Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Mother's Ultra Hybrid Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 11:35 AM
KRS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mother's Ultra Hybrid Ceramic Coating

Has anyone used this? would you recommend it?
Old 12-19-2023, 09:53 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,485 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Are you talking about the meguiars one?

There's so many "ceramic" products out there now, it's tough to really keep track of what's what anymore. The meguiars by rid ceramic coating appears to be fairly similar to the hybrid ceramic spray wax. Maybe it has a higher amount of ceramic in it, tough to really say.

Here's my take, on all these products. There are 3 types of "ceramic' products.

1) Hybrid Ceramic products - these are just synthetic sealants that have some ceramic in them. That's not to say they aren't good products, many of them are great. These IMO work best for garage queens, toys, and cars that get washed fairly regularly. If you like to start your weekend washing the car, these are for you.

2) Ceramic Sprays- these get a little blurry with product category 1. In a strict sense, these should be heavily diluted ceramic coatings with a crapload of solvents to make it so you can just spray it on. In theory, you should get some sort of a ceramic layer, though because the heavy dosing of solvents to make it spray, the layer will be thinner. These feel less scary to start out with than a true glass bottle coating, but really aren't. That said, I suspect a lot of these products really fall more into product type 1, or at least have some synthetic sealant in them as well. In theory these could last quite a while, of the solvent levels are low enough, but then they're harder to apply. I don't really know who these are best for, because in theory they're a middle ground. I've heard of people using these as a maintenance coating over a glass bottle one? Maybe they're good for.use.on wheels? As a trial to see if you're gonna do a full glass bottle one? I dunno, I haven't had an excuse to use mine.

3) Ceramic Coatings (glass bottle) - these are the real coatings, where you wipe it on, it flashes off solvents, and you level it out. These have the longest durability, and typically help keep the vehicles looking cleaner longer. IMO they're best suited to daily drivers parked outside that you don't want to wash as often. If you wash your car weekly and top off with something once a month before cars & coffee, this is a waste for you.

Anyways, I'd just think about what you want out of it and go from there. The Meguiars product is likely a fine product that will last for 6-12 months or so. I used their hybrid ceramic spray wax and was really impressed, there's been a definite performance jump in spray products over the past few years vs things like the old NXT spray wax and others.
Old 12-19-2023, 03:38 PM
KRS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No I am talking about the Mother's brand........Google it to see which one I am talking about....it comes in a yellow container with black and white lettering
Old 12-28-2023, 03:28 PM
BmoreRnsDeep
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I really like the Mothers Ceramic trim product. It seemed to shine better than even GTecniq's trim ceramic for me.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:03 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Are you talking about the meguiars one?

There's so many "ceramic" products out there now, it's tough to really keep track of what's what anymore. The meguiars by rid ceramic coating appears to be fairly similar to the hybrid ceramic spray wax. Maybe it has a higher amount of ceramic in it, tough to really say.

Here's my take, on all these products. There are 3 types of "ceramic' products.

1) Hybrid Ceramic products - these are just synthetic sealants that have some ceramic in them. That's not to say they aren't good products, many of them are great. These IMO work best for garage queens, toys, and cars that get washed fairly regularly. If you like to start your weekend washing the car, these are for you.

2) Ceramic Sprays- these get a little blurry with product category 1. In a strict sense, these should be heavily diluted ceramic coatings with a crapload of solvents to make it so you can just spray it on. In theory, you should get some sort of a ceramic layer, though because the heavy dosing of solvents to make it spray, the layer will be thinner. These feel less scary to start out with than a true glass bottle coating, but really aren't. That said, I suspect a lot of these products really fall more into product type 1, or at least have some synthetic sealant in them as well. In theory these could last quite a while, of the solvent levels are low enough, but then they're harder to apply. I don't really know who these are best for, because in theory they're a middle ground. I've heard of people using these as a maintenance coating over a glass bottle one? Maybe they're good for.use.on wheels? As a trial to see if you're gonna do a full glass bottle one? I dunno, I haven't had an excuse to use mine.

3) Ceramic Coatings (glass bottle) - these are the real coatings, where you wipe it on, it flashes off solvents, and you level it out. These have the longest durability, and typically help keep the vehicles looking cleaner longer. IMO they're best suited to daily drivers parked outside that you don't want to wash as often. If you wash your car weekly and top off with something once a month before cars & coffee, this is a waste for you.

Anyways, I'd just think about what you want out of it and go from there. The Meguiars product is likely a fine product that will last for 6-12 months or so. I used their hybrid ceramic spray wax and was really impressed, there's been a definite performance jump in spray products over the past few years vs things like the old NXT spray wax and others.
AS a pro detailer that was a Ceramic coating nerd, if you will this is an excellent post.
There is a ton of junk out there in Hybrid and Spray On's none of which I tested to be honest was not worth a damn.
Go with #3 in his post.
My show winning favorite is Feynlabs, it just kicks butt over anything else on the market. Most if not all Ceramics give an OK shine and self cleaning properties, the Feynlab product adds depth to the paint, something they all miss.That depth was noticed by my customers and loved it.
As a pro detailer I needed an edge over my competition, especially when Ceramic Pro simply flooded the market with a mediocre product and every detailer on the planet was using it. More often than not customers came in for Ceramic Pro as it was the defacto standard due to their marketing, but I had a C6 bumper up on my wall that showed the differences in products and 90% of the time the customers chose Feynlabs over other Ceramics I offered.
The following users liked this post:
CamarosRus (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 09:51 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
…the Feynlab product adds depth to the paint, something they all miss.
And this is where the subjective nature of ‘appearance’ becomes evident. Used Zaino for years…Z2, Z5, ZFX, AIO, Clear Seal, etc.

Have also used a few versions of Feynlab ceramic. To my eyes, Feynlab & Zaino looked VERY similar; bright, brilliant, glossy…and somewhat lacking in depth and ‘richness’.

I once did 3 *identical* red Ford vehicles and coated them with Feynlab Ceramic V2, Gyeon Syncro (original version) & Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM.

Parked side by side, the Feynlab was noticeably ‘brighter’ than the other 2 but relatively shallow, especially in comparison to the Kamikaze which looked deeper and richer…a bit more of a ‘wax’ look. Syncro was somewhere in between but again, totally subjective. Some folks I asked liked the brightness of Feynlab, many liked the Kamikaze look.

Point being, after trying 40+ true coatings over the years, *best* based on appearance alone (given equal prep where 90% of final look is determined) is an undefined and somewhat fruitless quest; best *for you* however is something only your eyes can determine.

As with anything, YMMV.
The following 3 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
BmoreRnsDeep (01-02-2024), CamarosRus (12-31-2023), leebay (01-03-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Mother's Ultra Hybrid Ceramic Coating

Quick Reply: Mother's Ultra Hybrid Ceramic Coating