Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Water Ban - Waterless Wash? Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 07:25 PM
704set
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Water Ban - Waterless Wash? Car Wash?

My C8 has always been hand washed; foam gun, 3 bucket wash, etc. Ceramic coating has been applied professionally. A complete water ban has been declared in my town. The car doesn't get very dirty as it is garaged. I only see three alternatives.

1) Waterless wash makes me nervous the car will get scratched. Thoughts on this? It only takes one swipe to screw up the paint job.
2) Take the car to a car wash that has the wand and the customer walks around the car. Thoughts on this? Harsh detergent?
3) Do nothing.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:40 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 542 Posts

Option #4 - Break the Law.... You can easily wash your car with less than 10 gallons of water. Doing a load of laundry typically uses around 20 gallons - same thing for taking a shower.

I'll bet that things like doing laundry / showering etc. weren't covered in the town's ban... Wouldn't it be nice if they just said every house gets say 50 gallons of water use a day - use more and you get fined (with the fines going up progressively as the usage exceeds the limits - with doubling the limit resulting in a 2 month water shut off) - you figure out how you want to use the water to meet the requirements.

As for your three "legal" choices - most of the car washes use recycled water for applying the soap - and YES - the detergents HAVE to be very strong to remove dirt without any actual agitation. I believe the rinse water used in most of these facilities is typically fresh water (remember - it's not OK for you to use water to wash your car - but it's fine for the car wash to use water to rinse off your car.......) I'm not a fan of these places for normal car washing - but I have de-greased a few engines in these self service car washes.

If the car is not too too dirty - I've used the spray on waterless washes before, and they seem to be "OK" for very very light cleaning. (Ever watch Barrett Jackson or Mecum auctions - and seen the "detailers" who clean up the cars a few feet before they hit the auction block - they are using the waterless detail sprays....) Personally - I far prefer using a foam cannon - and rinsing the car off, and it's possible I might have utilized option #4 a few years back.....
Old 08-25-2022, 10:43 PM
QuickSilver20
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Unfortunately with a water ban your choices are limited. I think I would try and find a self wash station that would allow you to use your own chemicals since what is in their sprayers is normally pretty harsh and may remove your wax or sealant.

one other option would be a rinseless wash. Still not as safe as a traditional wash but would be safer and offer more lubrication then waterless wash.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:00 PM
MrNiceGuy!
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes you can use a waterless wash but I find a rinseless wash a much better alternative.
https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...lsess-washing/
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (09-16-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 11:22 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

move
Zjoe6 (09-08-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 11:47 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I had used ONR in 2 buckets with 2 gallons in each and now McKees 37 which I think is a tad slicker. I got these ideas here. Also when on the road I spot remove any bird crap or bugs and it works good also out of the spray bottle.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:12 PM
mkel2010
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Being in SoCal where water has been a constant issue the last 10 years, I recently switched to Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash. I've had zero issues with scratching, even on a very dirty truck that hadn't been washed in about a year. I used a good quality washing mitt with two grit guards in the bucket. I will say it is much easier to wash this way and if you include using Turtle Wax Wax 'n Dry, you end up eliminating several steps in the washing process.
The following 3 users liked this post by mkel2010:
704set (08-26-2022), indebt (09-14-2022), joemessman (09-23-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 12:14 PM
704set
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I had used ONR in 2 buckets with 2 gallons in each and now McKees 37 which I think is a tad slicker. I got these ideas here. Also when on the road I spot remove any bird crap or bugs and it works good also out of the spray bottle.
What is ONR and which McKees 37 product are you referring.
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:23 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by 704set
What is ONR and which McKees 37 product are you referring.
Thanks.
ONR and Mckees 37 I buy on Amazon. Will get data as working later.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by peter pan; 08-27-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:16 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I myself, and some others have had excellent experiences with. I keep a few gallon water jugs of it mixed up all the time...

WOLFGANG CONCOURS SERIES WG-1650 Uber SiO2 Rinseless Wash

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SFPHKGX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

The following 2 users liked this post by Gixxerman:
indebt (09-14-2022), joemessman (09-23-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 12:21 AM
HAMBO
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a similar conundrum a while back. I opted for your option 2 (use the local pay & spray), and then followed it up with a rinseless wash. Would either bring my bucket with rinseless wash and towels to the car wash place, or if it wasn’t too sunny, drive home with the car still wet and do a rinseless at home. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 08-31-2022, 03:02 PM
endus
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts

Breakin the lawwwww breakin the lawwww!

I respect the reasons for water bans, there are certainly major drought problems in the country, but when I see businesses watering their grass, golf courses constantly watering, government buildings watering, swimming pools, etc. it makes it hard to respect a restriction that prevents me from washing my car on a reasonable frequency. Luckily things aren't that bad where i live.

Got a garage where you can wash it inside?

Not a believer in waterless washes myself.

Barring other less legal alternatives I would go to the spray wash at night when there is no one around to complain with all my wash stuff and just hand wash it there.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:28 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by endus
Breakin the lawwwww breakin the lawwww!

