Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

oily residue on black paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 08:37 AM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default oily residue on black paint

I always notice a faint oily residue after using any of these products: beadmaker, turtle wax seal and shine, turtle wax ice. The the viewing angle needs to be a bit tangent to the surface and many wipes with clean microfiber only reduces it partially. Anyone else notice this and is there a technique to eliminate this?
Old 06-29-2022, 09:31 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

FWIW I have no info from those listed specific products, but

Perhaps too much product is on the car.
Rags are contaminated.
To quote Phil Collins (singer), "There's something in the air" like a nearby such as a leaking air compressor.

Good hunting.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:40 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have used ice on daily drivers and use beadmaker quite often, never had that problem. It does sound like too much product being used. It only takes a small amount. Beadmaker technically needs to cure 2 to 8 hours before cure/set. As stated above do check your microfiber or applicator. I would use a microfiber applicator and buff off with microfiber cloth. Avoid sponges as there will be a tendency for a sponge to "hold" too much product. I would also check your car for some kind of contamination? Beadmaker definitely needs to be shaken up well before use. Just a few thoughts. I hope you can figure this out.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:11 PM
QuickSilver20
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

It could very well be that your using too much product. I know turtle wax recommends o my using 2 sprays per panel to avoid this. Also I’ve used this and their ceramic spray and I’ve found if I wipe and buff with the same panel I have trouble getting everything off. So I started to use one towel for the wipe and initial buff and then do a final wipe for a clean towel to ensure all the product is removed.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 222 Posts

Whenever I use a new product on the car I always strip any existing products. Use a paint prep or 50/50 iso alcohol and water.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:06 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

As others have recommended, strip all coatings off and start over. Wash, clay. IPO wipe down. Might use well do a good paint correction before you seal and protect. Make sure your micro-fiber towels are perfectly clean washing with a good MF detergent, double rinse with vinegar. The MF can get contaminated with various products and oils that will wreck your project. You may want to replace your MF just to make sure.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:27 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I used beadmaker over Collinite 915, and had no problem.
I wont put it over the 3 coats ( inside within 24 hrs, 8 hr apart) of Fuzion i have now,
All products do not play well with each other as im told.
Agree w/ the others, make sure you're not using too much.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:56 PM
endus
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts

I have no experience with these products but people do tend to put way too much on the pad. It's important to remember that you're buffing off all but the thinnest layer, so there's no sense in loading up the pad...it just makes more work to buff.

You can also use some quick detailer that's compatible with whatever type of product you're using to help buff difficult spots.

I've been through a lot of detailing products over the years and, in my opinion, if a paint protection product is difficult to use just throw it right in the garbage. There are so many products that are very easy to apply and buff, don't stain trim, provide an excellent shine, etc. that it's not worth struggling.

Pinnacle's products aren't under rated, most people have very good things to say, but I think they're under used. If you want a polymer sealant, Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant is probably the easiest detailing product to use that I've ever tried. I wouldn't even call what you do after the application "buffing". You just give it a light wipe and you're done. If you want a wax, Pinnacle Souveran is similarly easy to use.

Get notified of new replies

To oily residue on black paint

Quick Reply: oily residue on black paint