Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Garage protection from toddlers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 07:44 AM
Stoianoff31
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Garage protection from toddlers

GM Guys,

Curious as to what others have done. I have a 2.5 car garage that’s unavoidably shared by a 3 yr old and 1 yr old. What have others done to protect their corvette from bicycles, strollers and clumsiness?

Yes I’m considering a lift but would rather do something less expensive if it yields similar results without too much inconvenience.

thanks!

Old 12-11-2023, 08:41 AM
sonicss33
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 161 Posts

Park the Corvette along side a bare wall then build a short 3’ barrier wall on the opposite side. This would limit any access to the car and could be easily removed once the kids are older. Or an outdoor car cover. Those are typically a little thicker material.
The following users liked this post:
Stoianoff31 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:55 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,474 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I don't have any good ideas, but I'm interested. My 2 year old doesn't go in the garage without us, but it's still a concern as he gets older.

Maybe an indoor cocoon bubble? Would make it a pain to get in and drive it though.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:16 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Our kids stayed out of the garage. We kept their stuff in a large shed (single car garage sized) so not to come near vehicles. It worked
Old 12-18-2023, 12:33 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

There is a good black market for kids that age and you can get enough to get another vette and expand the garage or add a new one.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:13 PM
joekd
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

My kids are adults now but honestly any car cover is just going to help minimize damage but it is still possible

Years ago I had one of my Mustangs in the garage covered with a covercraft outdoor cover, pulled off the cover to find a perfectly circular dnt in the front fender the exact size of a scooter or bicycle handlebar. To this day neither of my kids will confess who did it.

The half wall is a great suggestion or a completely separate storage area for the car.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:23 PM
Stoianoff31
Intermediate

I think I am leaning towards a retractable dog gate. Anchor one side to the wall and the other to a heavy mount on lockable caster wheels. Joys of children
Old 12-18-2023, 02:01 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoianoff31
I think I am leaning towards a retractable dog gate. Anchor one side to the wall and the other to a heavy mount on lockable caster wheels. Joys of children

By the way, nice rare color. I was vette-less when our son was young so I didn't have to take those precautions. Last year I sold our previous vette after ordering a C8. About a week after getting the C8 I drove down the street and a neighbor flagged me down to see the car. His wife then strolled out with the toddler and the toddler ran to the car and put both hands on it. All the parents said was that he liked cars. Fortunately, he only left hand prints and no sticky mess or scratches. I guess I may have your problems if we ever have grandkids.
Stoianoff31 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 02:09 PM
Stoianoff31
Intermediate

Thank you, took me almost 5 yeas to find in manual. Its a 2018 and I'm told (by the dealer) 1 of 8 built as a manual Z in black rose metallic.

I think I've accepted the fact that they will do SOMETHING to it. I consider my wife just as much of a hazard.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:28 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

My oldest is 2, he's already figured out how the gates work. He has somfsr, chosen not to open the gate and tumble down our stairs.

I park my Vette in the furthest area of the garage from the door (our single bay is furthest away). We don't let the kids into the garage unsupervised, because of chemicals and such.

Ultimately I think your best bet is to.organize the garage in such a way that it minimizes the risk to your car. Outside of that, PPF the whole damn thing and be glad it isn't metal and can't get dings.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:09 AM
Stoianoff31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FAUEE
My oldest is 2, he's already figured out how the gates work. He has somfsr, chosen not to open the gate and tumble down our stairs.

I park my Vette in the furthest area of the garage from the door (our single bay is furthest away). We don't let the kids into the garage unsupervised, because of chemicals and such.

Ultimately I think your best bet is to.organize the garage in such a way that it minimizes the risk to your car. Outside of that, PPF the whole damn thing and be glad it isn't metal and can't get dings.
we actually lock ours in the garage unsupervised with leaking chemicals in the 5th bay. He learned how to pick locks but knows that’s only for emergency situations.

I think I’ll swap out my C7Z to full fiberglass to avoid dings and organize my children’s bicycles and cars to designated parking areas since toddlers always follow the rules.

thanks for your input!
Old 12-19-2023, 03:10 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

we actually lock ours in the garage unsupervised with leaking chemicals in the 5th bay. He learned how to pick locks but knows that’s only for emergency situations.

I think I’ll swap out my C7Z to full fiberglass to avoid dings and organize my children’s bicycles and cars to designated parking areas since toddlers always follow the rules.

thanks for your input!
Sounds like valuable life skills there. You should start showing him what chemicals he can mix to start a fire, never know when an emergency requiring fire will come up.

I also can act like a child, no reason for us adults to.

I was just saying that your best bet is to try to organize a "their stuff" side and a "Daddy's stuff" side. No, it won't be perfect. If you're worried about scratches, PPF the sides so that gets scratched and not the paint. Of not, you just gotta accept the realities of kids. My kid is still young enough that he doesn't go in there alone, but by the time he's 6 or 7, he probably will be able to go in and get his helmet and bike out. Will he always be careful to not scratch Daddy's car? Probably not. But it makes me feel like my chances are a little better having the kid side of the garage and the adult side, even if there's nothing that is physically preventing it.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:58 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,758 Likes on 2,132 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Different times we live in maybe, my dad taught me very early to respect others property..
Old 12-20-2023, 10:35 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
Different times we live in maybe, my dad taught me very early to respect others property..
There's only so much you can do with a toddler. My little guy has a few toy cars he LOVES. He will sometimes put them near his be so they're with him when he wakes up. Even as much as he loves them, sometimes bad things happen to them and he breaks them. So if a toddler will accidentally break a toy they love, they'll accidentally scuff Daddy's car.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:44 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,758 Likes on 2,132 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Yeah that sounds scary.. like you said nothing you can do... maybe make good friends with a good detailer and touch up guy?
FAUEE (12-20-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Garage protection from toddlers

Quick Reply: Garage protection from toddlers