I respect the reasons for water bans, there are certainly major drought problems in the country, but when I see businesses watering their grass, golf courses constantly watering, government buildings watering, swimming pools, etc. it makes it hard to respect a restriction that prevents me from washing my car on a reasonable frequency. Luckily things aren't that bad where i live.
I would have a LOT more respect for them IF they would simply set a use quota, and let people make the decisions on how they wish to allocate the water they are allowed to use.

For the life of me - I can not understand how it's "Acceptable" to preclude a private citizen from washing their car - but to allow a Car Wash Business that uses "some" recycled water to continue to operate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Purple92:
ChrisBlair (09-04-2022), endus (09-01-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 01:47 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 1,001 Likes on 505 Posts

I have a total outside water ban here, and I have a 'summer-only' car, just not a Corvette (yet). It's a driver but a nice one, abouit 11K miles a year, May through October. And it is constantly kept whistle-clean during the drought. My neighbors joke about it. They ask what it is (it's a Pontiac) and I tell them "old junk". But during the drought I keep the car clean two ways, and I have a large, rotating supply of microfibers of various softness, my faves are the three at 3x2 for drying that have different nap on each side. Bigger than that isn't worth it in my opinion. The caveat is I know I'll also need to have the car buffed by a pro this fall before storage, as I cannot do as good a job as I normally do and yup, I have some very shallow scratches now, about two dozen. That's a real "it'll buff out" and I can't get too upset about this first-world problem no matter how much I'd prefer to not have the problem.

1) Every week or so I go to the do-it-yourself place at dusk. They recycle the water to the extent that the town (different town same watershed) allows it. Like others here, I don;t get it; they are wasting water too. I guess they pays their taxes and gets their perks. But I pop 10 bucks into the machine. I have a bucket, my car wash soap, and my dedicated wash sponge with the lil tentacles. I rinse the car well and then wash. The bucket's to immerse the sponge about a third of the way only. An employee complained. I told him my money, my time is still on the counter, complain when I'm not paying. Now, I would prefer two buckets and a screen of course but the car's a two seater and the trunk is for the roof so that's not so easy. But I can do that all in about 10 minuets, the car is small. As always, teh sponge does the work, not my muscles. I'll get any tar bugs etc off after. Then I park in the shade and dry, and use the product I need for bugs etc, and I use spray wax. I still like Mother's better than the Turtle wax in this regard but the TW is good.

2) Every morning I get up 10 minutes early (so about 4:20am) so I can have time to spray the car with Turtle Wax Ceramic 3 in 1 Detailer. I've had the same bottle for about 7 weeks. Cheap enough, really easy, and fast. I am actually impressed with the product overall, it's the best spray detailer I've ever used. They say you can use it on glass...I tried it, it's OK for glass but not impressive in my opinion.

Now, when I get my C2....it will not be getting washed by dousing the car with gallons of water. But I think it's very possible to keep paint damage to a minimum and stilll keep the car clean as a new pin and dry.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:08 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
I myself, and some others have had excellent experiences with. I keep a few gallon water jugs of it mixed up all the time...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SFPHKGX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

This. I can use all the water I want and still prefer this. There's no way im spraying my car with a garden hose spewing hard water. You chose to live in desert climate you will have water shortages. Just ask a cactus.
Gixxerman (09-22-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:42 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

ONR user here. In AZ dust is what you battle.
One gallon of softened water with ONR, fluffy 16” microfiber, spray bottle of ONR diluted to prime a panel, Griots Spray n Wax to spray on before wiping off with a PFM.

I can detail a C7 in 30 minutes.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:20 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Received 596 Likes on 272 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This is the best and Love it. I haven't washed a vehicle in awhile using water and buckets. Have it mixed in a spray bottle and use it on wife's daily SUV, along with my daily and Vettes. Highly recommend it. Literally takes about 10 min to clean a vehicle.
Gixxerman (09-22-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Water Ban - Waterless Wash? Car Wash?

Old 09-16-2022, 08:11 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 704set
My C8 has always been hand washed; foam gun, 3 bucket wash, etc. Ceramic coating has been applied professionally. A complete water ban has been declared in my town. The car doesn't get very dirty as it is garaged. I only see three alternatives.

1) Waterless wash makes me nervous the car will get scratched. Thoughts on this? It only takes one swipe to screw up the paint job.
2) Take the car to a car wash that has the wand and the customer walks around the car. Thoughts on this? Harsh detergent?
3) Do nothing.

Thanks.
I used Chadwicks, literally go months before Washing car.
Works real good, shiny as a ****
Old 09-22-2022, 12:58 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

uses lot's of microfibers when you use rinseless, just a tip
The following 2 users liked this post by Gixxerman:
indebt (09-22-2022), joemessman (09-23-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:01 AM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Received 596 Likes on 272 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

uses lot's of microfibers when you use rinseless, just a tip
Yes. I love these and pick them up either through here or AutoGeek with coupons. My favorite microfiber for sure. I use to think microfiber is microfiber, and any parts store is good. Now, I believe I know better.

Quick Reply: Water Ban - Waterless Wash? Car Wash?