Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sun Tek Auto Film

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sun Tek Auto Film

I have a few reliable film installers close to where I live. Two use XPEL and another uses Sun-Tek. I've heard of XPEL.

Anyone here used Sun-Tek? Any comments or experiences to share?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2023, 01:12 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,758 Likes on 2,132 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Hopefully someone will chime in that has heard of them...
Old 03-04-2023, 09:46 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
I have a few reliable film installers close to where I live. Two use XPEL and another uses Sun-Tek. I've heard of XPEL.

Thanks!
“Buy the installer, not the film” Go with whichever installer you feel most confident/comfortable with. Differences in major PPF brands are relatively insignificant while the differences in installers can be very significant.

C7 getting STEK Dynoshield: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/2019-corvette/

Cayman getting XPEL Ultimate: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/20...pray-ppf-more/

Equally pleased with both. Sun-Tek has been around for quite a while, no worries if your preferred installer likes them. The installer is the key to PPF Happiness before, during and, most importantly, after the job.

The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
GoFast908Z (04-08-2023), NextOne (03-06-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 03:54 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Have had both and I'm here to say that the products are fairly equal in durability and cleaning and so forth.. the installer can make or break the product's representation.

Sloppy install = terrible product (see where I'm going with this?)

Installers must be incredibly careful to thoroughly clean the paint (no contaminants, period) and the panel edges must be perfectly aligned. I'll notice a finger print under an exotic car ppf application and ask the owner where they had it done and most times these are the boutique shops that start at over $2k for basic ppf coverage. It all comes down to the installer. Is he having a good day or not? How many cars has he done?
Old 03-25-2023, 10:29 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

It is made by the Eastman Corporation. LLUMAR.com and Suntek both are. My shop STL-Best.com uses LLumar films and the quality and finish is second to none.
Although a Professional Installer can make a job good or great! They can't get the best results without a quality film to start with.

Narrow your search down to a couple shops after talking to them on the phone (you should be able to tell who knows what they're talking about rather quickly) then go by there and check out the film and some of the vehicles that they are currently working on.

I not only allow that with my customers but I encourage it!
The following 2 users liked this post by SSTG:
cmonkey713 (04-01-2023), Innovative714 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Innovative714
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb

Thanks!
I am an Authorized SunTek installer out here in Southern California, and I can truly say it's an amazing product. From their Paint Protection Film, either Ultra or Reaction, their proprietary software "Core" and their customer support in my opinion is second to none. They manufacture the products here in the USA, and Eastman is a well know player in the automotive and film industry. Personally, I like the fact that SunTek has less structure or orange peel in the finish once it's installed whereas Xpel to me has always had more orange peel look to it. Both are very similar, warranty, etc.....But most importantly is the prep and the installer. Keep in mind its "Paint Protection, not Paint Perfection" when it comes to PPF, and the expectations going in should be very clear.

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Innovative714:
BudgetPlan1 (03-30-2023), SpectreOne (04-11-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Sun Tek Auto Film

Quick Reply: Sun Tek Auto Film