Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

To all the proponents of Protectant 303

Old 01-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To all the proponents of Protectant 303

I asked this question in the thread where people voted for their favorite interior dressing, and 303 won by a large margin;

I've tried the Protectant 303, and I have to ask what all the fess is about?

When I applied it, it seemed to smear on rather than glide (if you understand my meaning). It was not glossy, but then again some people don't care for too much gloss. When I have used products like SOG, Nathan's and so on, even on dry dashboards, it stayed wet or rich looking. 303 for some reason seems to dry out, and then leave a smeared residue. You can actually see the different directions the cloth went in as opposed to a uniform coating. On the area like the cup holder/ashtray lid (which seems to be metal), it again had a smearing look. Further, it seemed to evaporate off as I was putting it on. You can see the difference between an untreated portion vs. a 303 treated area, but it is not significant. Also the bottle claims it repels dust/lint. but within minutes of finishing, there was dust that settled on the center console (easy to see being black).

Sometimes when looking at a label, or reading instructions, you get a sense if a product is "top shelf" or run of the mill. This stuff seemed to claim that you could put it on anything & everything, from tires, weather-stripping, cloth tops, rims, and all car interior areas including leather. I find that hard to believe considering that many people buy it for boats, and RV applications. Let's face it, the stuff they put on Rolls Royce's leather interiors is not meant for rims, inflatable rafts, and the dog & cat.

Having said all the above, there must be some reason that people like the stuff, but I want to know what they are basing their opinion on. Was it like me that they went by others opinions based on the stuffs reputation, or did they actually read where it was tested and came out on top?

It doesn't seem any different than other dressings I've applied, and it's a lot more expensive. My question (which I should have asked first) is what evaluation are all you 303 users going by? Was there some type of comparative test done by a neutral trusted source?

[Modified by Z Factor, 10:21 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 07:29 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Default Re: To all the proponents of Protectant 303 (Z Factor)

I've uses 303 Aerospace Protectant for several years and haven't experienced the problem you had. I saw it at a show & tried it & liked it. I didn't see any independent research. It was only about $10, so if it didn't work I would have tossed it.
I only use it for the interior & it provides a dull sheen that looks better than showroom new to me. It seems to last quite a while. I do the dash every few months and don't notice a huge drop between applications.
Did you start with clean surfaces? I wiped mine down with a slightly damp cloth before the first application. Was the dash hot when you applied it? That could make a difference.
Sorry the product didn't work for you. It works for me.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:04 AM
repvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.303-products.com/pricing/...protectant.htm
Go to their website - they will give you an answer.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:55 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Believe it or not, your initial 303 experience is not that uncommon. I have heard on several occasions people state, "Why do people really like this 303 stuff? I can't get it to apply evenly/smoothly, it streaks and looks bad." My feeling is that 303 takes a little getting used to, but it can provide excellent results once you get a feel for the product.

Having a clean surface is crucial. You are not going to get the same results if your dash, doorpanels, etc. are dirty/dusty or even if they contain any old protectant/product that you may have applied in the past. 303 applies best to a clean, dry surface.

For best application the surface should also be cool to the touch. The applicator that you choose to apply 303 with is a personal choice; many people like the small, yellow foam pads. I prefer a special type of microfiber towel for application (the exact name of this towel escapes me right now, but it is extremely smooth and contains no nap. It's not for use on the paint, but works excellent for applying 303 in a very smooth/uniform manner).

A little 303 goes a long way, and there is no need to saturate the applicator. Do not be afraid to lightly buff over the 303'd area with a quality microfiber towel once the area has dried - this is a very effective way to address the streaking that you are seeing.

I think the main reason that many people really like 303 for their interiors is the finish that it provides. 303 leaves the interior looking "factory fresh" - it will never leave an area looking like it took a bath in baby oil. The factory fresh appearance is one that you must like if you are going to appreciate 303. If you are looking for a higher shine product, I'd recommend Vinylex. I personally like Vinylex for my tires.

I have received many compliments at car shows on the appearance of my interior; people question what I use and I tell them 303. I have been using it for the past 2 years.

Don't give up on it yet. Make sure your surface is absolutely clean, choose your applicator wisely and do NOT be afraid to ligtly buff the area to even out any streaking that you are seeing. If you give it a little time and work with it, I think that you'll develop your own method of application and a better comfort level with the product.

And yes, 303 can be safely used on leather. I apply it to my seats when I know that my car will be sitting in the sun all day at a car show - it contains UV40 and gives me peace of mind.

Good luck and don't give up on it.

:D
Old 01-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Z Factor
Race Director

Default Re: To all the proponents of Protectant 303 (stevenll)

I only use it for the interior & it provides a dull sheen that looks better than showroom new to me. It seems to last quite a while. I do the dash every few months and don't notice a huge drop between applications.
Did you start with clean surfaces? I wiped mine down with a slightly damp cloth before the first application. Was the dash hot when you applied it? That could make a difference.
Sorry the product didn't work for you. It works for me.
I can't say the dash was free from the previous dressing, but it was free of dirt as I did the same thing with a damp cloth. The dash was not hot at all, and I only used one coat. maybe it needs more than one coat to look good?

Someone suggested that it might be incompatable with whatever dressing was on there from the previous owner. Assuming that is the case, I wonder if I should use a cleaner to remove everything, then restart with the 303?

Repvet02, Thanks:), but the link doesn't work :(
Old 01-21-2003, 09:09 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Yes, starting with a surface that is free from other products is a better bet than applying over anything that may already be on there. :)
Old 01-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Z Factor
Race Director

Default Re: To all the proponents of Protectant 303 (rubyred93)

I missed your first reply while typing my own, thanks.

Since you think it wise to start from scratch, what is a good safe cleaner to use that effectivley removes previous/fresh dressings?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:47 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Pinnacle makes a vinyl cleaner that is supposed to be effective. I have a bottle in my arsenal of products, but have not used it as yet. As far as a "home remedy" goes , I have heard of several people using a very weak ratio of Dawn (or similar dishwashing liquid) and water mixed in a bucket, thoroughly wringing out a cloth, cleaning the surface with that, and using a separate bucket of warm water and a different cloth to remove the cleaning agent - repeat several times in order to be sure the surface is
'rinsed". This is the method that I employed when I first purchased my car - previous owner thought it was okay to bathe the interior in Armor All. :nono:

I hope that you find that the 303 works better for you in the future - it really is a great product.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 AM
repvette
Racer

info@303products.com
Try this one -
Old 01-21-2003, 04:08 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: To all the proponents of Protectant 303 (repvette02)

I've Protectant 303 for years.I bought 303 in a marine store and used it on the vinyl on a boat I had 8 years ago.
I was one the first,if not the first on the board to recommend 303. ;)

I know what you're talking about....I think.
I used it for the first time on my wife's new car.
A black dash.
The first time 303 seem to blotch and not go on evenly.I think the dash somehow absorbs more in some areas than others.
Try multiple coats and it will even off.
Once it does next time one coat will be fine.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

[Modified by 69er, 4:11 PM 1/21/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To To all the proponents of Protectant 303

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To all the proponents of Protectant 303