you would know how long it lasts compared to other products you used. Most of our testing other than lab testing is not scientific, it's having customers look and comment on what area looks best to them on a test car, what still beads water after a week, two weeks and so on, measuring water beads for size to see how a product breaks down and so on. I would not say our findings are confidential, but we have put together several hundred pages of our findings over the past 4 years. I will tell you this, I was lucky enough in business to retire before I was 40 selling our Detail businesses and Tool and Die companies, I have personally tested most every product on the market today because I have the means and time to do that, as soon as I find a product that is better than what I use now it will be on my cars, and I would stop selling Zaino that day (I only started selling Zaino for something to do on the side, I was bored at the time, I never dreamed that I would need to hire fulltime workers to keep up with our sales, I am just one of many distributors) If you ever get in the Phila area contact me, I would be happy to share my findings with you in person and show you how we test different products. I am not here to convince you to use Zaino or any other product, as I said you should try all the products out there and see what is best for you, I answered this post at the start because the feed back we get from our customers is very different from your findings. :)
Old 08-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns.... (RockeVette95)

Rocke,

Yes...thats what im coming to realize as those that make a living off of selling Zaino, continue to dialogue with me.

KLO,

Allow me to read directly off the Formula 113 bottle which i am holding in my left hand : " CONTAINS THE PUREST OF BRAZILIAN CARANUBA WAX AVAILABLE" . Next time you discredit another popular brand, make sure you are not lying and get your facts straight.

Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

HC,

Glad youre making a good living off of Zaino. What im looking for (instead of a biased philisophical opinion based on peoples subjectivity), is, for someone who does actual objective testing ....to post the comparative scientific results . You indicate that you have such results, but, i have to go to Philadelphia to get them from you ??? Pretty unlikely that id do that but i think you already knew that.

So far., what ive gotton from those on this thread who are Pro-Zaino , is nothing but hype, what happy Zaino customers are saying, what happy Zaino salespeople are saying, absolute false info on at least one other competitors wax (Formula 113)...and without ONE shred of scientific evidence / a chemists evaluation / or a detailed comparative study of percentile composition amongst Zaino and leading brands.

If you can gather up something much more convincing...please post it . There seems to be an abundance of people who love Zaino, but the same can be said for Meguires, Liquid Glass, Formula 113, Performance Choice Wax Products thru Mid America, and Pinnacle.

Lets have some ephirical evidence that Zaino should be used, and not the others.

Dave

Quick Reply: I like Zaino very much..but i have some concerns....